Animus Storage

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Animus Storage

Post by Hagbard » December 19th, 2018, 8:00 am

Greetings!
So currently there is a cap of how much Animus we can store away, 100 if you have 100% soul potential.

I want to suggest some way of storing away this for future use.
My reason for this is related to how the skills are raised with animus.

I like to think that what skills we have rp-wise and what we have mechanically wised are not necessarily on a 1:1 ratio, and currently there is no way to make large sweeping changes due to the limit of 100 stored Animus.

Let's say for example that I was going through a storyline where my character participated in some ritual ,or as the sideffect of a spell, gained increased spell resistance.
100 Animus is not enough to bring up the skill to full, so it has to be done in lengthy increments.
If I could store away Animus, I could do it in one swoop.

I believe this would also prove beneficial to people who for some periods of time can not play, and end up amassing large amounts of Animus that goes to waste. Now people might say "Animus is only a mechanic", but it is in fact a gatekeeper to many of the shard functions( such as claims).

The concern that people has voiced over this is the example that someone would transform from Mage to Crafter to Mage overnight. Personally, I see this as a non-issue. The amount of Animus spent would still be enormous. And if someone did, what's the harm? If I play a mage, that mage may very well have craftmanship knowledge that is not reflected in his ingame skills.
Nevertheless, if there is a real worry that people would abuse it, you could input limits to how often you could "withdraw" from the Animus storage.

Basically, I would like to be able to store away Animus to the "Bonus Animus" part. There are many ways this could be handled, "Stored" animus not counting towards lifetime Animus for example. Another could be to increase the maximum stored Animus to 1000 instead, so it could still be evenly divided by Soul Potential.

Thoughts on this?

poorchinix
Character: Raithe Atlas

Re: Animus Storage

Post by poorchinix » December 19th, 2018, 10:19 pm

That inability to jump from 0-100 is the whole point. There is too much room for abuse with stored animus, you could make a full crafter and store animus until they could just suddenly become a full mage or warrior.

Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Re: Animus Storage

Post by Hagbard » December 20th, 2018, 1:40 am

How is that different from storing enough lifetime animus and then dying and reincarnating with all the Animus you could wish for to spend?