The Deep But Not Profound Legacy of Gryhun Kren

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

The Deep But Not Profound Legacy of Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » July 22nd, 2021, 8:54 pm

Character Introduction

Gryhun Kren

"I am that merry wanderer of the night.
I jest to Oberon and make him smile
When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile,
Neighing in likeness of a filly foal."

- Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Trickster

Full Name: Gryhun Kren
Birthdate: 19 Highsun
Birthplace: Tor
Birthsign: The Fool

Appearance
Height: 6’0”
Weight: Average
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Unkempt shoulder length chestnut hair with a maintained beard and 'stache.

Physical Description: A six foot tall man with what could be called roguish good looks. His scruffy looking beard and mustache goes well with his unkempt dark brown hair. His frame is clearly of a fighter that favors speed and stamina over strength. Thankfully, a habit of chewing on sprigs of mint keeps his breath fresh and inoffensive. The disheveled state of his clothes hint at a life spent mostly outdoors.

Personality
General Health: Great since he stopped drinking.
Profession: Professional Vagrant
Faction Affiliation: KM&A
Accent: The cockney accent of a slums dweller.
Roleplay Tools: A bear cap that he took from a cannibal that was trying to eat him. Good fashion should not go to waste.

Personality Description: A friendly, free spirited trickster who is quick to make jests regardless of the situation.

History: A delinquent child who became a thieving teen that made coin on the side by pit fighting and 'delivering messages'. When the Torment struck Tor, Gryhun fled with a few of the other ne'er-do-wells through the sewers and met up with a band of fleeing refugees. Seeing every one as destitute as him ended up changing his thieving heart. No longer would he use his talents to the detriment of his fellow survivors just so he could get ahead. He found quick work protecting merchants from brigands and pickpockets until a few years ago when he arrived in the First Province.

Strengths: Loyal, friendly, resourceful and mostly sane.
Weaknesses: Being mostly sane and lacking a word filter is not a good combination.

Governing Virtue:Valor
Governing Throne: Pride

Azareil

Re: The Deep But Not Profound Legacy of Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » January 16th, 2022, 2:37 am

Log Entry:

Night 1

It feels good to put this on again. It feels like an old suit I rarely get the occasion to wear.

The compound looks deserted. Have not seen anybody there in some time. Found a rock to hide behind that blocks the wind. Lights turned on after the bell rang. Closer inspection revealed the source to be electric. Intriguing. Stolen Foundry tech? Steam powered or something else? Will need to keep watching, patience needed. They will show themselves eventually.

Dawn approaching, no movement around the base still. Will return another night.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 16th, 2022, 5:33 pm

Log Entry:

Night 2

Arrived after dusk and found my rock. No activity yet. Determined the vital information to gather.

1) Number of occupants - Self-explanatory
2) Source of energy - If steam powered, how do they get coal to run it?
3) Source of food/supplies - Have to be acquiring some how to feed occupants and power building.
4) Underground connection - Could explain source of coal if no outside supplier. Does not account for source of food. The First Torians had a mineshaft nearby but never noted anything awry. Likely dead end.
5) Foundry relationship - The Foundry does not share technology and carry a reputation for responding in force. Is this stolen or a secret alliance? Is the Foundry afraid of them? Can press contacts later for more information. Will seek out Harlow.
6) Beliefs/Intentions of occupants - They have secluded themselves for years with no known contact with the outside world. Why? What is their end-game?

Finding the answers to most of these will determine final course of action.

Observations:
- No warning messages. The VIC have bodies strung up on pikes, message is clear. Nothing of the sort here.
- Closest wooded area was clear cut. Difficult to hide close by during the day. Can stick to the further forest but will lose sight of the gate but should still notice people coming or going. Will pursue later if night watching bears no fruit.
- Chicken Pot Pie's delicious even when cold. Reminder to compliment Viola.

Dawn approaches. No movement still. Will return later.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 17th, 2022, 5:08 pm

Log Entry:

Night 3

Arrived at location. My rock was gone. Disappointing. New sightings made. Large wagons with supplies and locked crates out in front of the fortifications.

Visible supplies:
- Bags of flour
- Crate of ore
- Tools
- 1 wagon of cut lumber.
- 1 wagon of assorted crates and chests, contents unknown.
- 1 wagon of with unrecognizable object.

Two wagons are large with long piece of wood, suspect they would be used for horses normally. Sealed crates are curious, cannot pick the locks. Miss the old crew from Tor at times like this.

Moved to gate, looked through. Can barely believe what I'm witnessing. They did it. Automatons. Two within sight.

1) Stationary bipedal automaton. Tools/weapons in place of hands. One large hammer, other appears to be a grappling claw or hook. Large metallic chest plate, spiked shoulder pads. No visible head.

2) Flying disc-shaped automaton with long tail. Has mandible-like pincers in front. Appears to be patrolling.

