The Legacy of Aster Hargreaves

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
AsterHargreaves
Character: Aster Hargreaves

The Legacy of Aster Hargreaves

Post by AsterHargreaves » August 27th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Aster Hargreaves
Personal Details:

Birthdate: 17th of Goldleaf
Birthplace: Heston, Midlands
Birthsign: The Fool
Profession: Doctor
Faction Affiliation: None
Languages: Decusian, Yultish

Appearance:

Height: 5’6”
Weight: Slightly underweight
Eyes: Light green
Hair: Platinum Blonde
Skin: Fair skinned
Handedness: Right handed
Posture: Perfect posture at all times

Physical Description:

Aster is a woman of average height with pale almost translucent skin. Her hair is long with a slight wave to it and is nearly platinum in color. Her eyes are a soft lime green. She has a pleasant looking appearance and narrow, sharp features. Aster looks thin, but naturally so and has a healthy appearance. Across her chest, upper arms and part of her exposed back are thin and long healed scars, silver in color and ranging from small to large. The scars appear to be from lashes, punctures, and various other forms of trauma.

Personality Description:

Aster is quiet, soft spoken and deliberate in her actions and movements. She is often nervous of new people, particularly men and keeps her space. Aster is modest, polite, and well mannered. She goes through the motions of social interactions, but something may seem “off” about her. Her smile doesn’t often meet her eyes and her laughter can be hollow. Humor may seem difficult for her to grasp, and she doesn’t regularly understand sarcasm.

History:

Aster Graves was not born into the prelacy, but her parents had done very well for themselves in Heston and moved in and around high-class circles; hoping to break through into the ranks but always kept slightly at arm’s length. When Mr. Hargreaves, a well-known but oddly unmarried and aging bachelor of the prelacy took an interest in their daughter the family rushed the marriage, hoping it would expedite their desperate climb to the top. Aster’s marriage to Howard Hargreaves opened many doors for her family and closed many more for her. After only five years of marriage to her husband, a man nearly 30 years her senior, Mr. Hargreaves tragically passed while in his nightly bath. Seeking a fresh start and fearing who she may be forced to marry next, Aster packed what few things she could and left for the First Provence.

Strengths: Humble, Patient, Logical
Weaknesses: Unassertive, Rigid, Meek

Governing Virtue: Compassion
Governing Throne: Wrath

(This legacy is for fun and nothing posted here is intended as IG or IC knowledge)

AsterHargreaves

Re: The Legacy of Aster Hargreaves

Post by AsterHargreaves » August 29th, 2021, 3:56 am

“Mind your posture”, the cold and monotone voice called out from behind her. The young girl, no older than eighteen contorted her body into an even more rigid holding. Her light green eyes focused on nothing in front of her and there wasn’t a single hair out of place on her blonde head. An older woman paced around the girl, looking for things to nitpick on this perfect creature.

Aster Graves had been groomed and conditioned since birth to be a perfect member of the prelacy. She had been given every etiquette lesson, schooled on history and current events to make her interesting during conversations and had been taught everything she would need to know to one day run a great house. The only issue was she, nor her upper-class mother and father were of the prelacy.

As the only child of Edmund and Hazel Graves her parents had placed all their eggs in one basket. The family moved in and around prelacy families and had done very well for themselves, but they were never treated as equals. Hazel’s hope, as the social climber that she was, was that her daughter may gain the attention of a young prelacy man and marry the family into the circles she so craved. Fortunately for the Graves, that is just what she had done.

Aster stood now in the room of an over-decorated parlor, dressed in flowing robes of soft pastel pinks having her bridal portrait painted under the watchful eye of her mother. Much to the delight of her family, Aster had gained the attention of Howard Hargreaves, an aging, eccentric, but most importantly unmarried, member of the prelacy. The man was nearly thirty years Aster’s senior with salt and peppered black hair, dark cold eyes, and sharp features like a bird of prey.

No one had asked any questions of Mr.Hargreaves when he came to negotiate the marriage with her father and Aster had not been consulted on the topic. She would marry the man because that’s what she had been told she would do. Aster had not been raised to have opinions, she had not been raised to question her superiors, she knew her place in the world and understood her purpose. Aster had spent every waking moment of her 18 years on Eden developing into more of a prop than a human being.

