The Legacy of Dragomir Varga

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
Controll
Character: A Diabolist

The Legacy of Dragomir Varga

Post by Controll » March 23rd, 2021, 9:32 pm

🔥

Dragomir Varga

The obedient always think about themselves as virtuous, rather than cowardly.
- Robert Anton Wilson

[[ Most spoilers redacted, but minor ones below - read at your own risk. DO NOT METAGAME! ]]

Character Theme: Death is the Road to Awe

Roleplay Organization Background: The Keepers of Eden's Gate
Act V Roleplay Posts: A Warning to Witchkin

Roleplay Philosophy Background: Enemies Within the Gates of Eden (or Seven Essential Questions And Their Answers Regarding Strixology, Witchkin, Daemons, Sin & Salvation)

Full Name: Dragomir Varga
Birthdate: Around 1305-1310 (late thirties).
Birthplace: A farm near Gaenthgrand.
Birthsign: The Moon

Appearance

Height: Average height.
Weight: Average, perhaps a bit on the light side.
Eyes: Bright blue with an inquisitive gaze.
Hair: A shiningly bald patch of skin.
Skin: Pale, scarred.
Handedness: Right hand dominant.
Posture: Confident with hints of a military background.
Hygiene: Basic hygiene, though his hands are often dirty.
Scent: A scent of black powder mixed with blood.

Physical Description: All around rather average, there is nothing that would have him stick out of a group. He wears mostly practical clothing of a hunter suited for roaming in the forests, seemingly favoring the colors of black and purple. A black prayerbook accompanies him everywhere, along with his black hat of a witch hunter.

Personality

General Health: He is in good physical health - mentally not so much.
Profession: Apostate Hunter
Faction Affiliation: The Black Wolves (aka The Vigil)
Languages: Common and some basics of Principal Speech.
Accent: Speaks like a peasant that has been taught a few fancy words.
Roleplay Tools: A prayerbook ("The Vigilant Flame") and a black Witch Hunter hat decorated by a silver buckle depicting a wolf.

Hobbies: Talking to strangers about Decus, performing penance, hunting coyotes, general paranoia, studying the Creationis.
Habits: Wearing sunglasses at night, spontaneously raving about Decus, getting filled by the Divine Essence, rubbing his bald head, drinking moderate amounts of cider.

Personality Description: Dragomir seems to have fallen into some sort of a religious mania and is keen to voice his devotion to Decus. Generally speaking he is humble, polite, thoughtful and friendly, however when feeling the pseudo-schizophrenic callings of his Lord he is quick to loudly judge others, call them heathen, spit on them or even slide to violence. Regardless of his voiced trust towards others he seems to have trouble actually carrying out that trust. Instead he looks like he is constantly looking for an escape route.

History: Born into a huge family of apostate hunters raised by a single man known only as the Father along with his three wives Dragomir was taught the trade of religious accusation on an early age. Not much is known about the home of family Varga, except that it was near Gaenthgrand and offered a strict, religious upbringing with lots of punishments. Dragomir spent his early adulthood as a travelling witchfinder together with his brothers, however in the end only his twin brother Radomir would accomppany him to the First Province.

They arrived to the First Province with legimate Foundry visas using the public appearances of journalists seeking to start a newspaper to document the life in Fort Praesidium. Only a handful of editions were published before the newspaper was discovered to be a mere front for some zealous cultist activity. Ensuing violence took Radomir's life, and after a murderous revenge carried out of spite Dragomir fled from Fort Praesidium only to return after a little over a year - a time clearly not enough to convince him that the Archangel's wrath was not about to descend on him.

Strengths: Curiosity, humility, humor, prudence, self-regulation, perseverence.
Weaknesses: Antisocial, biased, hostile, judgmental, paranoid, zealous.

Governing Virtue: Spirituality
Governing Throne: Murder

Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Re: The Legacy of Dragomir Varga

Post by Controll » March 25th, 2021, 8:48 pm

O Brother, do you hear my prayer?

I do know that after you joined the dancing Angels of Heaven you must have watched over my every step and protected my journey... and even if I can no longer speak with you in person I know that you will hear my words.