Having trouble putting thoughts to words. Technology I could only dream of behind the walls. What else are they sitting on?

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 19th, 2022, 10:00 pm

Log Entry:

Day 4

Day watch. Found a tree in sight of the supplies. Roots are exposed, good hiding spot. The spyglass helps. It fits through the roots.

Underground connection does not exist, at least, in the traversable underground. Possible they got into the granite. Works out better this way. Less loose ends.

During the underground visit had a strange encounter. A waterfall and some discolored water. Moss growing on the walls. Debris strewn about. Fishing nets and old boats. Likely close to Briar's Hollow. Something in the water rocked our ship. Gave us quite a spook. Encountered close to the waterfall. Not much known about what dwells underground. Fishing trip will be planned. We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Quiet during the day. Night approaches. Supplies still sitting out but nothing being done with them. Curious. Will return tomorrow.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 20th, 2022, 10:33 pm

Log Entry:

Day 5

In position, no movement on the supplies still. Very strange.

Took a trip up north after my article went out to scout the grove. Found a body that looks to have been sacrificed. Sitting on the altar. Plants growing from within. Recognize the face. It is a Renatus. No idea how he wound up here and now of all times. The plants around the province are growing faster and lashing out more violently.

All I feel is rage. Haven't felt this in a long time. Makes me think of the other thing that inspired such rage. Layne Bridges. Thief of light, joy and hope. Poisoner of all that is good. He stole something dear from me. Does not understand how much I despise him or why. How I will be the one to end him. Right now he's a useful dog. A predictable dog. Does not understand his place. Thinks this province is his own game board. Fool. Is playing my game now. Waiting for him to cross the line. Outlive his usefulness. Will put him down. Until then; the silence works to my advantage. Knows what he fears most. Knows his weakness. Preparations underway. No longer drinking. Head is clear. More clear than ever.

Saw a reminder of old times. Boy from Redholme. Memories of the old family. Miss them dearly. The boy has potential. Could be a great friend. Could be a great enemy. Has his own family. Will need to observe. Time will tell. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

Day turning to night. Another night watch it is. Patience will be rewarded.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 24th, 2022, 12:15 am

Log Entry

Night 6

Came for evening watch. Things have been moved. More surprising are the dead Steelhands laying out front. Six corpses, all tortured in a variety of ways with a few similarities.

Body 1: Burns cover most of the body. All blood has been drained. Missing tongue.
Body 2: Burned. Blood drained. Strange symbol carved into charred skin on forehead.
Body 3: Burned. Blood drained.
Body 4: Burned. Blood drained.
Body 5: Burned. Blood drained.
Body 6: Burned. Eyes removed before death.

Bodies positioned close together. Some blood spilled on the ground. A struggle? Not enough to account for the bodies being drained. Body with eyes removed does not look to have been drained.

Eyes were removed before death denoting that they were tortured for information. The automatons could be the trigger. Unknown.

Syndicate (Foundry) - Rumors swirl that the Steelhands are engineers split off from the Foundry. The Syndicate are the daggers in the shadows of the Foundry who do their dirty work. Foundry known to be protective and jealous of their technology and any new technology relating to electricity will be seen as a threat to their superiority. Something they would want to secure. Familiar with their work, too familiar. Torture is nothing new. Symbol could be a calling card. Strong possibility.

VIC - Main rivals from a technological standpoint. Draining blood is no easy task. Given the VIC's history with experimentations on other humans they would be able to do it. VIC are prone to using fire. Symbol etched on head does not fit their modus operandi. Symbols are to send a clear message or serve as a calling card. Questionable, but is still a possibility.

Pagans - The Withering Bloom's awakening days prior is concerning. The dying threats of the pagans called for the world return to the old ways without technology. Would make the Steelhands prime targets. Symbol is unrecognizable, could be Pagan in nature. No signs of dolls or vines. Unsure. Will keep them as a possibility.

Too many suspects but the Syndicate seems most likely, followed by the VIC and then the Pagans. Need to make contact with remaining Steelhands. Find out who they suspect if they will talk to me.

Things are changing. Need to stay closer. Setting up camp under the remaining wagon. Hopefully someone comes for the bodies and a conversation can be had. Brogan's ribs will come in handy to stave off the hunger of the many hours I will be here.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 24th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Log Entry

Day 7

Brought Avi to see the bodies. Learned more about the Steelhands. Previous suspects may be wrong.

- Steelhands have worked with the VIC. They supplied the VIC with the automatons that burned down the Tenebrae woods. Steelhands may be working alongside the cult of the Mason if they still remain inside. Curious that the VIC has not executed them for heresy. Knowledge and utility speaks volumes.
- The Foundry may be working with them in some regard. The Reeve is likely aware of them and have members of the Enclave on the inside.

Could it be an outside party? The Resolve, the Pagans or someone else entirely?

Avi going to press any contacts he has.

