The Collections of an Unimportant Clerk

RP-related board archives from Act V forums.
Undying
Character: UNK

The Collections of an Unimportant Clerk

Post by Undying » March 19th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Disclaimer
The contents herein contain the comprehensive; albeit non-contiguous and incomplete; recordings, missives, and collections as put forth by one Oryn, the self-described clerk and historian. While some of these works were later refuted in the subsequent decades after being uncovered, most represent a genuine look into the clerk's chronology of the events.

22 Goldleaf 1344

I have begun my journey to the First Province with little more than some coin in my pocket, ill-fitting clothing, a writ of clean health, and a few odds and ends taken from the reliquary; dispensation and "severance" following a long clerkship chronicling the travelers departing the Western Territories on very much the same journey that I make now. My father had only a few words for me as I left: "Do not squander this opportunity as you have your others." The words rang heavy with me as I have long known myself to be a disappointment to his legacy. He saw in me the potential of being the kind of soldier others could only dream of becoming. Such are the burdens of sons...always to disappoint when they find a different path to walk.
It was strange to remove the colors that I have worn for so long, stranger still to know that should I wish to return to the office I could simply re-don them and abandon the potential of my life ahead. I do not know how these next few months shall go on the road, or even if I shall survive the mere journey. I do know that should I survive the perils of travel, I will have a far more daunting challenge ahead. His comments were clear; something is amiss and he lacks the proper perspective to deal with it directly. As his charge I am to set up a shop, begin a periodical, and report back my findings on the occurrences, people of note, and organizations with potential in a way that both chronicles them for the annals of history during these momentous times and in a way that best captures their essence for potential future operations. Only time will prove if these efforts are in vain.

Undying

Re: The Collections of an Unimportant Clerk

Post by Undying » March 20th, 2019, 12:19 pm

14 Highharvest 1344

I have been on the road for almost a month and have met quite the menagerie of travelers hoping to find a better life in the east. A smattering of those I have met are destined for the same locale to which I go and I think I shall find safety in their caravan. An older man, Judson, has told me of his dream to farm pigs within the First Province. Indeed I have learned much about the trade through our frequent conversations in the evening as we huddle about a common fire ranging from the best feed to bulk up the beasts to how to begin domesticated feral pigs. I don't think I have ever met a man so in love with the various cured meats obtained from the swine.
I am forced to wonder, though, how dire a predicament he and his family must find themselves to displace the entire group hundreds if not thousands of leagues for the simple prospect of improving their station. I am routinely reminded of the perils of the pass and the arduous nature of this long excursion. Yesterday we passed the remnants of a burnt wagon train. Whether they were afflicted with Torment or beset upon by some band of brigands now counting their spoils is a question that shall remain a mystery for I had neither the time nor the inclination to waylay myself from my mission to investigate this further. What it does seem to underscore is that these are desperate times and that the resources of the Republic are straining under what seems to be an assault from all sides. Tales of the Resolve expanding, of seditionists becoming more and more brazen in their attacks, and of the very fabric of the Republic itself fraying seem to be more and more common.

The following should make a good observation for the higher-ups.
The state of the economy as evidenced through a series of interviews with pilgrims, artisans, and guild leaders. Save this topic and expand upon it.

Undying

Re: The Collections of an Unimportant Clerk

Post by Undying » March 29th, 2019, 10:17 am

21 Thawmist 1345

"I was granted an audience with Reeve Amos today; more so, I paid him a visit and requested said audience to ensure I had the blessings of the local authorities as I continue my entrepreneurial adventure into the publication of the Praesidium Provincial, a local circulation attempting to capture the main events of the area and allow me the necessary placement and access to record the happenings for posterity.

Begin Note: Reeve Amos Dossier
First met: 21 Thawmist 1345 in the early hours. Subject seems to keep odd hours at his office based on guard posture and lighting therein. Subject seems congenial enough, but belies a hidden skepticism. Subject appeared to be unsure of what to make of 'Oryn.' Subject appears to have little tolerance for mockery and a deep pride in the Republic, as befitting his station. Subject seemed most focused on the VIC presence and had passing interest in the various sub-factions which have emerged; asserting that the Republic is the first and foremost authority in the lands.
Subject had a keen interest in ensuring the publication continues as it would likely afford him a mouthpiece and method of disseminating information to the citzenry should the need arise. Subject was willing to go on the record and was interested in what 'Oryn' would gain from said publication. Persona assured Subject that his interests were also, first and foremost in support of the Republic. Subject agreed to recontact following second publication. End note.

The meeting was pleasant enough and the Reeve had the ability to carry the conversation; yet appeared unsure of the current context of the VIC and their role as a power within the province. He was unwilling to commit to the recent claims by Naum, but there appeared to be no love loss between the two.

I very much enjoyed the conversation and hope to continue the exchanges in the future; however, I must note that I must be far more discrete in my engagements as I gained a tail. One 'Avi' seemed to be very keen on my whereabouts following a conversation with the guard. Indeed he appeared to have followed me and kept close tabs on my movements. What his role in this is has yet to be determined. I do not think my orders from headquarters could have been intercepted and I do hope that he is merely an overly interested citizen (unlikely) and not an agent of the Resolve or some other such faction looking to undermine my way ahead."