Some feedback on Divine Magic

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
AConcealedFigure
Character: A concealed figure

Some feedback on Divine Magic

Post by AConcealedFigure » May 28th, 2021, 2:06 pm

I think explosion, star fall and sun strike need a review

The three are almost the same spell mechanically except explosion and star fall are slow
Explosion would be better as aoe
star fall with knock down
Sun strike is pretty great where it's at.

Another that could use some love is lava pool. I haven't done a ton of testing but it seems very underpowered for the level of spell and the cost. Currently as far as I can tell it's about a 3x3 space which is nice but comes and goes so quickly that it might as well not be DoT. Either longer lasting, larger area, causes hobbling, any variation to it could add some nice variety to the different spells

AConcealedFigure

Re: Some feedback on Divine Magic

Post by AConcealedFigure » June 4th, 2021, 7:03 pm

New feedback on some other things.

So mages are squishy. Fortunately they have magical summons to help out right? So, divine has Firefly and Fire Elemental. From what I've heard, Elemental is a legend or something tier spell that would be near impossible, if not currently literally impossible to get. Firefly is easy enough, but it's more of a buffer to keep the baddies away. Doesn't do much damage, nothing special as far as defense or health. But having it helps. Unfortunately, even though I have the follower count to have 3, its cooldown is the length of the spell duration so I can only someone 1 that will last 5 min. If that one dies before the cooldown is up, I have to just wait until I can summon a new one or risk almost guaranteed ko.

Night sight needs some kind of buff. Right now, the repeated casting and the short term, indeterminate length makes it an inconvenience to cast on even yourself, let alone groups of people.

Awe is a great concept but seems like it's been over nerfed for such a high level spell. Lvl 99 for a chance of holding someone for less than 3 seconds seems like it would not be worth using because it would not be reliable in the event of actually needing it. If you do get lucky and get it on the 1st, maybe 2nd try, you better already be running b/c it's not going to last long if it's not avoided already through light armor or spell resist.

Levitate, while neat, seems to have no actual mechanical use other than showing off. Maybe that's by intention.

The last time I tried shackle spirit, it still did not seem to work. Might need to do some additional testing on that though.

Consecrate weapon could use some feedback like what you get with Curse weapon. It's hard to tell if the spell has taken effect, or for how long. An [enchanted] tag and it being visible in the [lore would ibe nice

Mektor
Character: Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 4th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Agreed night sight needs some tweaking. I understand the purpose behind its current concept, but at the end of the day it's just a very unreliable spell in terms of strength and length. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Levitate is peculiar, but it does have some uses when combined with teleport.

Explosion and sun strike seem fine, albeit maybe just a tad too weak. Being a direct damage dealer is not viable at all right now, so all those damage spells end up being rarely ever used unless you just like meditating a ton.

I agree Awe's duration/effect is pathetic. Although to be honest most if not all paralyze spells are similarly useless. Their cast time, mana cost, vs. their short duration and the very long immunity that follows make them practically worthless. I only use them to do tests, and never in actual combat.

Judgement is another spell which is too silly to be used. It is like a veeeeeeeeeery extended explosion, in that it deals damage 10 or so seconds after casting, if the target is already damaged. The only use I would ever see for it is in some kind of madman's piling of spells for burst damage, but with how long it is, that would be quite painful to plan.

Flame wave is okay, but it suffers from the same flaw as all AOE spells : the terrible, terrible diminishing returns the moment more than 2 monsters are near you. IMO the whole mecanic needs to be reworked, because AOE spells are only good if you have 2-3 mobs around you (forgot which it is), and the moment you go above that, you take a gigantic loss in total damage.

For instance, if Flame Wave deals 50 dmg to 3 mobs, it does a total of 150 dmg. Comes in a 4th mob. Now it deals 15 dmg to 4 mobs, dealing a total of 60 damage. I understand wanting to have a hard cap on how much AOE a spell can do so it doesn't become abusive, but right now it makes AOE spells useless except to bypass spell reflects, which should not be their point. Also, any hard cap should not make it so more monsters = less total damage.

Maybe using a hard cap point where the damage stops and is instead spread. For instance, if the hard cap on Flame wave was 200 dmg, then it would deal its regular damage up to 4 mobs (50, 100, 150, 200) and then cap at 200 and spread when there are more targets. So 8 targets => 200/8 = 40 dmg each. With 12, 30 dmg each. That way AOE would retain its utility without becoming overpowered in

Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 4th, 2021, 8:35 pm

Oh. I forgot Inferno. The latest change to damage has made this epic spell completely useless. It deals, I believe, 4x15 dmg, with one dmg every 3 or so seconds. So roughly 60 points of damage over 12 seconds. For an epic level 50 mana, 80 skill spell.

Malik Azer
Character: Malik Azer

Post by Malik Azer » June 4th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Judgement sounds quite silly, but also awesome, especially as a neat little suprise attack in certain pvp situations. Truly get them off-guard. Well... not anylonger :D

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » June 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm

I brought up AoE with Rex in Discord, and essentially AoE spells do 200% of their base damage and after that it is hard capped and split across however many targets. So it does the same damage to 2 targets as it would against 5 targets, but with resists being what they are and rounding down it feels like more damage is lost.

Here's the formula they shared which all AoE uses:
if (targets.Count > 2)
damage = (damage * 2) / targets.Count;
So if we have clear cases of the AoE actually doing less damage overall, we need to report it, but it seems rather difficult to actually prove (though maybe if I record so I can review the damage numbers later?)

Personally I'd rather AoE be weaker but not diminish so fast. Currently it only seems useful in cases where you want/need to ignore spell reflects (which hardly feels like a proper use of AoE to me)

Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 4th, 2021, 11:58 pm

As you say, it's hard to actually test when fighting multiple mobs, since the damage already varies from mob to mob.

If that's the formula I'd argue the overall damage is just too low.

Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 5th, 2021, 10:44 am

I just got Shackle undead and tried it this morning.

It either does not work, or no undead is actually an undead. (Already heard a player say that was the case, where all zombies and such are not considered Undead per se, so spells affecting undead only don't work. This would also mean Sword of Faith wouldn't leech health off of them, etc.)

Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Post by Hagbard » June 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Correct Mektor, this is because all Requeim custom npcs are of the "Humanoid" type, which you can see if you use Anatomy on them.

AConcealedFigure

Post by AConcealedFigure » June 5th, 2021, 2:16 pm

All undead have an undead tag. Fortunately some diabolists have been leaving their pets around and have been able to test sparingly