Of Messy Apartments

A general forum for all in-character posts as they relate to Act VI: Absolution, the characters that inhabit the world at large, and the events that help shape both.
YeOldenMan
Character: Slayton Forsythe

Of Messy Apartments

Post by YeOldenMan » July 8th, 2023, 12:33 am

“Ten gold?” The price had seemed a bit steep, he had thought to himself. Business had been good lately though with tool sales. Hel it seemed like every week, he’d sell out of something or another and had plenty of work to do replacing inventory.

“What do you think, Meddler? Should I buy it?” The old man turned to the Kaduraan and noticed his furrowed brow immediately.

“Dee location is good. But it angers me a bit that he would consider charging for it.”

The old man’s face crinkled a bit at the notion. “I might wait him out a little while. I told him if he can get that for it, to go ahead.”

The pair found the door to the shop locked. Slayton cupped both hands on the outside of the window to peek in. The workshop was quite a bit bigger than his apartment, and devoid of any furnishings. Though he figured he could fill it up quick enough. His apartment above the Risk was getting messy. It had eventually earned him a nickname from a new friend. Truth was, tripping over logs and ingots and wrappings and whatnot wasn’t exactly good for the old man’s health and safety. One of these days, he’d catch a toe on a board or something and break his damn hip.

Looking through the glass, visions had started to pop into mind of how he might arrange his worktable. How he might be able to display his wares. Might even bring James in and let him sell from there.

“Eh. I’ll catch up to him later. See if I can talk him down a bit.” He thought aloud.

-- A few days later --

In the meantime, he’d meet and grow closer to a new face in the province. A wise woman. Near seasoned as long as he was. Slayton had always been one for trying to help a little bit to each new face he’d meet. But this time, it was a little different. Perhaps she reminded him too much of someone else, and that was hard to ignore.

“The soil is much richer here in the province than back home.” She stated. And perhaps that was enough to pique the man’s interest. He decided at that moment that his new goal was to help her feel more settled in the province. He would make it a point to aid her in tools and what little knowledge he had about growing things here. After all, the soil here was different from Ghaenthgrad as well.

Her elation at watching growing crops and excitement of figuring out how to make them healthy felt very familiar to him. His late wife had been the same way – giddy over finding mushrooms or growing the perfect head of cabbage. The Tribal Woman's warmth was enough to fill a cold void he had carried as of late.

"Oh. This is your tent? I've purchased a couple tools from this man," she stated.

"James. Yes Ma'am. Let me get you the coin back for what you've bought," he returned. The Wise Woman tried to refuse but Slayton would not let her, already fishing a few coins out of his pocket.

"I could use a man like this to sell some things for me."

James Vaughn let out a crooked grin and insisted he knew a woman who could take that job. His own wife, Rochelle. She would be set to start working alongside him in the morning. And Slayton would charge no more than one copper per month for the space.

-- A week later --

"You still interested in that Workshop, Old Timer?" the dealer inquired. Slayton had made his way up to the Captain's Quarters, even if he was late for the games.

"No takers huh?" The old Miner coughed after he asked and provided a rosy faced smile to hide try and hide his embarrassment.

"None serious." The boy answered.

"Hmm," Slayton paused. "I've pondered on it for a bit. Even thought of how I might arrange it. But Ten Gold is too steep. What's your bottom coin on it?"

The young man's smirk turned downward slightly. "Could you do Six?"

Six was very doable, at least in the old man's head. Hel, ten was doable if he wasn't lying to himself. Six coins might've been more than what anyone else had been willing. And truth be told there may not have been anyone else willing to buy it anyway. Jakell was not exactly well-received by many. He had already considered letting the boy waste another month's rent on the empty shop. See if he couldn't just snatch it for nothing. But he had considered already that his own apartment had grown far too unorganized. The pair made their way down to the workshop to finalize the deal.

Now the issue of exactly how to fix it up. How to actually use the space. He'd already decided, even if he did purchase the shop, to let James and his wife stay in the tent outside the Fort. That location was good enough he thought. So the workshop would be mostly just that, along with a living quarters and storage.

