The Carpenter

A general forum for all in-character posts as they relate to Act VI: Absolution, the characters that inhabit the world at large, and the events that help shape both.
Hollis.Maeby
Character: Hollis Maeby

The Carpenter

Post by Hollis.Maeby » August 18th, 2022, 1:04 pm

Hollis approached the large wagon that sat just on the border of Awiella. The barricade and brambles that kept the dead at bay were mere yards behind the establishment. Why someone would choose to have a business this close to that cursed place was beyond her, but despite her anxiety she required assistance from the shops owner.

Hesitantly, Hollis opened the wagon door and entered. She'd asked around for a carpenter that was more skilled than herself and the same name kept coming back; Ponz. Though along with word of his still she had also been warned that he was a cantankerous and gruff older man. She was relieved when inside of the wagon she only found a young and bored looking shop keeper tasked with selling the wares of Ponz.

"Excuse me", Hollis said with her most winning smile.

The merchant snapped to attention not having heard the young woman enter. "Ah yes, welcome, please have a look around!"

Hollis browsed the several items that were laid out and clicked her tongue at the price tags. She was selling her wears far too cheaply based on this man's prices.

"I was looking for something more. . Stately?", she said, choosing her words carefully. "I'm decorating a large home for a man with refined tastes. Do you think it would be possible to arrange an audience with the shop's owner?"

The merchant's mouth pulled into a frown and with less enthusiasm he nodded.

"Splendid, if you could get a message to him that Hollis Maeby is looking for him it would be appreciated. I have a cottage close to the bank and I'm frequently around the Meddler's Risk", Hollis told the man these things as she also wrote them down on a piece of paper she'd brought with her, wanting to leave nothing to chance.

With a look of trepidation the merchant took the note from Hollis and gave her a dip of his head as she exited.

Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

Re: The Carpenter

Post by Nedoral » August 18th, 2022, 3:49 pm

In a fairly broad stride, Matteo approached the wagon carrying a bunch of small wooden legs held together by some flax strands. He heaved and plopped them over the counter, huffing and reaching for a dirty cloth in his back pocket.

"Afternoon, chief", said Woody at his post by the counter.

"Howdy".

The shop's owner cut the strands with a sharp razor and then dropped a handful of legs from the pile onto the counter to his right. They rolled and scattered down to the floor, making a racket. Matteo frowned, seemingly looking for something by that surface and close to a few unfinished table tops nearby.

"Where's ma tub?", he asked.

"The furniture tub? I thought you had taken it back with you, boss".

"Nope".

"Then I don't know".

"Ya sayin' I can't use ma tub 'cause it's not 'ere and yer not sure what happened?".

"Erm...", Woody said, tugging uncomfortably on his badly worn sash.

"Well, thanks fer nothin', mate! Top notch seller!".

The carpenter grumbled, shoving the wooden legs somewhere they wouldn't hamper their space too much. Woody scratched his chin, holding some paper on the other hand and failing to get Matteo's attention for the following couple of minutes.

"Uhmmm, captain?"
, he finally said.

"Wha?".

"Some lass dropped by and had this", he offered the paper which Matteo didn't make the slightest effort to grab. "She said she wanted to talk to you about some nice pieces for a picky fellow".

"Yeah? Where's she at?".

Woody just held the piece of paper silently. Matteo sighed and ripped the sheet out of his hands, squinting over the lines.

"Are you gonna go there now?".

"Yer crazy? Next time I leave I come back and tha door's missin'! I'll stay put till 'em guards get 'ere fer tha night. Then...maybe".

Matteo marched down the steps leading to the wagon's entrance and folded his arms. Wrinkles of annoyance were drawn on his forehead and would remain so as he kept watch till the sun decided it was time to call it a day.