Five years passed and Aster Hargreaves was a picture perfect wife. Her marriage had opened every door her parents had ever dreamed of, and closed every door for her. All of her education, her training and reading could not have prepared her for living with Mr.Hargreaves. He was an odd, cruel man with particular proclivities. Aster wore long sleeved dresses with high collars in public, for under her clothes her skin was a barrage of scars, bruises and fresh wounds.

Aster went through the motions, she took her husband’s arm in public and attended the required social gatherings. She laughed in a mechanical way and her smile never lit up her eyes. If Aster had been a prop before, she was a husk of a person now.

In her limited free time Aster walked the grounds. She had been collecting the leaves from an oleander for the last several months, storing them away and mashing them to powder once dry. She had almost a vial filled and once it was full she’d use it to escape her captor and his torture.

The day had finally come, the vial was full and after Mr.Hargreaves’ nightly bath she would mix it in her tea and be done with it. The euphoria of knowing her time was coming to an end had put her in a particularly good mood. She couldn’t help but smile, a chipper attitude that had not gone unnoticed with the staff.

Aster waited, as she was always commanded to, inside of the bathroom with Mr.Hargreaves as he soaked in the large clawfoot tub. The man was in his fifties now and his hair was nearly all gray, despite his aging body he was still handsome and fairly fit. Aster’s eyes fell upon him, unfocused and unseeing as she thought only of the vial in her pocket and the sweet release that would soon be hers.

“Mrs.Hargreaves”, he said suddenly jolting Aster from her daydream, “Bring me my tea.” He held a hand out lazily, not lifting his head from the edge of the tub.

She turned to grab the fine porcelain tea cup resting on it’s matching saucer and paused. Her heart rate quickened and she wasn’t sure what came over her. She felt almost out of her own body and unable to control her own actions. Before she knew what had happened, Aster had emptied the contents of the vial, filled to the brim with oleander toxin into the tea.

Aster turned and placed the cup and saucer into her husband’s hand. She knew what would happen if she didn’t intervene, but she couldn’t bring herself to. The man accepted the tea, and in one gulp had finished it. She took the cup back from him and replaced it onto the counter. Aster swallowed dryly and watched with bated breath.

The reaction was sooner than she had expected. Mr.Hargreaves clutched at his chest as the toxin worked to paralyze his diaphragm. Thankfully he was unable to bring in enough air to call out. The man leaned over the side of the tub, clawing at it with his bare hands and retched violently. All she could do was stand and watch, her feet frozen in place as the poison intended for her did its work on her husband.

The toxin took longer to kill the man than she had expected and once he had stopped breathing Aster felt an incredible weight lifted off of her. She set to work cleaning up the bathroom and once she was satisfied that everything was in order she screamed.

The servants had tried to revive Mr.Hargreaves, the staff physician had been called and based on his advanced age and the scene Aster had described it was determined that he had died of heart failure. The next several days were filled with condolences, a funeral and then the silence of the large house.

Aster played the part of the grieving widow, locking herself away and all the while collecting what she would need to flee. She heard the chatter, she knew the help would talk and suspect that Mr.Hargreaves’ young wife may have had something to do with his death.

Weeks passed and Aster was satisfied that everything was in order. The house would pass to Mr.Hargreaves’ brother and if she were lucky he might allow her to stay in it. Aster didn’t want to take her chances on the kindness of strangers, she also feared the next suitor her mother would try to introduce her to. Her best option would be to leave for the First Province and try her luck there.

Aster left in the middle of the day, claiming to be heading to a local library in Heston. Her family, her husband’s kin and the “friends'' she had made would never see her again. Aster wasn’t afraid to die in the First Province, in her opinion she was already on borrowed time and should have died the night her husband did. If anything good could come from her life, she might find it there.

AsterHargreaves

Post by AsterHargreaves » September 21st, 2021, 11:11 pm

In the five months since Aster had come to the First Provence she had learned many things about herself and her fellow man. She had learned that she hadn’t been taught a single thing she’d need to know to care for herself. She learned that the generosity of man was purely transactional and lastly, she had learned just how far she was willing to go to survive.

Aster had struggled at first to make it on her own, that was before discovering that the nimble dexterity from a lifetime of embroidering made mastering lockpicking shockingly simple. With her polite ability to smile through any situation she was never suspected of such burglary. She, of course, felt guilty for every scrap of food she had to steal, for every article of clothing she took from a clothes line and for the beds that were not hers that she slept in.

