Ramona's Diary

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
skew
Character: Ramona

Ramona's Diary

Post by skew » June 2nd, 2021, 4:51 pm

Sitting in her little shack with a book lit by lantern light, Ramona dips a quill in ink and starts to write...
Dear Diary,

I've never kept a diary before. I never thought I'd need to write this kind of thing down. I thought speaking my worries and concerns to Heaven would be enough. But these last few weeks are not the sort of thing that Heaven wishes to hear, I'm sure of it.

I spoke with Viola Wandren after Josephine's funeral. I'm happy she came.

I offered to hold a service on behalf of Teneborough's dead. Just as every single man woman and child comes from the Light, so they should have a chance at a proper sendoff.

But what will I say?

Teneborough's soldiers fought honorably! They did as they were ordered. They died with with honor and valor. But they also died because they attacked Grae and Jo before anyone had even spoke any demands. The soldiers attacked the Legion as the Legion was retreating from Teneborough.

But they were following orders, as good soldiers ought.

What do I say about Tyr? About Renatus? There was no reason for violence. There was no reason to attack soldiers that were leaving. It was just STUPID.

But then this entire incident has been STUPID. And I'm finding it so hard to stay "neutral" on these matters. After all, I was one of those people that helped build Highfield. One of those people who, it seems, doesn't matter to people like R&T.

I should ask Viola if Renatus knew the truth of any of this. But how do you do that politely, and what do I do when the answer is "yes"? What if he knew that Cade, Robyn, Franklin, Furio, and Carmina all did NOT want to see Highfield burnt? What if he knew and he just didn't care?

Will the truth help anyone? Will it just cause more anger and fighting?

I suppose now is a fine time to start penning my sermon on Falsehood. It's a Throne that seems to have claimed the First Province, with everyone spouting off about their own version of the truth, without seeming to care who is killed in the process.

I don't have answers to my own questions. How am I to answer the questions of others?

Perhaps Dragomir is right. Perhaps it's time for a more physical angle to my meditations.

Let's just hope I get some answers soon.

Until next time,
Sister Ramona

skew

Re: Ramona's Diary

Post by skew » June 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Dear Diary,

How happy am I to have something ELSE to write about.

I've started to plant a small patch of corn at the farms outside of Briar's Hollow. The dead seem to stay in the center of the town and rarely is there anything foul roaming this far out. Add in the travelers that pass by and I'm fairly certain there are no dead to taint this particular plot of land. My hope is that the corn will grow in without signs of disease or blight. If it does, perhaps I can pitch an idea to moving further into Briar's. It sure is a lovely place in design!

Sample A: 25 corn plants, square planted.
Sample B: 9 corn plants, 9 nightshade plants, square planted.

Theory: The nightshade is absorbent to torment. By adding it to a patch with Torment-resistant plants, it will collect nearby disease and result in cleaner growing corn.

**The rest of the dairy entry contains drawings of the field, of a corn plant, of a nightshade plant, of the difference between a healthy and tainted nightshade plant, etc.**

**There is no sign off on this page.**

skew

Post by skew » June 5th, 2021, 12:58 pm

It was blackest night when Ramona returned home from Teneborough. Exhausted - physically and emotionally - she forced herself up to the table and laid out her diary. This would need to be recorded.
Dear Diary,

I've learned that Teneborough was expecting refugees.

That they had planned for the arrival of more people from Highfield. Those people who were escaping the persecution of the First Torian Legion. They had prepared rooms and workspaces. They had hired extra guards. All of this effort, all of it, to ensure the people of Highfield were safe.

It was shocking to hear it.

Sure, Khalkeus was eager to have a grand master carpenter under his roof, but this was no economic power play. This was a group of people trying to help another group of people in need.

At least, that's what they thought. What they believed.

They asked me why I didn't come. Why the other Highfielders didn't come. Why, despite their efforts and despite their sacrifice, why the Highfielders preferred the Legion and De Ravin to R&T.

When I told Galryth that we were fleeing Jakell, not the Legion, he looked like he'd just been hit by the Rumbling Pass Locomotive. When I told him that Cade had awaken to find his home destroyed, without a word being spoken to him, Galryth looked perfectly balanced between heartbreak and fury.

When I told Vera what had been shared, that the Legion was battling with men who believed wholeheartedly they were doing good, she looked ill. Then she ran off to be ill.

How did this go so wrong? Yes, Flynn was there, making snide comments and ugly faces. He whispered about how I lied and sneered at me. Is that it? Had we let two men - maybe just one! - deceive both the Legion and R&T?

This is awful. I wish I had went to Khalkeus myself. Perhaps this could have all been avoided.

Doc Theo suggested my next sermon be on "patience". I think she's right.

At least now I have a real-life example of two groups of people doing what is, without a doubt, right and virtuous... and the result being death.

I think I still have the half-bottle of whiskey I took from Galryth.

~R

skew

Post by skew » June 8th, 2021, 9:49 am

Dear Diary,

The trial is today. I haven't the slightest idea what I might actually say. Maybe no one will wish to hear from me, and that will be the end of it? One can hope!

In other news, my tests of the soil at Briar's Hollow seem to be going well. The corn has grown with minimal maintenance and not a single plant needed to be destroyed.

The nightshade, however, had only 4 plants survive. The remaining 5 were destroyed, due to torment accumulation.

I do believe it's safe to say that the soil here at Briar's Hollow is safe. Now, what's that about poisoned water? I suppose I'll need to investigate further.

In the meanwhile, I am now testing the relation between nightshade and the crops that grown around it. It seems by concentrating nightshade (growing several plants next to one another) the blight collects more rapidly. I am now attempting to space nightshade plants between corn plants. The corn grows at a similar rate and seems otherwise impervious to blight.

Further notes to come!

Ramona

skew

Post by skew » June 29th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Dear Diary,

You've become more of a notebook than a diary. I consider this a success. Still, I'm going to call you diary because "dear notebook" doesn't sound as good.

The crop survey continues. Corn and nightshade can both safely be grown. At least, by me! Let's hope no amateurs try to copy the experiment.

In checking my crops, I bumped into Mr. Koss. We chatted about things, including the crops, and ended up discussing the "tainted water". I'd heard this said before, but I have yet to find any additional details. Mr. Koss has informed me that the boathouse on the southeast edge of town is not what it appears to be! No, he says the building was used by the VIC to perform experiments related to the Torment. Allegedly.

I'll need to find out more, and perhaps gain entry into the building. If there is anything left, there's a chance that whatever is there is the reason why the land is not recovering as quickly as I'd expect.

It is funny, I think, to be so concerned over the VIC's experiments when I am presently conducting my own! Of course it's different -- I'm growing food. The VIC was likely doing things far less savory.

Yes, it's a pun. No, I will not apologize!

In other news, I've confirmed the crustaceans will eat my corn plants, at the shrine. Should I want to grow food, I'll need to consider a fence.

Assuming I don't get eaten by the Anger Crabs, more to come!

~R