Fresh Goods and Artsy Stall

An in-character forum dedicated to the buying, selling and trading of goods and services of all kind within Absolution.
Marlowe
Character: Quincy Everhard

Fresh Goods and Artsy Stall

Post by Marlowe » June 9th, 2022, 9:52 am

Even tacking the list onto the wooden post, Quincy was still utterly swooned by her presence. Hardly three hours had passed since they met and already she had convinced him to open her a shop to sell his wares he doubt would sell. Nevertheless, such a tricky task saying no to lush cascading burgundy hair that reached Mathilda's generous womanly features...

"Monsieur?".

"Hrm...? Y...yes?", he blinked, glancing up from where he was previously looking.

"Ze lizt iz crooked", she smiled, pointing.

Indeed it was. He had burned a few items on a thin wooden panel, leaving the stall with a pleasant scorched scent.
Fresh Produce for Brewing

Ears of corn
Wheat sheaves
Apples

Art materials

Cans of paint
Canvases
Painting Palettes
Bolts of Heavy Cloth
Bottled inspiration
He paused to stare longly at the pirographed panel, but Mathilda's lavender perfume occupied his mind as she stood right next to him. He quickened his pace, heading towards the Fort. He really needed that mandolin, serenades were in order!
Last edited by Marlowe on June 17th, 2022, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlowe

Re: Fresh Goods and Artsy Stall

Post by Marlowe » June 17th, 2022, 3:35 pm

He rushed by his stall's doorway carrying a basket ripe with fresh flowers. While Quincy had no intention of dropping by, something caught his eye and he changed his mind. Flies buzzed haphazardly by one crate in the middle.

"Mathilda? Could you come here for an instant, please?". She approached, having just finished hanging some garlic cloves by a beam.

"Yes?".

"I don't remember this crate being here yesterday. Why all these...flies?", he ducked, waving his hand to keep a fat fly at bay.

"Oh, juzt a little something extra", she smiled.

"But the crate is...dripping?", Quincy blinked, squatting to have a better look. There was without a doubt a red substance pooling slowly through the boards. He removed the lid and stood there surprised upon discovering a varied assortment of sliced fresh meat. "What is this?".

"Some meat, monsieur".

"Yes, I can see that! But where did it come from? I didn't bring it".

"Rabbit and squirrel, nozy things. Came for lettuce and carrot, I dealt with zem".

"Look, a slab of meat this size came from neither rabbit nor squirrel. This could be a table top! I was never told you could hunt things that large".

"Zey sell well, but we could simply stop", she said, reaching for a morsel and piling it up properly. She then stuck her bloody finger into her mouth to lick it off as Quincy watched, his mouth agape. "Should we?".

His customary eloquence gave way to gurgles and a scratchy throat, ultimately producing a strangled screech that sounded like "no".

"Mister Quincy, can I ask question?", she reached a hand, pulling a thread stuck on his sideburn. He just nodded. "When men look at me zat way, zey ask for things. Zey take me places. Ze men like you invite me for dinner. Do you want dinner with me?".

"Well, uhm...look, I mean-".

"Zhink about it, yes?", she smiled and turned, occupying herself on the produce shelves.

He left the stall, completely flustered. How come he only met women who had a thing for blood lately? First Drusilla and now Mathilda. What happened to the maidens of old, happy to get flowers?

"The flowers!", he yelled, going back to pick the forgotten basket. Ah, but Quincy was sure of one thing: she could be the best hunter in all of Eden, but the moment human flesh showed in one of these crates, she was out on her ear! Oh yes...! Most likely. Perhaps.

TheOriginalFive
Character: Viola Wandren

Post by TheOriginalFive » June 19th, 2022, 3:05 am

Viola passed by the stall by chance one day. She usually was heading towards the Foundry on errands, but she stopped and whirled around instead to take a look.

Ever since the whole rat invasion, she had to be more cautious about walking by herself.

As she read the sign carefully, she pondered whether she should pick up her formerly forgotten hobby of watercolours again. There were some cooking ingredients listed for sale too.

"That's the first time I've seen cuts of meat on sale in a while," thought Viola.

After a short talk with Mathilda, where Viola had to speak shortly and carefully, both of them went about their day happy with the trade of ribs and venison.

