Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Post by Azareil » February 28th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I was thinking and speaking with another about this. Whenever someone gets Mortality, the typical play style becomes 'play it safe for a week' until it wears off. There's no incentive to actually go do anything risky because of the PD chance.

I was wondering if it would be plausible to add a reason for people to go out. A bonus to infusion gained via combat of 10% bonus infusion per point of Mortality, capping out at 50% for 5.

I might actually want to go out instead of just staying logged off or sitting in a tavern.

Kadda
Character: Basti

Re: Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 1:53 pm

+1

But, I'd be worried about murder hobos giving bad RP motivations to just grind infusion. Maybe make PD give more than just 1 Mort?

I mean 1 Mort it's always felt a little hollow as a consequence for ending someone else's story anyways.

Wyrmlance
Character: Svatomir Varga

Post by Wyrmlance » February 28th, 2019, 2:29 pm

I think I've replied to a thread like this before. Mortality is meant to be a penalty, it's not meant to give boons of any kind to you. If you don't want to do risky things due to Mortality, then just stay in town and RP instead of going out to hunt. If you can't handle the risk, then don't take risks from the beginning. Mortality can be avoided easily by either not being reckless to begin with or not PDing other people.

Also - murdering someone doesn't just flat out give you 1 Mortality. I believe it's a slightly random figure. This happened to me on one occasion:
You end the life of a helmed figure!
You have gained 4 Mortality.
Your Mortality is now at 4.
I do think it should be a higher amount though. I feel like from 5 to 10 per kill might be better.

poorchinix
Character: Raithe Atlas

Post by poorchinix » February 28th, 2019, 2:34 pm

"poorchinixYesterday at 12:02 PM
Oh
and neat idea
Instead of mortality lowering infusion, it should INCREASE IT
to make people live more riskily
:wink:
The realization of your mortality causes you to take things more seriously.
If ReqServ had an AI it'd agree
RexYesterday at 1:46 PM
Hmm interesting idea"

THINK IT'S TIME TO MAKE THIS A THING BOYS. Lets see if we can get any Cons, because this does seem to be something that could add some excitement.

Kadda

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Con is exploiting it for infusion... I can foresee some crafters just suiciding to a wild boar just to sit in town and farm infusion faster for the next week. Also it could encourage people to just make up loose RP to PD people and go on murdering sprees, which tend to just kill the mood.

Its a great idea to start conversation though.

What if the balance was when you have mort you get higher Sanctuary bonus, that way you're encouraged to RP in town for that week?

Additionally - again, Mort for PD should be higher. Ending a story should be a serious choice, not the same choice as some bad luck with a wild boar KO.

Verange
Character: Yuri Mustolov

Post by Verange » February 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm

In my opinion gaining mortality shouldn't be something you get any benefits from. I doubt that few percentages of extra Infusion would make people play more riskily.

But I do think that the amount of mortality received from PDing someone should be upped. Upon taking someone's life it should spring straight up to about 30-50% mortality. If this was the case then the Infusion bonus from mortality could be considered, since hunting would become really dangerous. For example something I'd enjoy would be that taking someone's life always gives you 30-40% mortality, but you also gain a similar percentage of Infusion bonus.

Kadda

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Verange wrote: February 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm In my opinion gaining mortality shouldn't be something you get any benefits from. I doubt that few percentages of extra Infusion would make people play more riskily.

But I do think that the amount of mortality received from PDing someone should be upped. Upon taking someone's life it should spring straight up to about 30-50% mortality. If this was the case then the Infusion bonus from mortality could be considered, since hunting would become really dangerous. For example something I'd enjoy would be that taking someone's life always gives you 30-40% mortality, but you also gain a similar percentage of Infusion bonus.
Maybe to still encourage PvP but not PD you get decent infusion for KO'ing someone. And yeah - heavy Mort for murder.

Thing is you' still have the "they'll just log off for x weeks" problem. Which hurts RP.

What if you make it so you have a higher Mort on PD, but the more kindling bonus/sanctuary gives you an RNG chance of lowering the amount of days to wear off, that way you're encouraged to keep playing while having Mort?

Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » February 28th, 2019, 3:43 pm

30-50 mortality is something I actually like the idea of. It makes people think about PDing someone. I bet the injury system would see a lot more use then.

Maybe if Kadda's thing is implemented that KOing can grant infusion, there's also a chance whoever did the knocking out of gets mort too so it can't be farmed.

Kadda

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Azareil wrote: February 28th, 2019, 3:43 pm 30-50 mortality is something I actually like the idea of. It makes people think about PDing someone. I bet the injury system would see a lot more use then.

Maybe if Kadda's thing is implemented that KOing can grant infusion, there's also a chance whoever did the knocking out of gets mort too so it can't be farmed.
Yes, I love the idea of KO'ing someone gives you a chance - or heck, even just gives you 1 mort. Then PD gives you 30-40% to really make people think about their RP motivations.

Being an agitator, or antagonistic should give you some penalty so you don't farm infusion either.

Add that with an option to spar, so that KO while sparring doesn't inflict Mort like discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1299

Hel
Character: Emma Averesch

Post by Hel » February 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm

I don't support this suggestion. I think it stems from poor and inappropriate play styles.

The mortality system is a penalizing system for choices that your character makes. Say your character keeps challenging a powerful cultist and doesn't give up, recognize their weaknesses, and seek out safety. Then your character is going to continue to get knocked out and wear themselves down further until they finally can't get up again and die. Your character should not choose to stop testing their luck with respect to dying because you, the player, are aware of how high their mortality level is. If anything, your character should choose to stop testing their luck and go play it safe elsewhere because they recognize that they're wearing themselves out by repeatedly getting knocked out and whoever or whatever their opposition is has the upper hand, meaning that continuing to take up that challenge is risking death.

Your character should not be aware of a number in a mortality system. You, the player, are. To have your character respond to your knowledge of that number is poor roleplay. OOC and IC knowledge must be kept separate. In the First Province, it is reasonable that characters understand that death is likely at all times. That includes when you, the player, see that their mortality level is at zero. Your character should not accrue mortality, decide to play it safe for three out of game weeks, and suddenly decide it's okay to go hunting again on the day their mortality level reaches zero again because you, the player, are aware that it has finally reached zero again and you, the player, are aware of how the mortality system works on an entirely mechanical level.

The mortality system should offer no rewards to characters. It is a penalizing system for poor choices made in character. This game isn't about "winning". There is no winning in Requiem. The greater risk is the reward from an entirely out of character perspective because it aids with immersion in a deadly world. Your characters wear out, get weak, fail, and die. To give infusion bonuses during times of heightened mortality negates that, so I am absolutely opposed to this idea.