Durability hit with skinning

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Durability hit with skinning

Post by Kent » April 25th, 2021, 1:24 pm

Durability hit when skinning with a sword is really pathetic. A decent sword will get 5 - 10x as many skinning uses as a single skinning kit, and a blacksmith repair deed runs almost equivalent to a skinning tool on the current market.

Playing earlier today, i was nearly in a panic when i used my last skinning tool. Figured i'd give it a whirl skinning with my sword....several hours later, the sword has finally gotten to 'battered'. Gained about 40% skinning skill in that time(organically)

Lans
Character: Koss Brynd, Lugh Arawn, Lans Tan'tare (dead)

Re: Durability hit with skinning

Post by Lans » April 27th, 2021, 12:41 pm

Kent, you also dont USE that sword; if you're skinning with your sword it will last a good 3x less as long when hunting; and that invariably widdles down permanent durability by having to repair it more often.

As someone who actually uses his sword and skins with it, I can honestly say even with Equipment Management III; its doing a good job exactly where it is, because I still have to repair after each trip 'and' carry multiple swords. ((Though I would love to see the skinning knife usable without equipping it, since thats the only thing keeping me from using one. Too impractical mid-hunts to change out to a skinning knife after every kill 50x+ a run.))

Lucien
Character: Lucien

Post by Lucien » April 27th, 2021, 3:22 pm

I think the argument is that you can carry a sword in lieu of a skinning knife which renders the item obsolete. In other words why would I carry a skinning knife when a sword does the job better?

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » May 4th, 2021, 12:44 am

Having done some more research into this, i can say that there is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever use a skinning tool. Using a sword, with none of those perks you mentioned, uses ONE DURABILITY per skinning attempt. That's to say, when you open the menu. Not harvesting individual pieces. Each time you skin a creature, it uses one durability. When i have 600 durability worth of swords on me, the loss of one durability to completely skin everything off a creature is very inconsequential. Having one sword at 100 durability is equal to having dozens of skinning tools.

It should be changed to take a durability for each item you attempt to harvest. Every eyeball, sinew, etc etc. Right now the only reason someone would buy skinning tools is ignorance of the mechanics of how it works.

Sic
Aeolian Staff
Character: Isidor Abendroth

Post by Sic » May 4th, 2021, 4:17 am

Kent wrote: May 4th, 2021, 12:44 am Having done some more research into this, i can say that there is absolutely no reason for anyone to ever use a skinning tool. Using a sword, with none of those perks you mentioned, uses ONE DURABILITY per skinning attempt. That's to say, when you open the menu. Not harvesting individual pieces. Each time you skin a creature, it uses one durability. When i have 600 durability worth of swords on me, the loss of one durability to completely skin everything off a creature is very inconsequential. Having one sword at 100 durability is equal to having dozens of skinning tools.

It should be changed to take a durability for each item you attempt to harvest. Every eyeball, sinew, etc etc. Right now the only reason someone would buy skinning tools is ignorance of the mechanics of how it works.
The rationale of implementing a skinning tools had nothing to do with replacing swords, but simply to allow a method of skinning without having to disarm a sword and introduce an alternative QoL option. Durability won't be changed for the sake of making things more difficult.