Life went on, as time often forces it to, but it was not without its setbacks. For every two steps forward, she was forced back one. She had found refuge in the husk of a defunct faction outside of Prae that had been burned to foundation just as soon as she had settled in. Aster had met a man named Edward who set her on her path to studying medicine, but the cost of supplies was steep and the learning curve even steeper. She befriended a young man named Flynn who died some weeks later. It was a constant tug of war to make progress, but she was finding her own way.

Some days Aster felt isolated and alone while others she felt surrounded and smothered. There were few simple days for her, but the day she met Milton Fields was the easiest of her young life. Milton, a broad man wearing overalls, a straw hat and a smile had given Aster a purpose. He connected her with Ines who helped build her medical clinic, Mero who helped with the furnishings and before the end of two days the structure stood in its glory next to the Dogsbody Boarding House.

It felt like a dream, her own medical clinic and very quickly her own set of patients. With shelter to call her own and a business that helped to alleviate her internal demons and untwist her sins, Aster began to identify as Doctor Hargreaves and her past self that loomed over her like a spector began to fade away. Aster put to rest Missus Hargreaves and as time passed even the scars on her body started to turn silvery and blend in with her ivory skin.

Milton and Aster made fast friends, the man was a widower himself but unlike Aster he struggled with his loss. She often felt guilty when Milton spoke of his late wife, she recognized his grief and empathized with him, but she couldn’t relate. Listening to Milton and watching his expression as he relayed his story made her realize that this was how she should feel about her late husband, but she didn’t. When thinking of Mr.Hargreaves and his fate all she felt was relief. It wasn’t until that evening when Milton expressed his conflicted feelings towards her did she realize that she’d never even been in love before.

Their relationship developed at a glacial pace, filled with stolen glances, the almost brushing of fingertips and the constant meddling of their mutual friend and new neighbor Constantine trying to push the two together. It had been a true situation of “opposites attract”, both from the Midlands and having led completely different lives. Milton, a humble farmer often found not wearing a shirt or shoes and Aster, easily ten years his junior and raised to be more decoration than person. It was this relationship, this bond that found Aster where she was currently, quarantined and going stir crazy in her clinic.

Aster sat at her cluttered work desk in the clinic, her arm was freshly bandaged but weeping through the fabric already. In the dimming evening light she began to document in her journal:

18th, Warmwind, 8pm

“I have sustained an injury, a laceration to my left forearm from a torment cyst that grew in Mister Everett’s garden behind the Dogsbody. It was foolish of me to try to dispatch the creature myself, but if I am honest I was hoping to take a sample of it while it was still living. A vine, a tendrel? Lashed out and left me with the deep gash on my arm. I have chosen to self quarantine for two days per the Torment Handbook given to me by Mister Kren. The wound is deep, it required six stitches to close and despite being cleaned the flesh is inflamed around the wound and is warm to the touch. I have begun a regime of antiseptic tinctures to help my body fight the infection and am keeping a journal of my symptoms and treatment. Barney has given me a torment detector and tomorrow I will be using it to test myself for infection. I have left a letter with Milton explaining the situation as well as a notice on the clinic door warning those to stay away. Instructions have been given to Mister Kren to check in on me in two days time and if I do not respond to set fire to the clinic. I have left all of the window coverings open to allow those from the outside to watch my progress. It has only been hours and I already feel like a goldfish in a bowl.”

The evening passed with restless energy, Aster poured herself over the book titled “Crimson Circle: Avoiding The Affliction”, it didn’t teach her many things she hadn’t learned in her studies but it made for relevant reading material. The sun set and Aster’s stomach dropped as she saw the shadow of Milton coming up the road through her window. She stood and grabbed hold of her door handle, pulling to keep it closed in case he stopped by before reading the letter left for him. To her relief he passed by and she moved to the other side of the clinic to watch him enter the Dogsbody. From her clinic window she could see into the cabin, but just barely.

In clips of images Aster watched Milton move from window to window, placing items down, sorting things he’d brought in and then finally his eyes fell upon the note left on his writing desk. With bated breath Aster watched him pick up the note, unroll it and his brows knit together as he worked to understand the meaning. His expression dropped and his eyes darted over the words again before shooting up to look through the small window to the clinic. She wasn’t sure if he saw her, but she waved nonetheless with a brave smile.

19th, Warmwind, 9am

“Today I woke up with a mild fever and body aches, it is obvious my system is trying to fight this infection. I have a mild headache and chills that come and go. If I didn’t know any better I would suspect that I had the common flu or a viral infection. The color from my face has drained and I have dark circles under my eyes. The wound on my arm is producing puss today, I will be collecting the discharge for research.”

