Legacy of Viola Wandren

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
TheOriginalFive
Character: Viola Wandren

Re: Legacy of Viola Wandren

Post by TheOriginalFive » June 20th, 2021, 3:26 am

Sowing Sorrow

Ever since I moved into the seaside chalet and had full run of the nearby garden, I think I might have a handle on things.

The plants grew on, bringing something close to consolation. Could they bring closure, maybe?

I also found out that the doctor knows how to sew, much like Galryth did. That reminded me of the time Erilian noticed my newest outfit in dusty pink and liked it.

All the more reason I should learn how to work with fibers then.

Though it can’t bring Khalkeus or the others back, I promised myself that when the time comes, I will go to Tor. Not just for the people of Teneborough, but my family back home.

Maybe I will find out more about my ancestor Verona. Who was she exactly, long before the Torment, and before I was born?

Did she have her doubts, her troubles too?

Will I live up to her legacy?

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » June 22nd, 2021, 4:53 am

Too Hasty

I went into town to run an errand and restock Wondrous Wares. I’m not sure if Elsea is still hunting these days after Teneborough got blown up.

Mote, Mr Avi, and Gryhun were waiting on the roadside, as well as a new chef, Mero. Lucien Silvercrest showed up, then asked Mote to talk to him in private later. Then his father turned up and joined in on the chatter.

It seems I jumped to conclusions about what people thought of Teneborough. I’d cried to myself thinking they didn’t like us, yet the elder Silvercrest was civil enough to me and extended his sympathies.

Probably helped that Gryhun was there.

Flynn came back from hiding, looking incredibly sulky about something. Vance claimed it was a bad breakup that drove Flynn to turn himself into the First Torians’ custody again.

I thought I saw someone who looked like Khalkeus, but he ran off and everyone mistook my comments for trying to court him. Oh, just like the old days where I’d mistakenly assumed Thaddeus was being Josephine’s foster brother or Galryth doing the same to Samara.

Things really aren’t as straightforward as they seem.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » June 25th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Tidying Up

Much of the same as usual, I haven't dreamt in a while. Don't know if the doctor would take it as a good or bad sign here.

I still miss the others. The times we shared. Maybe if the Assembly had spoken more to the KMA people we'd find a lot more in common.

There are times I wonder what could've been if I didn't make myself scarce that evening; considering what I've learned lately. Would Lucien Silvercrest have been checked if I had asked where the other Highfielders were? Why were Flynn and Jakell accused?

Could Khalkeus, Tyr, and Kole have pulled through if I'd been there to voice some questions?

Too late to know, now. Things will never be the same again. Much like my newfound reputation for renovations.

I was asked to renovate the kitchen and office of the Rest, and later Gryhun's shack. Although I feel there could be more decoration in the latter, he liked it.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » July 6th, 2021, 6:31 am

Accused?

I was told something troubling. The Wolves believe that KMA is harboring a mage. As far as I know, that isn’t true.

Because Gryhun and Barnabas Haim happened to be in the underground of Aiwella Monastery with the others as a crack team, they came out to face that accusation.

It seems the Wolves had just finished killing a mage on the way there. Maybe they were high off the heat of battle.

Even though it’s not a direct accusation of myself, I’m worried about the others.

The following day Gryhun and the others went to the caves under town. I tagged along. I saw a lot of the eyeless that the Giant had mentioned a long time ago.

It was dark, dank, and overgrown with something I highly doubt was moss, but the others seemed confident that they’d make it through.

So we did, even though the eyeless had deafening screams and there were some mages hiding in the caves. I’ve never kicked so many things at once in my life.

Then we came to what was apparently the broodmother’s lair. A huge monster bowled Gryhun, Ashford, and Barnabas over, so all of us were running around in circles while the doctor and the previous three threw things at it and fired guns.

At that point all I could do was step out of the way. They killed one but a second broodmother showed up, so we made our getaway.

I was thankful once we all managed to get back to town. Learned a lot, but Gryhun and Barnabas were knocked over several times.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » July 22nd, 2021, 3:31 am

OOC: The events in this update were earlier than the story claims.

Tentative Reunion

The doctor asked Galryth to take a seaside vacation too. Wisteria told me so when I came into town to help her restock the stand last week.

Wanda complained that she didn’t see as many customers as before, while Athalia was worried about her pay.

I told all three of them that I’ll put up announcements to introduce them as staff of Wondrous Wares so that it would take the load off Wisteria while working.

I eventually ran into Galryth one evening, it was just as Wisteria said. He said he was staying there for quite a while under Theo’s care.

He looked very different from the last time I saw him. He no longer wore his suit and pants, but a loose fitting white robe. He also looked even more haggard. I should give him the lunch I promised the last time I left Teneborough.