Viola had left a small calling card with the following written on it:
Viola Wandren wrote:Wondrous Wares
Food for The Province at The Craft Hall.
PS: Please provide more animal cuts if you can.

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe » June 26th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Quincy appeared on the threshold, stepping aside to let a tanned man carry a wheat sheaf outside. Mathilda smiled, coming to greet him rubbing her hands on her dress.

"Hi, monsieur. No restock, I see?", she motioned to a small vase, the only thing he was holding.

"Would you perhaps like to take a seat?".

"Okay", she said, sitting down on the only stool in the shop.

"I rehearsed this quite a few times, but I suppose I can't really coat this in better lighting than being straightforward". His lips contorted in a bitter smile. "I will be taking my wares out of this shop, probably around the coming week".

"But ze business is doing zo well...!", she began, but halted as he raised a palm.

"I meant what I said, miss: only my art goods will be relocated. The remainder of our inventory is yours to keep".

"I don't understand, relocated where?".

"Once more, I have received a hearty advance by Mr. Constantine, the proprietor of a busy tavern within the Fort. Being in possession of such funds, I'm able to seek an adequate venue for the gallery I always meant to establish. Nevertheless, I won't close this fresh produce shop. In fact...", he detached a tingling pouch from his belt and offered it to her.

"Why...?".

"Call it karma, or whatever you desire, but we must pay good things forward. I'm capable of sustaining my living without this business, thus I'll be transferring the ownership to your name. There are fees associated with the upkeep, so you'll be set for about two weeks. Alright?".

Mathilda uncomfortably adjusted her bustier, but he didn't flinch. His mind was elsewhere, as it's often the case when people close to you may be irreparably ill.

"I see. No second thoughts?".

"None".

She nodded, rising. Quincy landed a parting kiss on top of her hand. "I shall still come by, as I'm often in need of these bottled inspirations". He smiled faintly, she did not. Then he left, walking towards the Fort's western gates. Mathilda watched as he drew distance from their previous joint venture. He didn't look back.

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe » August 3rd, 2022, 7:21 pm

Quincy hurried by the produce stall but stopped in his tracks, sending the shop a double take. In a glance he took in all what seemed off: the prices plaque was nowhere to be seen and half the crates had been nailed shut. Mathilda was on her stool, hammering the lid of a crate on her lap. She glanced up, nodding lightly.

"Hello, Quincy", she said, her breathy voice passing through a couple of nails she squeezed between her lips.

"Mathilda, what's all this?", he motioned to the empty shelves. She reached for the nails on her mouth.

"I'm closing zis shop", she said, offering a modest grin. He furrowed his brow, still focusing his attention on the sealed crates piled by her side.

"But why...?".

"I have enough now", she said, not looking up from the hammering. "Besides, zis place is too noisy. Carts, criers, last-minute deals...", she shook her head and smiled. Quincy just stared.

"Does this have anything to do with me severing our partnership?", he asked, pulling his bonnet off.

"No. I bought a house on a hill west of here. I hear birds zere in ze morning. Enough noise".

He watched her sink a small nail with a series of poundings. When Mathilda flipped the crate on her lap to work on the opposite side, he put on the bonnet and turned to leave. However, he didn't take another step towards the exit.

"We still didn't have that dinner", he said, turning with a goofy smile. "How's that sound?". She raised her gaze, watching Quincy as he straightened his doublet, which actually didn't need any straightening. Then she put her elbow on the crate and rested her chin on a palm.

"Why now?".

"Because if we are all islands, then I want to build better bridges", he said, promptly. A smile slowly crept upon her features.

"Okay".

He lifted a couple of crates as Mathilda tossed a leather satchel over her shoulder, both aiming for the hedged threshold.

"Now you'll know what street cuisine is all about!", he said, winking at her as they walked side by side.

"Didn't know zat was a thing".

"I can make a mean duck with sweet carrots on the side that I learned in Greatport. You'll thank me later!".

"In zat case, I will just have some water", she said, smirking.

"I'm hurt!", he halted, contorting his face with exaggerated bewilderment, but smiled afterwards. "Well, maybe we just get some of Miss Wandren's pot roast, then".

"Maybe...".

They went on talking their way to dinner, elbows interlocked as at some point Mathilda slid hers under Quincy's. The remaining crates could wait until tomorrow.

~~Fin~~