Aster sat on her bed, cross-legged in her simple pink robe and faced the window that her bed was pressed against. She could see Milton leave the Dogsbody and stride over to her window. The man's, usually sandy blonde’s hair was still inky black from the two of them dying each other’s hair days previously. He stopped at her window, wearing the purple vest she has gifted him and mimed several words to her through the glass. Aster chuckled and tapped her fingernail against the glass.

“You know I can hear you if you speak loudly!”, she smirked and shook her head at him, one of her eyes wincing as her own voice made her head hurt worse.

Milton cupped an ear in a comical fashion and then shrugged both shoulders with a grin. Looking to the north suddenly he pretended to notice someone and then turned heel and walked the opposite direction, faining walking down a flight of stairs outside of the window that didn’t exist.

Milton had been checking in on Aster through her bedroom window since the previous evening. He always had a new drawing, a physical comedy piece or a message to write on her window in breath. She smiled as she watched him, though despite his jovial attitude she could sense the concern behind his hazel eyes.

Suddenly, he popped back into view in the window and offered her a big wave and several over the top blown kisses. “I’ll be back!”, he shouted at the window.

Aster nodded to him, kissing the palm of her hand and pressing it to the glass. As he walked off she could see his posture change. She rubbed her thumb on the glass as her eyes followed him until he was out of sight.

19th, Warmwind, 6pm

“My fever has gotten higher, this is to be expected before a fever breaks. My eyes feel warm behind my eyelids and when I close them it feels like closing your eyes and looking up at the sun. I have given myself an injection of garlic and ginseng and increased the strength of my antiseptic tincture. The skin around my sutures has swollen and I have had to replace two of them due to tearing around the healthy flesh. I have gotten the torment detector given to me by Barney working and it detects low levels of torment in my blood. I am not surprised by the findings given my direct contact with the torment cyst. My hope is that the lower levels indicate that this will not continue to get worse.”

Aster closed her book with a snap and turned in her stool. Her head swayed as she looked to the door. The bottom of the door was sealed to the best of her ability with one of her skirts stuffed under the lip. She had always felt this clinic was the perfect size for one person and her patients, but after a day and a half of being inside of it it felt incredibly small. She had tried to occupy herself by testing different medications on herself and retesting her blood with no better results. The levels of torment didn’t change. Through the window she could see Milton coming by for his evening check in. She smoothed her golden hair, a side effect of the dye Milton had put in it and forced herself to put on a healthy smile.

20th, Warmwind, 1pm

“After an evening of uneasy sleep my fever has broken. Through the evening my skin felt like it was on fire and even the slightest amount of stimulus felt like needles against it. Thankfully this has passed. I finally fell asleep around daybreak and woken up not long ago. The skin around my wound has decreased in swelling and the infection seems to be retreating. I have treated myself again with garlic and ginseng for good measure. I have not seen Milton yet today, I must have slept through his earlier check in. The walls around me feel closer today and earlier I could have sworn they were breathing. If I had any foresight I would have stocked the clinic with food. My appetite has returned today, but all I have is a stale half eaten loaf of bread shaped like a spider.”

She put her pen down and her eyes unfocused into the distance, her arm was itchy and she had to remind herself not to touch it. After half a lifetime of being deprived of affection followed by half a decade of abuse, the last several weeks of tenderness had changed Aster. Before knowing Milton she could have spent eternity in isolation but now every fiber of her being screamed for human touch. Aster felt as though she was soothing a small child inside of herself that was begging to be let go, raging against her to rip the fabric from under the door and wrench it open to run out.

A tap on the bedroom window broke her from her trance, a welcomed distraction from her fantasies of fleeing and a needed reminder for why she needed to stay where she was. Today Milton had a series of drawings. The first depicted Milton trying to warn those in the community about plants, but turning away from him. The next was Aster getting scratched by the torment cyst, he frowned heavily at this one to punctuate and hung his shoulders. The next showed Aster turning into a torment cyst with long hair. The last was a larger drawing, illustrated in a landscape fashion showing Milton marrying Aster and them raising little torment cyst babies together.

Aster laughed and shook her head as the slide show continued. Milton finished his mimed show and tell and lastly held up a slice of a beautiful pot pie. He ate it with his hands, his eyes rolling into the back of his head and rubbing his vest clad stomach as she ate. She couldn’t help but scowl, the pie looked fantastic and she was almost out of stale spider bread.