-- The next day --

The old man set himself to work; moving all his gathered belongings down the stairs. "How can one man accumulate so much junk in the course of a few months?" he'd ask himself aloud. Tired bones and aching back, he decided to take a break for tea. Upon his return to the shop, he met a young lass, strong of back and vibrant of purple hair.

"Whatcha doin?" she asked after they had exchanged pleasant greetings. "Need some help?" she would ask after he had told her of his chore.

The man's bottom lip puffed and he paused before answering. "I wouldn't want to put ya out on such a boring task Lass."

"Oh it's no problem at all," the western lass returned. "I'd love to help! I'm not doing anything anyway."

The old man considered her a moment before he gave her a smile and nodded. It was good to have help. Even if it might have made him feel helpless. But the lass hung in there with him. She repeated that she could carry more and more each time he'd hand her something. Truth was, it would have taken him days to get it all moved. The aid of a giddy young lass was a welcome sight.

It would still be a few days more before he was ready for guests and customers. He set to work on organizing his Messy TeePee.

Attachments
SlayWorkshop.png
SlayWorkshop.png (375.57 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
MessyTeePee.png
MessyTeePee.png (230.42 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

Meriel
Character: Burning Leaf

Re: Of Messy Apartments

Post by Meriel » July 10th, 2023, 7:50 pm

The first few days had been a whirlwind of activity - people meeting her at the train, helping her furnish her room, showing her around the fort. When those days were over, she struggled to find her balance. Instinctively, she leaned on the routines forged over a lifetime but every day was a new reminder that she was far from her home and her people. Even simple tasks, things she had done countless times over the course of her long life, turned into mountainous undertakings.

Growing crops was something she knew as well as the veins and spots on the backs of her weathered hands. But not here. Here the soil was different. The weather was different. There were bugs infesting her plants which she had not seen before and it alarmed her.

“You will have to ask someone for advice,” her inner voice told her. But her inner voice couldn’t say who. This feeling of helplessness, of being alone and adrift threatened to overwhelm her. She took a slow walk back to the fort, heart heavy with loss and head spinning with incomprehension.

Walking in the same direction, a little way ahead of her, she saw the old man from the marketplace who she had earlier seen helping someone to light a cigarette. That circle of the old teaching and the young seeking advice was familiar and comforting. If she could get his attention, maybe he would know.

The relief when her plants were healthy was almost palpable. “This is making me so happy,” she said out loud without realizing it. After the pressing despair, this elation needed to find some escape. Her balance had been restored and her confidence began to slowly grow once more.

She returned to her routine, following the trails of animals, foraging for food and herbs and farming - always the farming. The rhythm of it soothed her. Rising early to tend the crops in the dark, resting during the brightest part of the day and returning to the fields again after the sun had set was an extension of a lifelong practice and it comforted her.

After a few days had passed, she saw the old man again and stopped to thank him. She brought a small gift to his flat to show her appreciation and concealed her reaction to the clutter. She swept the stool clear and sat on it, striking up a casual conversation about nothing in particular. Soon this was a pattern that was often repeated and when he moved to new quarters she brought a housewarming gift, noting again that though slightly larger, it was still packed tight.

She parted company that night with a warm smile and a twinkle in her eye. “Goodnight, Messy Teepee.”

YeOldenMan

Post by YeOldenMan » July 29th, 2023, 9:42 pm

Of Relocation and Starvation

"Forsythe!" The man had called out through the cavern. "You've been called up. Pack up and report to the Office as soon as possible."

Thoughts started stirring in the young man's head. He didn't want to be called up, truth be told. He knew that could mean relocation to anywhere in the whole of Vitaveus. The girl he had started to fall in love with was here, in Aetherun, three tents over. Such was the way though within the Foundry Ranks. And there was no arguing the fact. He packed up his meager clothing and a few letters he had been saving. He sat down at the desk and quilled a new one to leave behind. Then, he made his way to the small office in the middle of town.

"Congratulations, young man, Reeve Garrington wishes your presence in Ghaenthgrad." The young man nodded once, firmly, to the older gentleman. "There will be a coal wagon heading out later tonight. You are to be on it by Third Dawn." The man handed him an unopened letter and a subsequent Request of Transfer form.