Much has happened after your passing. Your death was too much for my weak spirit. It exposed my soul to the Thrones - worst of yet to the Thirteenth Throne - that of the Prime Hatred herself. The Thirteenth's wickedness overcame my soul and under Her influence I committed a heinous murder where I thought I only made a righteous retribution. I never even learnt the real name of that Squire from the Order, but it did not stop me from stealing his life. Now that Squire is my ticket to Hel. His impaled head on a spike sits on the Throne of Murder, waiting for my arrival so that he may judge me in death as I judged him in life. I could not bear to take responsibility for what I did... so I fled and hid in the Fallen Frontier to live in solitude like the coward I am.

There was no doubt in my mind that I would perish as a heathenous hermit, yet once again did I underestimate our Lord's mercy. Months and months of groveling in self-pity, shame and hatred brought forth a Divine Revelation. Mankind's time on Eden is not yet due, for there is a Divine Plan for our Salvation. As hope is lost a new Saviour will appear in the First Province. A mortal that will Ascend beyond Humanity and lead all the Faithful into a glorious redemption. I do not yet know where they are, who they are or even if they have yet Ascended. I was foretold that the Ascendant will be Mankind's Key to Salvation. A new leader to take up the heavy mantle of Decus himself. A second coming of the One True God.

I had to find the Ascendant. This gave a new purpose for my forsaken life... and so I returned to civilization. The Lord works in mysterious ways. It must be some of his strange humor that I came to meet a brother of my brother's killer. His strong faith convinced me on that very moment. I learnt much from him, and that made me regret my sin even further.

Dear brother, your death was a terrible result of much misunderstanding and hatred. It was then that I understood how much we truly must avoid the infighting of all that are Faithful Decusians. Avi had been right: the infighting of zealots will be the downfall of Faith.

To my surprise I had not been forgotten by all. A fierce Huntress named Patricia approached me shortly after my return. Like our family she had also been working long as a Witchfinder. She spoke of the Vigil sending a group known as the Black Wolves to reclaim the First Province. As one of these Wolves she wished to raise more like-minded people and asked for my aid. Our meeting must have been another chapter of the Lord's guidance. What else could I do but accept?

And so we have worked to make the Fallen Frontier a better place. It was astonishing how many members the Black Wolves turned out to have... many of them keep their membership a secret to avoid persecution by the Magi-minded, however they are still a great aid. They even managed to set up a settlement amidst a very hostile territory. The Vigil has friends and collaborators in many places. Certainly some of them do spy for our cause, but our cause is the just cause of Decus, so surely they could not judged as participants in the Throne of Falsehoods for that?

Our battle is carrying fruit. Do you still recall when you and I first entered this Province? Witchkin ran around with no writs and no shame... the Heresy would jump into your eyes no matter where you went. The sacrifices of people like you, I, the Black Wolves and perhaps even some of the Order has brought forth a change. Witchkin are now even harder to identify than ever... they hide their dark arts well, skulk in recluse and pretend to be ordinary people. The Faithful have well struck a Fear of God deep in these Apostates!

By the blessings of Decus I have had the pleasure of meeting many more good people. The Black Wolves are a hardy but good-hearted group, though sometimes their uncompromising attitude reminds me of myself before losing you. Especially Patricia's unbending attitude would make a cube of hardest steel melt solely out of envy. Greyson is an experienced Hunter and a formidable foe to all Heretics. They probably think of me as soft for fearing fighting between Decusians so much, but they have proven to be trustworthy over and over again.

Hope can be found from many outside the Vigil as well. Koss is a good-hearted giant that left an impression the first time we met, and Samara appears to be a woman of True Faith regardless of her young age. Tyr was brave enough to take part in an exorcism even when he had no prior experience. Josephine de Ravin appears to be a True Believer even if she is a Highborn.

The Order houses more fine people than I could have believed after our initial encounter. The Seraph is a wise man, and his loyal Knights appear well educated. Especially one man that knew a fancy word for our preaching practices left a mark on my memory. He called it "self-flagellation" - I had to look that up from a dictionary! Abbess Ramona gives fine sermons on the Virtues. She was the first Clergywoman I confessed to in years... and the only person that I have told of my fall to the Throne of Murder. Young, innocent, intelligent and inspirational enough invigorate a need in me to start publicly preaching again. I find her easy to talk to, yet somehow I feel that I must be cautious when near those bright blue eyes.... after all I cannot afford succumbing to the temptations of a woman while on a Holy Mission!

And Decus wills it that Holy Mission shall be a grand success!