“When you’re out I’ll have some for you!” Milton yelled through the glass and Aster nodded, the scowl still painted across her face.

21st, Warmwind, 5pm

“It has now been three days, one day past the recommended two day quarantine. I have chosen to give myself more time given the negative reaction I had to such a small exposure to torment. I am now feeling mostly back to myself, the wound on my arm is showing positive signs of healing. I will continue with my injections and tinctures until the stitches come out. The positive outcome here is that I now have torment in my blood and I may be able to use my own blood to study torment and look for a cure, or at least a treatment. I will have to get together with Doctor Hanlon, Doctor Redd and others to discuss what the possibilities are. For now, I am looking forward to a return to my normal routine. I will continue to document any findings or changes in my health.”

Aster put her pen down and looked up and over her shoulder to the clinic door. She knew it was safe to leave now, but it still felt like a risk. Aster rose slowly and ran her fingers through her hair, trying to make herself more presentable. She had donned her last set of clean clothing for the occasion. The clinic looked like some sort of natural disaster had happened inside of it. Medical supplies were strewn around the surfaces, dirty bandages on the floor and empty bottles from tinctures spilled out from everywhere. She made a mental note to clean later.

She drew in a deep breath and reached her hand out for the door, dragging the skirt stuffed under it as it swung, creating a clean void in it’s path.

AsterHargreaves

Post by AsterHargreaves » August 13th, 2022, 3:52 pm

3. I’ll Settle for the Ghost of You

Aster paced the small clinic, tracing her steps from the lab in the front, to the kitchenette down the hall and into her bedroom. Everything was in order, but she still felt like she was missing something. She had already donated all of her personal items, save for the letters she and Milton had exchanged and ownership of the Dogsbody and the Clinic were arranged. The remainder of her silver had gone towards paying for the taxes on the clinic and all of her medical notes were stacked neatly on the counter in the lab.

She chewed on her bottom lip as she stood in her bedroom, her eyes tracing the walls and finally settling on the window. Through the glass she could see the Dogsbody, sitting empty and derelict as it had for the last several months. Her bedroom window and Milton’s had always faced each other, something that felt awkward at first, but later gave her a great sense of comfort and security.

Walking the few steps to the cabin felt as though it took an eternity. The Dogsbody had seen better days. The thatch was worn and needed to be replaced, there were a few poles missing from the banister now and the long table that once sat on the porch with a welcoming meal of corntack had long since been stolen.

Aster stood on the porch and stared at the slightly darker wood where the table had once been. The traffic of feet and the sliding of chairs had left enough damage around it that its void was easy to recognize. She thought back about the meals had on the porch, the booming Midlander laugh of Milton Fields and the shifty frown of Constantine when he was called out for his meddling. She could see Matteo Ponz sitting at the head of the table, telling a long winded joke with no punch line and Gryhun Kren using a one-liner that made them all cringe. Worse of all, she could see herself sitting at the table, planted as always next to Milton, his hand creeping surreptitiously under the cloth to give her knee a loving squeeze.

Milton had been gone now for ten months and no one had seen hide nor hair of him. Aster had waited for the man, checking in on the cabin daily for months to see if there had been any sign of him. His farming tools had been left behind along with his armor, weapons and even his signature tall straw hat. At the four month mark of his absence Aster had taken the hat and begun to wear it as her own so she could always feel him with her.
Aster shook herself from her daze and continued into the cabin. The front room, once a warm place for newcomers to lay their head now sat with a thick layer of dust and far fewer pieces of furniture. The only place in the cabin that had been untouched by thieves was Milton’s room.

As Aster entered his room she did so with closed eyes. She stood, her hand still resting upon the handle and listened to her heart beat loudly in her chest four times, she closed her eyes harder and tried with all of her might to will Milton to be there on his bed with a warm smile and a quippy joke. On the fifth beat she opened her eyes and found herself, as always, alone in the room, the layer of undisturbed dust around the area a testimony to its lack of habitation.
She pursed her lips together and drew in a breath to sigh, the air caught in her lungs and caused her to cough violently. The coughing fit lasted so long and took so much out of her that she needed to grip hold of the counter to stabilize herself. Aster had waited for Milton for as long as she could, but the borrowed time she was already living on was coming to a close.