The boy gulped before confirming, "Yes sir."

It was a great opportunity, and one he had been working towards for two years. He just did not expect it to move him from Aetherun, away from her. He knew she would be proud of his accomplishment. The problem was, she had not been in camp for three days. Often, the Apothecary foraging trips lasted a week at least. Slayton could not expect to see her again before his departure.

-------------
The Coal Wagon approached the encampment flanked on either side by Horsemen carrying swords. Such security had been even more neccessary in these troubled times. Dozens of people, mostly Westerners wearing little more than rags with barefeet, crowded closely to the wagon. The threat of the Gendermarie kept them honest. All they had wished for was food. But this wagon carried coal further west to the coast of the Goodsea. The only cargo to get off was the young man sitting atop the buckboard.

Slayton grabbed his bag and surveyed the area. The poor excuse for a camp was littered with a few tents, a rundown barn and a silo; busted across the bottom and held up with temporary posts. Slayton shook his head at the sight and made his way to the barn as the droves of people, most of which he was unable to communicate with, surrounded him. "There's another wagon behind me with food. You'll all have to be patient a little longer."

"You must be..." The old man looked about the table, rustling papers, "Forsythe. My name is Samuel Crayford. The current foreman of this reclaimed establishment."

"Yes Sir. But it looks a little less than such, Sir." The young man studied his face a moment, before continuing. "Didn't seen no mine on the way in. What did they send me out here for?"

"Best you keep your mind open, Lad. This place will one day be whatever you make of it." Crayford stated. "And the Foundry thinks you can handle it. Prove them right."

Slayton looked down at the man in the seat. His weathered face told a story of countless days in the sun. His knuckles were not so much swollen with the impact of tools as they were cut up. Small slice scars ran horizontally across the back of his hands and up his forearms. When he stood to walk to the keg in the corner of the room, Slayton noted his hunched back and slow movement. This was not a man the Foundry used for laborous work anymore. This was an instructor of sorts.

"And what of all these hungry mouths, Sir? I had to tell them another wagon was behind me to keep them from wanting to eat me."

"There will be wagons coming this way. Afraid they may not have food on them though. I've requisitioned some materials. Those wagons are a few weeks out." The man swigged from the ale mug. "As for the folks out there. You'll be in charge of putting them to work. Most of them come from Drolund or Ostenam. Watch the Volgens. And be ready for fights. The Gendermarie get the bulk of the rations. The rest will be up to you. I'll only be staying a short while..to help you get established."

---------
With Crayford long gone, the young man had fully taken over as the Foreman at Boiling Springs. His ingenuity and a few Foundry manuals had carried him through the first growing season. Work was nearing a close on the Silo repair. And Foundations had been stacked for a tenement to get these people out of the upcoming winter weather. The rudimentary flour mill had been re-stoned and the tools had all been sharpened.

Slayton had chosen a select few, mostly because they could speak a bit of Decusian, to be straw bosses of the plantation. In these men, he tried his best to instill work ethic. He would lead with them in the fields. He would bunk with them under the tents. He would show them how to think. And together, they would figure out how to build a prosperous settlement. Carved away from the chaos their lives had been accustomed to.

YeOldenMan

Post by YeOldenMan » July 30th, 2023, 12:08 am

"Sir, it's a carriage just pulled up." A wiry fellow with dark, weathered skin stood in the doorway of the ramshackle barn. The building had been the one thing Slayton had not put much thought into repairing. He saved it, as motivation perhaps, to improve the settlement as a whole before improving his own conditions.

"Thank you, Garrick." The young man finished the line he was writing before even looking up. "I'll be out in a moment." He finally looked up and squinted at the sunlight emanating around the lean silhouette. He stood and turned to the water bowl and tried to rub a bit of ink off his hand. "Well go and unload it, Garrick."

Slayton moved to the doorway, adjusting his eyes to the sunlight while he tied his long brown hair behind him. He took up the straw hat and placed it upon his head as he looked to the Carriage. Garrick pulled open the door and raised his hand to the passenger. Outstepped a lass as beautiful as ever was. She halted with only one foot on the ladder, raising her eyes to scan the surrounding area.