Gryhun, Basti, Barnabas and Theo talked about the future plans of the Rest. It will take a lot of work from all of us there to pull it off successfully. It seems Ashford and Barnabas made a breakthrough, but I’m not sure what exactly Galryth would make of it.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » July 24th, 2021, 6:03 am

Jumble Sale

I went to the Fort’s docks to attend a jumble sale. Several abandoned lockers were up for grabs. Gryhun was there on Ashford’s behalf.

I noticed that Samara was sulking at the sight of the Silvercrests all over again. I don’t blame her reaction, they led the charge to kill Khalkeus and the rest.

Samara asked me if I was still running Wondrous Wares. I said so, but am no longer hired directly by anybody.

The first few boxes went alright, until the third, where someone was trapped in there! It was an old man who had literally become a jack-in-the-box. Samara had an awkward time trying to chase after him.

The Foundry clerks made remarks about how slavery is outlawed in the entire Republic after that, and I was worried about whether there were any more jacks in the box.

At some point one of the men in attendance was called Miss. He was incredibly offended.

If Erilian were here and he had been called a miss, I’m sure he would’ve liked that.

I tried to bid on a box full of hides, but Thaddeus got it first because there were other things he wanted inside.

Meanwhile, Mae kept trying to steal things from Flynn, who got angry and chased her all around town.

It was the final box that I managed to bid on. Oddly, among all the raw materials there was a little worn down key. I wonder whose it was.

After the auction, Thaddeus handed over some of the hides and textiles he wasn’t planning to use, then talked to Samara. She said that Josephine had been lied to by the Silvercrests that day.

I tried to defuse the situation but I probably made it worse, for Samara wished Lucien would get blown to pieces. At least Thaddeus didn’t think of putting spells on us for what she’d said about Josephine.

After Thaddeus left, Samara had a number of things to say to me, all incredibly unfavorable. Samara complained at me, even criticizing KMA for not doing much when the Assembly fell.

I told her it was one against many, I doubt I could fight all of them at once. She looked even more offended at the idea and said that nobody in the Fort actually cared about Teneborough.

I’d thought the same before Ramona’s offer to complete the death rites; then Furio’s comments, and finally Lucien’s regrets in earshot of Gryhun.

Finally, Samara criticized me for staying in the Rest. I didn’t tell her it had been Basti’s idea, then Theo’s in the first place. I just turned away and walked back home after she ran out of things to say.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » October 28th, 2021, 9:13 pm

The Case of the Exploding Peas?

Gryhun asked me to come to the Fort, but it wasn't to discuss things with Milton or about the rebuilding of the abandoned apartment complex this time.

When we got there, Lucien and a museum worker were looking at a charred patch of something. They said it was a large plant sprouting out of the doorstopper dolls that showed up a while back.

I was told that these plants often exploded into white muck. We rushed over to the Last Chance, which had been shut for weeks, and just barely saw another set of vines catch fire.

In a bid to lighten the mood everyone cracked jokes about the Legion, Galryth, or Ines being delighted at the prospect of a fire.

I finally saw a live doll vine at the Dogsbody. It was as tall as the peas I grow, but had white flower buds on it rather like eggplants. But eggplants don't explode into muck unless they're left to rot, much less when set on fire.

While Gryhun doesn't believe it has anything to do with the Torment, we agreed to try applying poisons to the remaining vines as soon as possible.

I certainly can't use the front gate of the Rest until we know what exactly those exploding peas are.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » July 18th, 2022, 10:23 pm

Reflecting

It had been several long months since I last wrote things down. Cerise, Florys, Niccolo, Tiziano, I hope you're all faring well despite the crazy times we're in. I hope you don't have to come to the First Province for your Calling just yet.

No, your big sister's not dead. I had the chance to reflect on a lot of things.

Yesterday, I went up to Bright Lantern with Artemis Trizz in tow. We were looking for cookbook pages, clothing patterns, and quite a number of device schematics for everyone else in the Rest.

I saw a white circus bear balancing on a big ball, a man selling festival masks and bejeweled pocket watches, and all the sorts of things that were like the flea markets back home. Except our neighbourhood's flea market didn't have a fortune teller.

I went to ask her what she thought our future might hold. She didn't ask me to cross her palm with silver, but she told me several things that trouble me.

First: She said I was clinging too hard to the past and unwilling to close that chapter.
Second: She said even if I find out the truth behind our ancestor Verona, it might not be the bliss I hope to give all of you.
Third: She said if I really want to be someone all of you can look on with pride, just as we looked up to Verona, I should step up and grab my own destiny.