Shortly after her run in with the torment cyst Aster had developed a dry and persistent cough. Her focus had only been on testing her blood against different methods to try to eradicate the torment from it and thus the possibility of finding a cure. Her narrow sightedness hadn’t allowed her to notice the other dangers lurking within her body until it was far too late.

Three months after Milton went missing Aster had discovered quite by accident that she was dying. A new bacteria had grown in her samples and when she didn’t recognize it she had taken the sample to the fort hospital where she was diagnosed with consumption. After six months of brutal and rigorous treatments the hospital believed Aster’s infections to be inactive, but they were unsure how long it would last. She had used these valuable last few weeks to arrange her affairs and safely say her goodbyes.

Aster did not lament her prognosis, she did not blame Decus or anyone but herself for the situation she found herself in. She was afterall, a murderess, a wife who had committed one of the highest of sins, the willful killing of her first husband. Aster believed that her disease was one of her punishments for taking his life, regardless of how deserving the man was of death.

Her time in Miltown and the time she had spent with Milton were the happiest days of her young life. She had built a home here, she had developed meaningful friendships and best of all, she had gotten to experience the true feelings of love and its reciprocation. The memories she had of Milton and the small community were filled with enough joy and happiness to have filled a lifetime. Aster’s only regret was that Milton, a man who had already known so much sorrow and loss, had to pay the price for her sins.

Just as firmly as Aster believed that her consumption was a punishment for her actions, she also believed that Milton was the true penance she had to pay for her crimes. Decus had brought this perfect man into her life who had shown her every kindness she had never known just to rip him from her without warning. He was the real victim in this story, wherever he was.

Aster caught her breath from the coughing fit and righted her composure. Milton’s old hat on her head slumped forward and she worked to adjust it before taking a seat at the old writing desk in the corner of the room. She opened it and produced several clean sheets of paper and upon them she began to write two letters.

“My dearest friend Constantine,

I promised you that I would write and so I am. This letter has been given to a courier with instructions to deliver it four weeks to the day of its writing. It is with a heavy heart that I tell you we shall never set eyes upon one another again. I want you to know that your friendship has meant everything to me and I want to thank you for meddling in my affairs. Without your pestering and insistence I do not believe I would have ever had the courage to express my feelings to Milton Fields. Your influence along with your company brought me the happiest days of my life. For these reasons it brings me no pleasure to ask you one last thing; to find me. I ask you to put my body to the pyre and to spread my ashes upon the soil of Miltown, the only place I have ever known kindness, love and happiness.

I must also confess to you before Decus that I poisoned my late husband Howard Hargreaves and I can only hope that my contrition and death can save you from the same fate as Milton, wherever he is now. I die the widow of Howard Hargreaves, but I would rather have died the wife of Milton Fields.

With all of the love that I have left to give,

Aster”

She finished the letter and across the back of it drew a crude map she had hoped Constantine would be able to make out. Tears formed in the pins of her eyes and she read it over and over again, checking for grammatical mistakes, for poor syntax and the like. Even as she was planning her end, she was insistent her final words would be correct. She then wrote a shorter version of the letter to be found with her and folded each and sealed them.

With one final look around her, she retreated from the room and left to deliver the letter to the courier.

Everything was now in order and as she walked to the location she planned to lay herself to rest she felt light on her feet, like a great weight had been removed from her shoulders. She had felt this way before, the last time she had decided to kill herself. But this time wouldn’t be like the last, this time she would follow through.

She walked for a great while before coming upon the pond she had picked out, the vial of arsenic she had painstakingly gathered bobbing carefree in her pocket. She had seen how the oleander had killed her late husband and she had hoped for a quicker and less traumatic end, even if she felt she didn’t deserve it.

Aster came upon the bank near the pond and sat down in the tall grass there. The colors around her seemed brighter today, the grass more green, the water more blue. She smiled as she took in the splendor around her and began to take the regime of medications she had prepared for the task. First she ingested a triple dose of strong sedative, washing it down with the bottle of Field’s Reserve she had been given by Constantine. When she began to feel the effects of the medication she then mixed the cyanide with the rest of the liquor and downed it in two large gulps.

Her eyes fluttered with exhaustion and when she was unable to keep her head up she laid down in the grass, her head resting on her outstretched arm. The sun was warm against her skin and as she faded in and out of consciousness she swore she could see a pair of unshod feet walking towards her. Aster smiled, she knew Milton was with her now and as she faded off she could see his face, warm and smiling down at her.

“Oh, there you are”, she said with a dazed smile just as everything went dark.