Hourglass

A general forum for all in-character posts as they relate to Act VI: Absolution, the characters that inhabit the world at large, and the events that help shape both.
Marlowe
Character: Quincy Everhard

Hourglass

Post by Marlowe » August 29th, 2022, 1:07 pm

There was little to draw his attention other than the occasional drunkard retching in a poorly lit alley.

Quincy's footsteps echoed unchallenged as he walked, barely any activity that time of night. Even though he had soft shoes on, they made such a racket hitting the hard cobblestone path he was worried some grumpy resident would open a window to give him a piece of their mind. However, these worrisome thoughts soon subsided and left him free to enjoy a free stroll amidst the sleeping Fort.

Knowing where to walk was essential: piles of refuse were just about everywhere, not to mention the eastern river's horrendous stench, often carried by unfavorable winds. Quincy mostly kept by the quaint orchard across the Sign and Sealed library and nearby areas that still presented pleasant qualities to one's nose. He'd often promenade around the bank by the fountain, circling around Miranda's cottage all the way to the docks and back to Fort Road. It wasn't time to go back home, though. Not yet.

Once past the second portcullis leading to the Old Town area, he stopped in his tracks to ponder. The museum? Quincy had spent many a night in the basement, perusing the wealth of all manners of recovered texts available to the public at large. Though the idea tugged at him, he was feeling airy, perhaps even light-headed; whatever reading he undertook wouldn't last and thus go to waste. So he just took a left and kept going to where his feet were taking him: the bath house.

"Hello. Nivi, please", he said to a young clerk sitting at the front desk. He pulled his watch and made some quick math in his head. Quite some time before dawn still. "Three hours".

"Good evening! Miss Nivi is currently occupied for the next thirty minutes at least. Would you like someone e-".

"No, I can wait", he said, placing a good handful of coins over her desk.

"Booth number two!".

Quincy thanked her and made his way around the bath house he knew so well. His finances have improved considerably, he could afford such luxuries without more than a passing thought. In two minutes' time his clothes were neatly folded on a small corner table, and he reached for one of the three britches hanging by the wall (just a brief sniff to make sure they were clean). The only piece he kept was the bracelet, keeping it was becoming a habit.

"Everhard!", a lithe woman said, quickly traversing the narrow booth to vigorously hug him. Nivi was about five inches shorter than Quincy but strong as an ox, so she bent him towards her. She landed a sloppy kiss on his cheek before letting go and closed the curtains. "Three hours, then?".

"Yes", he said, rubbing his shoulder with a grin. Nivi patted the massage table with a playful roll of her pitch-black eyes.

As soon as Quincy got himself comfortable, she pulled the loose smock tunic over her head and tossed it carelessly over an old chair in the corner. He was rather startled the first time he asked for her, certain to have hired the wrong type of service. However, she settled the matter right then with "Unfair for just you to be topless in this fucking oven!". Nivi nonchalantly tied her black hair in a tight ponytail, some of them already turning gray.

"So, talk to me", she rubbed the cloves-scented oil between both hands and started to work on his back, close to the neck.

"Well, somebody took a canvas I left outside when I was pai-".

"Fuck that! I meant about that silly smile you have on your face", she sank her wiry fingers on his clavicle as if on cue. "I don't give a ratman's ass about paintings!".

Quincy couldn't help but let his smile broaden, his face sort of concealed by the table's aperture. "Oh, that. Well, you can have a guess".

"The Yult?", she said without skipping a beat, twisting his arm towards her with care.

"Is it that obvious?".

"I remember my silly smiles, sweetheart", she said as she loosened his left hand's fingers. "Where's this fabled lass now?".

"Well, uhm...", he started, his voice breaking for a moment. "In my bed".

"Oh!", her voice snapped so high Quincy actually raised his head to look at her. "Did you...?", she shoved two fingers into the circle she made with her other hand.

"No". Nivi frowned, tilting her head.

"Did she tell you to respect her space?", she worked on his legs, still stretching her neck to look at him.

"No. Quite the opposite, actually".

Nivi just stopped, pressing her hips with both hands, the oil slowly dispersing through her crimson skirt. She stared at Quincy, cupping her lower lip with two fingers. Then she pulled the chair from the corner and sat in front of him, their eyes leveled.

"Honey", her underlying tone loaded with sorrow and reproach, "What are you doing? Why are you here instead of there?".

"Well, she hurt her leg, and-".

"Bullshit. Come clean, Everhard". She stared at him, making his ears turn red.

"What if...", he swallowed. "What if I blow it? She's not some provincial girl I'll never see again. She's always doing stuff, she's so much fitter than I am".

"Yeah, you're fat", she nodded. "But guess what: I already offered the extra special happy package for you with a discount". She leaned closer and licked her lips, placing them very close to his ear when she said the next word. "Twice". She smiled. "Guess what that means".

"You don't know the kind of people that come here, boy. Monsters, really, all bulging and thirsty by the door step; we never know when just shoving their filth in here won't be enough for a pastime. You're a good guy, chivalry is quite rare nowadays", she looked down, Quincy still hooked at her words. "But how long do any of us have? One day two-legged rats emerge from the sewers, another we have masses of deceased blokes just walking around. Someday it'll be something else, and eventually it'll get us. See what I mean?".

"Yes, I do", he swallowed, meeting her gaze still.

"You seem to be happy with this one. So make it count". She rose from the chair, clapping once and perking up.

"Alright, tiger, turn!".