Pity has turned to anger. Fools. They are fools. Making deals with the VIC paints them as enemies. No longer saddened at the loss of life. They asked for it. When you lay down with dogs do not be surprised to rise covered in fleas.

Cannot let anger blind me from opportunity. The VIC and Foundry may not assist against this attack. Six dead can be an opportunity for new alliances. From death, comes life.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 25th, 2022, 6:42 pm

Log Entry

Night 7

Brought more up north. Lucien, Avi, Ashford and Artemis. Did a closer inspection and found a book amongst the dead. Mostly a burned mess but a few things are legible. Bad shape, need a copy in case.

Called the Cemenarius Aeternus. Authored by Invictus Frallerian
- We are the faulty creations of children.
- We are not of the Flame.
- We cling to our flesh as invalids.
- We forsake the purity of the Flame.
- Submit yourself to the Iron Prophet.
- Become a child of the Flame.

The rest is mostly garbage. Burned beyond recognition. Hand written passage on the back cover is legible.
Anoint it with blood and say prayer in His name. Feed it coal and oil so that it may sustain. Care for it as a mother for it is the holy child of the Flame.

Fucking cult shit. I never liked dealing with crazy. Magic's the same. Once you walk down that path it opens you up to things. Things you can't recover from. Try to keep it at an arms length until it slaps you across the face and you have to deal with it.

Ashford recalled hearing the term 'Iron Prophet' thrown around by laborers at the Foundry. We have a starting place. A few coins goes a long way. Laborer said they help out the common working man. Gives them food. The kind of subversive tactics used to recruit those down on their luck.

There was a homeless fellow back in Tor. Ex-Legion. Saw something that broke him. Came back with an addled mind. You think the church or Legion cared? Nah. Common story. He stood at street corners calling out about the end of times. 'Repent! Repent! The stars not what you think! The world is not real! The death of the Republic is nigh!'. You know, that kind of shit. Thing is about him, between the conspiracies and rants were grains of truth. When the crazy's thrown at you it's time to find someone who speaks crazy. Need to squeeze out those grains of truth.

Had an idea on who to see. Mac Madison. Writer for the Herald. Sees conspiracies everywhere. The kind of crazy we needed. Found him under the old district half out of his mind on drugs and whatever else he could scrounge up. Could be a shoe-in for the homeless man in Tor in a few years. Took him a while to focus but he got on track.

The cult has got a name. The Ignimortium. They got this belief that man is impure and imperfect since we're made by the Archangels, not the Mason. They crave to be children of his Flame. They see the machines and automatons as the true children of the Flame. Wanna put their souls into the machines. Said they've been mislead by the 13th. Mentioned the 'Incident' but didn't go into details. Surmised it's about making sacrifices to the machines they worship. Adorn it with venerated blood. No captives. All willing. Praise that fucking crazy, beautiful Mac.

It wasn't the VIC, Pagans or Syndicate. The grounded suspects. No. Those bodies out front were willing sacrifices. We're not grounded anymore. Not much point in staking the place out now. The information I need will be elsewhere. Need to get an inside man. The sick and injured that the Foundry fired are their targets. Don't see them being able to afford to stick around. Most likely they're shunted back to the refugee camp with the rest of civilization's burdens. Out of sight, out of mind. Couple years back when the insane lunatics of the Order wanted my head I became Mathias Byrne. Just some homeless drifter covered in burns. Gonna have to bring him out of retirement. Slumming it up for a bit. See how deep the hole goes.

Azareil

Post by Azareil » January 26th, 2022, 6:39 pm

Log Entry

Day 8

Doc Theo works wonders. Already got Mathias' clothes and bandages ready. Feels like putting on an old glove. A little stiff but already worked in.

Hid in plain sight around the camp with the other forgotten sods. Poor bastards digging through refuge for any scraps. No wonder they're easy targets for the Pagans and the Ignimortium. They ignored me for the most part. Shared some food with some of the worst off. Better to get on the good side of a few of them. Those who asked got the same story. Memorized it before I came.

In my wheezing, gasping voice. "Mathias... Used to.... work for the Foundry... Long time ago... Worked on... new fuel source... Steamless engines... Accident happened... ... Got burned up bad... Please... Don't be repulsed... H-Here..." and then offer a bit of food. "They... let me go after... ... Said... I was no longer needed... ... Seven years of service... Just to be thrown... away."

Won't be long before the Ignimortium hear about it. A down on his luck disfigured ex-Foundry employee with a bone to grind. Tantalizing bait.

Lying is an art. The best lies have either slivers of truth thrown in or the liar can bullshit well enough to appear to know what they are talking about. The alchemy lessons from Ashford and Phineas will serve well. Could call it acting. Acting is socially accepted lying. Would that just be my attempt at justifying it as if I were talking to a Decusian preacher? The world of hard black and whites. They always ignore the grey. Publicly, at least.