I sat by the campfire for a while in deep thought while Artemis accompanied me. I told him part of the reason why I came to the Province, my time in Teneborough, and what the Assembly thought of me. Artemis and I eventually came to the conclusion that destiny isn't the only thing we can rely on in this world.

There was also the time nearly two months ago when the Fort put aside their differences to rush into a rat kingdom underground to get me back out again, because the rats all got it in their heads to abduct me. Yes, even the rats love Wondrous Wares. I didn't believe it at first even as it was happening.

We got back to the Rest, and Artemis told me a few things about Gryhun as well as the huge burned forest just east of the Fort. Troubled times, those.

Khalkeus and Galryth had faith that I was the light and soul of Teneborough. Perhaps I should start having faith in myself about being a light to the others too.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » October 17th, 2022, 2:50 am

Getting Around

I've been busy. How are things back home? Still good, I hope, even if letters rarely ever leave the Province. The last Republic Sentinel that turned up was from Highsun a year ago, wasn't it?

Back in Warmwind, Sindelar hosted a masquerade ball with the help of KMA. I went there in a blue dress made to resemble the night sky and just before dawn breaks. Many people turned up, including the de Ravins and Black Suns.

As usual, I prepared the food, and dropped it off at the Museum for Atticus Black to take care of. He asked if I'd like to dance with him. Recalling the promise I made to you, I didn't accept the offer yet. I must have put my foot in mouth about it again, for he looked quite disappointed.

It got rave reviews. I'd prepared meat pies, popcorn, peach pies, and roast duck; for soup wouldn't go down well at a dance party.

Quincy had a band backing him, even when he took time off to dance with a woman in red and gave her a flower. While I didn't dance, I was glad to see everyone have a good time, and was more occupied with guessing who was under each mask.

Ashford auctioned a legendary spear and hammer, but the latter had no takers. I would later learn that Constantine wanted to buy it outright.

The evening took a really funny turn after Ashford auctioned his legendary weapons, because Sindelar showed off the new shoes he made and the band played a grand orchestral song to commemorate the shoes!

All in all, it had been a good time.

More recently though as of Goldleaf, I've pondered the promise and how on Eden should I go about it. Maybe it's time to ask the tarot reader for ideas, since my initial plan to study first aid has fallen by the wayside?

Lucien tried to badger me to date someone, it turned out to be Constantine, and I didn't want to because I said I'd rather stay single for the time being. Unfortunately, after I blurted it out in the Risk, Drusilia overheard it and got really offended.

It was a real muddle, and I still can't believe that I keep getting signed up for speed dating programs.

TheOriginalFive

Post by TheOriginalFive » October 26th, 2022, 10:55 am

Cooking Class

I had the chance to host a cooking class for some people in the Fort. Constantine and Maeby were a great help as they turned his front parlor into a kitchen with several places for the others to cook on.

Mote, Nicolien, Lucien Silvercrest, Rikard Luzkin, Drusilia, Ikashev, and a few others I hadn't met were there. Mote said she would write about the class for the paper sometime, so she would just watch.

I started by showing the class how to roast ribs. Had to guide one of the huntsmen on how exactly to cook it with Constantine. He was very happy when he figured it out because it meant he could cook at his camp in future.

Unfortunately, Drusilia and Ikashev didn't look fully into it. I should've asked them to sit it out. Instead, they left their work to catch fire and everyone shouted to throw water on it although that was a grease fire.

Thankfully I didn't completely lose my head. I managed to get Constantine to put a lid on the burnt pot, while Lucien dragged Drusilia out. Ikashev laughed terribly. Meanwhile, we were worried about whether Drusilia was badly hurt.

Constantine asked me to go back inside and continue the class. I realized that he'd rather everyone gave Drusilia room to breathe. When I got inside, I resumed showing them how to make corn soup. Ikashev promptly tried to make it in the same burnt pot that caused all the fuss in the first place, so Constantine reprimanded him.

In the meantime, Adam, formerly of the Wolves, turned up in the de Ravin's bright red uniform. He still had a fondness for my cooking, though like Mote, he wanted to watch the process.

Finally, I showed how to make the intermediate vegetable soup that I've used for borscht and pies, which was carrot, celery, onions, and potatoes. It was a little challenging for the class except possibly Nicolien and Rikard.

Eventually, one of the men finished the intermediate soup and asked me to check. He did very well for a first try. I didn't get his name, though I think Lucien knew him.

There were some things I could've done better, like making sure everyone was alert enough not to start a fire. Despite those setbacks, the first Wondrous Wares Cooking Class was a success.

In fact, Nicolien asked if I could have a baking class. I agreed, though I told her that it would take some time to prepare, and I'd put up notices at least a week before it took place.

Now I have to compile a list of things everyone should bring in future.