Ines Carpintero

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
Carpenter
Character: Ines Carpintero

Ines Carpintero

Post by Carpenter » March 13th, 2021, 5:38 am

Ines Carpintero

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Diggers

Poets of the Fall - Choice Millionaire

Full Name: Ines Carpintero
Birthplace: Carpintero family farm, Ghaenthgrand, Midlands
Birthsign: The Cog

Appearance

Height: Average
Weight: Above average
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Skin: Brown
Handedness: Ambidextrous
Posture: Upright, prone to hopping
Hygiene and scent: Varies. There are days when she smells like baked goods and herbs. On other days, she carries the smell of rust, coal and sweat.

Physical Description: A slightly, barely, just a tiny bit shorter-than-average woman in her early twenties. One can tell that her physique has been shaped by backbreaking labor, which has left her palms callused. More often than not, she keeps her hair tied or braided out of the way.

Personality

General Health: Outstanding, if overworked
Profession: Farmhand?
Accent: A mixture of educated Decusian and Ghaenthgrand Yultish. Her accent might change slightly depending on how excited or focused she is.

Hobbies: Foraging, sprinting, metalworking, farming, cooking, tailoring, leatherworking, carpentry, tinkering, experimenting and research.
Habits: Tends to hop from one foot to another, and gets antsy whenever she is not doing anything.

Personality Description: Generally, an easygoing youth from Midlands with a healthy outlook towards life and strangers. Seeped in Foundry work ethic.

History: The youngest and easily the most restless child of a farming family, Ines never felt at home at the farm that was her home. Her elder siblings had long since carved their niches in the farm’s hierarchy, leaving the impatient girl seemingly no place to call her own. The work at the farm was ceaseless, but Ines felt trapped doing chores that were as dull as they were endlessly repetitive. That being the case, she took a chance at a very young age and sought employment with the Foundry in the Raven’s Bridge.

As expected, the Foundry found a way to work the young girl to the bone. What she had not expected was that she was gradually given more demanding tasks until she was pulled aside from the field to work in an office, where she was first taught reading and numbers. To the date, she remains somewhat oblivious to the reason. Perhaps one of her superiors figured out either her work ethic or knack for solving problems was worth investing in. Eventually, the young woman was taught more complex topics that occupied her mind for a while. Though many others would have seen the good fortune in the development, Ines yearned to return to more active labor.

Considering her tireless work ethic, skills and burning desire for discovery, it may not be that surprising that Ines was intrigued by the tales she heard of the First Province. Curiosity turned into obsession, and the woman spared no effort in securing herself a Quarantine Visa through the Foundry. Ines insists that the amount of work she put towards securing her Visa is nothing sort of herculean. It may be that the young woman is prone to exaggeration, or that her superiors sought to discourage their pupil from stretching out her wings. Either way, the woman could only draw a proper breath once she was guided through the pass and into the province proper. For the first time in her life, she felt that every avenue was open to exploration.

Strengths: Generous, intelligent and dedicated
Weaknesses: Severely lacking in attention span – or unreasonably focused and dedicated to one task

Governing Virtue: Compassion
Governing Throne: Enlightenment

Carpenter

Re: Ines Carpintero

Post by Carpenter » March 19th, 2021, 4:02 am

Hehe.. I've just pulled off the biggest prank I've ever done.
Wish I could see their faces.

Carpenter

Post by Carpenter » March 24th, 2021, 6:50 am

Oh boy, oh boy.. the second prank is not as big as the first, but.. oh boy.

Still, someone pranked me in turn. Pranked me real good.. it's a bit disconcerting, really.
What were they hoping to accomplish?

Carpenter

Post by Carpenter » April 11th, 2021, 7:35 am

A thought racing with the velocity of industrial equipment. The tireless echo of steam and clattering.

The problem is dealt with.
The thief is dead.
The job is done.
Solved.
Gone.
Absolute.

Consequences? What consequences? Everything is as it was. The thief is gone. I work like I used to, day in, day out. Everything is. Fine. Everything I thought above, every single phrase denies my agency.

Agency? What is agency? An action taken by my hand holding a tool of trade. An action I took with my own hand. My own tool. I have broken a man’s heart. Literally. That is agency, a choice. It is what I have done. It is what I will do. My agency.

I have killed a man.

A lying, thieving man. An irresponsible, evasive scoundrel. Hated by my allies, perhaps, but me? He intruded upon our domain. I saw a problem and I fixed it. He was a man like any other. Nothing changed. The man is dead by my hand. I killed him and life went on. Life is going on.

An expansion of my free will. Fallen walls. A broken cage. Of justifications and expectations. Behold a vast field of untamed opportunities. Every action has a consequence. Yet, a shift of paradigm. A consequence – not a punishment. What is truly forbidden? What is, in fact, allowed? What will be punished? What else may I do? What do I truly want? A tumbling lantern that gives motion to the shadows cast in place since time immemorial. Where shall I stand when it stops moving? Where shall I put the lantern? Everything is as it never was.

Huh, I killed a man and got away with it. I guess I'll see what else I can do.

“Conventions are shattering and warping as you realize the fixed things in life are not as stable as they are meant to look - arbitrary constructions of society to keep people in line. But there you are, ending the life of one person and the world did not end. His did, yours continued.”

Carpenter

Post by Carpenter » April 24th, 2021, 4:06 am

My own thing? A creative vision?
What could that be?

I was a seed planter
Garden-guarding life warden
Siblings' errand runner

I've become a tiny squirrel
Gilded-seed stashing rodent in the garden
Without a reason to quarrel

I am a loom master
Flax-twisting thread maiden
The creator of a new pattern

They don't know me as the heart-picker
Flesh-wrenching pick holder
With a mind to madden

A carcass-tearing wood craver
Tree-feller doing as bidden
Following a path wider

An enlightened inventor
Tool-making wonder technician
Spinning a candle in the darkness

Shall I become a metal bender
Blade-smithing throne-sworn
With armaments to offer

Will I find myself a toxin-mixer
Death-extracting and mask-wearing
Bottling up Heaven and Hel alike

A secretive flask-maker
Wild-minded master of shapes
Making dreams true

One day a master of the human condition
Flesh-exploring organ adventurer
Unveiling the flesh and the mind alike

An unashamed apprentice
Ever-growing, knowledge-soaking
Breaking one wall after another

A nameless face in a crowd
Tomorrow-bettering, hand-holding
The last hope for a damned soul

Ines Carpintero

Carpenter

Post by Carpenter » September 17th, 2021, 12:11 am

I have become everything I set out to become, and more.
Whatever I choose to manufacture, I am confident I can make it.
If I do not yet know how to do it, I am certain to find a way.

So where do I go from here?
Shall I chase immortality? A lasting legacy? A hitherto unimagined possibility? Perhaps, a cure - or a solution?