The Foreman's eyes met hers for only a split second before the straw hat flew to the ground behind him. Garrick's instincts were right to move away as she lept down from the step, caught in the arms of embrace.

"My prayers have been answered!" The elated man finally stated. His arms draped around her lower back after the conclusion of likely one of the longest hugs in the history of hugs. "Gloria! I can't believe it's you!"

Her blueish grey eyes glinted in the sunlight. Her rosy cheeks tugged upward, and she leaned in to kiss him. "Both of our prayers, Love. And my letters." She grinned. Slayton's brows furrowed a bit with confusion. "Oh, dear. I may or may not have requested a transfer of my own."

Garrick grabbed the woman's bags and shook his head, a soft smile forming upon his own gaunt face. He followed the pair toward the barn and placed the bags on the ground as the door shut in his face. His smile widened as he bent down to grab the straw hat, placing it upon the door handle and turning away.

Meriel
Character: Burning Leaf

Post by Meriel » August 3rd, 2023, 1:49 am

“Come back to the desert, Takala.”

The voice was distant, otherworldly and Tawasha had trouble focusing on it. The young woman was in the throes of her first vision quest, wandering in the spirit world. Her body was no longer in the lodge where the ritual started. Her family had moved her to a tent a few days ago after the others had awoken and the clans began to depart for their settlements. Tawasha’s family kept a constant vigil with the shaman and it was the shaman who spoke.

“We are in the painted canyon, Wakilo.”

Outside the tent her mother was whispering with one of the elders. The words did not reach Tawasha, only the energy. Her mother knew it was unusual to remove someone’s body from the lodge while they were still disconnected from it and she was scared. The elder was trying to console her. “She has wandered far on her journey but she will return. It has happened before.”

The wandering was over and the desert clans had come together for their first gathering of the new season. The gatherings were a time for extended families to reunite and for new courtships to begin. The songs would be sung and the stories retold around the campfire, solidifying the history of the people and reinforcing their bonds with one another and their world. The gatherings were also a time of initiation, bringing young people together with the elders who would show them the path. The vision quest was part of that ritual meant to bind Tawasha to her purpose but something had gone wrong.

“Listen for the creek, Shadi.”

Then suddenly she could hear it. The quiet sound of the creek trickling low at the end of the dry season. She could see it as if from far above. There on the canyon’s eastern slope was the carving of the strange man pointing to the water. Further away, on the desert floor where the brush fire had been was the carving of the great spiral telling her she had gone too far and should turn back. Inside the tent, Tawasha groaned and stirred. “She is alright,” the shaman said reassuringly as Tawasha rolled to her side and began to retch.

Once the sickness passed, Tawasha turned onto her back, dug the heels of her hands into the hollows of her eyes and groaned again. Someone helped her to sit up and commanded her to drink, placing a cup in her hands. The earthy scent of the clay vessel made her queasy but the water was cool and refreshing in her dry throat. Another command to drink was followed by another sip and slowly the spinning in her head came to a stop.

The shaman spoke again in his soothing voice. “You traveled far, Tota Kai, but now you have returned.” He then placed his hands on her shoulders and recited the traditional words to seal the ritual. “You are back among the People.”

Tawasha forced herself to breathe rhythmically like she had been taught, matching her breaths to the movement of the tent walls as they seemed to breathe with life. Her mind was a jumble of images stitched together haphazardly and she was trying to make sense of them. Mostly she was left with a feeling that grounded her here to this place and these people - a deep sense of belonging and a strong connection to her ancestors. Her initiation was as a storyteller who would memorize and recite the histories and songs of her people. She would be tasked with keeping the clan connected to one another. As such, she had been prepared to connect with the past, but something unexpected had happened while she was inside the ritual.

She was given a glimpse into a future where the desert was empty but for the husks of her clan, the people she loved most in the world, shuffling around as walking corpses. She saw herself as an old woman adrift in the world, alone and unprotected. The final image was a face at once familiar and strange - a young man, pale and green eyed. She felt an unexplainable protectiveness and as she was returning to full consciousness a single word echoed hauntingly in her mind.

“Remember…”