Shield Check Skill

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
silvrfist
Character: Vance

Shield Check Skill

Post by silvrfist » November 23rd, 2018, 10:47 pm

Hi,

I like to give some feedback on the skill, Im not entirely sure what happened to had changed it recently but I hope some tweaks can be made. Im not a max/min character so I dont really have previous data but from my memories it was working alright with hits and misses as often.

After the changes, there started to have another effect which is your character will "stagger backward" and be knock down for a few moments.

Shield check seems to be fine for most of the usual zombies and grey creatures, you hit and you miss. all depend on chances but once you start using on RED mobs it gets more irritating.

I have 95 strength and 100 Parry with all perks.

Eldra Illia
Manual Shield Check attempted : 18 attempts, 0 landed mobs
Auto Shield Check happened : 3 attempts, 0 landed on mob
Misses when attempting manual shield check : 3 miss
Total 24 shield checks happened , Zero hits at all.

Concealed figure (Mage in Aiwella)
Manual Shield Check attempted : 3 attempts, 0 landed mobs
Auto Shield Check happened : 1 attempts, 0 landed on mob
Misses when attempting manual shield check : 6 miss
Total 15 shield checks , 5 shield check landed.

its rather obvious that for NPC warrior with high strength, it is already impossible to be using shield check, manual or auto, on them. No doubt its more of an design issue as NPC if they have similar strength like a player , they might be too weak?

And these two are consider the more weaker Red mobs that we will encounter as we proceed further. Mobs with higher strength would be more common and it becomes more of an irritant then a perk since auto shield check already takes your Stamina and also drains your stamina when you fail.

Like I said, I do not know what abuse happened but perhaps even for mobs with high strength there should be a base percentage chance to succeed? 20 % to hit ?

maldonado
Aeolian Staff
Character:

Re: Shield Check Skill

Post by maldonado » November 23rd, 2018, 11:05 pm

If you have less strength than the party you are trying to shield check you have a higher chance to fail and basically fall over.

An example as you are running your shield into The Hound, the outcome is you will most likely land on your rear rather than the other way around.

We will look it over once more.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Post by silvrfist » November 23rd, 2018, 11:06 pm

Rubi wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 11:05 pm If you have less strength than the party you are trying to shield check you have a higher chance to fail and basically fall over.

An example as you are running your shield into The Hound, the outcome is you will most likely land on your rear than the other way around.

We will look it over once more.
Understand, and if this is the way to go.

[Edit]

1) The Logic is perfectly fine for PvP, but for PvM it feel wonky. Players dont get to choose the AUTO shield check. Please let us exclude targets for auto shield check for Red mobs. Since they are the one usually with higher strength.

2) Then again if its gonna fail so miserable against Red mob, I question the use for this skill perk to be worth. I dont need a knock out perk for grey weak mobs. Theres no base success chance for PvM, in case of Eldra Illra, you will just fail 100% of the time......what more for other greater Reb mobs.

Talexis
Character: Lucian Delavious

Post by Talexis » December 8th, 2018, 2:44 pm

As I said in chat, shield check as it is is not worth having. It is more likely to cause your death than it is to do anything else. It is also useless against the things you would actually use it for. In its current form it is purely a PVP skill that will totally disable you in PVM.

Sic
Aeolian Staff
Character: Isidor Abendroth

Post by Sic » December 10th, 2018, 4:11 am

Patch day will resolve the auto-shield check vs. NPCs that will stagger you, as well as a revised scaling for the hit as opposed to the all or nothing function in now.