Character Application for Isaac Edwards

Forum used for archiving approved character applications.
Ghillie Dhu
Fresh Meat
Character: Isaac Edwards

Character Application for Isaac Edwards

Post by Ghillie Dhu » February 23rd, 2021, 9:23 pm

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:

Yes, I played during the latest iteration of the shard a few years prior.

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:

I played predominately within the Yew Militia on Catskills and Europa from 99 to 03, a forced roleplaying guild. I've also played other games and involved myself in dedicated roleplaying communities.

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?

The Roleplay is very good here, and the stories are compelling.

What will your character’s name be?:

ISAAC EDWARDS

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:

Sporting a thick crop of facial hair trimmed into mutton chops and a robust mustache of peppered chocolate hues, Isaac is encroaching upon the twilight years of his life. Smokey irises of gray with flecks of light blues sit beneath his wrinkled and troubled brow, a sense of tiredness to them, as if insomnia was a natural state of being. Tan lines have formed across his neck and chest, and his hands looked to be soiled by soot and refuse, to the intuitive, it would be safe to assume much of his life up to this point has been spent surviving on manual labor and field work. Although a bit stooped in his shoulders and a general slouched posture, the rigors of Midlander life amidst the Torment has kept the man in good shape and at a moderately healthy weight.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

My character hopes to restore the lands of the First Province and to find lands to work and till after losing his long cherished family home and lands.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):

A newly transient refugee from the prairie highlands of Drolund, Isaac Edwards was once a farmer, husband and the proud father to three sons- all lost to the ravages of the Torment and collateral damage brought on by its wanton destruction.

Without warning or preparation, Drolund found itself on the frontlines of the End Times, and its people were paying the cost dearly. Due to the high cost of the war effort to rebuke the lawlessness of the Western collapse, many of Drolund’s daughters and sons were asked to give up their plow in exchange for a spear. Each of Isaac’s sons were called to conscription as they came of age, leaving with pride in the chance to serve their venerable Republic and play a part in rebuking this blasphemous insurrection upon the children of Decus.

However, the rigors of war are not easy for many, especially those who found themselves upon the frontlines of the conflict for far too long. This ugly truth saw two of Isaac’s sons become its casualties as they attempted to escape their post, hoping to flee surely what horrors they saw and feared becoming victims to themselves. Ethan, the eldest was caught helping his middle sibling Rhys escape when they were ultimately caught by their fellow legionnaires. Ethan was clubbed to death by the other members of the night’s watch in a zealous fury, catching him in the act of lowering his brother down from the fort’s ramparts; he could not make the attempt to flee himself and was said to have put up no fight against his vengeful brothers. Rhys was found only a few days later, and was drawn and quartered for his desertion by high command.

Due to their rules of conscription and the failings of his sons to die honorably beneath the legion’s Decusian banners, Isaac was forced to give up his lands to the local barony in debt to the stations they abandoned. To make matters worse, Duncan, the youngest of Isaac’s sons, had only recently become of age and was sent off to train with the Legion as well, sending Isaac into a deep state of regret with the loss of his sons. Although many within their homestead would take pity on their family, most would leave the Edwards’ to the winds, not wishing to associate with a family of “deserters and turncoats”. Work as a farmhand and servant would quickly dry up for various reasons, and local vagrancy laws would further prevent Isaac and his wife from staying much longer as refugee camps began to grow within the region, evoking the ire of the ruling elites to rebuke them from their lands.

In his late 40s, Issac found himself going from a farmstead producing bountiful harvests of wheat and barley, with three sons to work the fields and retirement in sight- to working manual labor in shipping yards and warehouses across the Midlands, trying to earn a meager wage to pay for their newfound vagrant way of life. As work would take them further East and into Heston, Isaac and his wife Jamie would find themselves beset upon by the contagion, a score of Tormented said to have originated out of Tor; ultimately, Jamie would lose her life, killing four other refugees before the caravan guards could put her and her victims to the torch.

Many of those who still have stayed on with the caravan urged Isaac to stay with them, to join them in the First Province, where they hope to rekindle the Flame at the very heart of the Decusian Empire.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:

“By decree of the Venerated Church, the First Province is a mortal health hazard, and as such, is quarantined under Article Eighteen of the Republic Treatise of Health Act of 1320. Citizens who do not possess a Quarantine Visa issued by one of the recognized Factions of the Republic are considered non-essential to the reclamation of the First Province. Under Article Eighteen, non-essentials seeking entry into an official quarantine zone must petition for entry into a said zone, and state just cause for the issuing of a Quarantine Visa by the perimeter authority.”

The officiant snorts in disdain, then adds the last line to the rehearsed monologue:

“State your business and make it quick, citizen; we’ve enough bodies in there to keep us busy for years without adding yours to the pile, and those VIC are stirring up problems something fierce as of late.”

You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It is well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions or Prelacy Families of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery – although his price may be hefty. However, despite it all, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant without resorting to subterfuge or immorality. Gathering your wits, you step forward towards the officiant, and make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.

"My name is Isaac, I've come all this way from Drolund in the East m'lord. My wife, well, she said that perhaps coming this way with these folks here would help do Decus' work and absolve us of our sins," the man spoke to the officiant, a hand gesturing with an open palm towards the caravan he arrived to the pass with. "I'm not entirely sure after these months if what she believed is true, yet here I am m'lord, and not her," his eyes drifting away for a moment, as if his mind were taken somewhere else than the before the bureaucrat. "This land is ravaged and beaten of its soul, much like its people. I guess what I can offer is a knowing of the land, the working of the till and fields. I've grown crops in Drolund, and survived nearly twenty years before, well-" Isaac falling silent once more, a hand reaching back to comb his fingers through the thick locks of hair atop his scalp.

After a few moments of back and forth banter between the two, arguing over Isaac's validity to enter the Province, the farmer from Drolund spoke up once more: "Look, either you have one more corpse to burn on this side of the wall, or that side of the wall from what I've seen of these End Times. My hope is that perhaps I can do my part in helping this land heal, to divert us from this road to perdition we're one. I even brought my own tools," Isaac added, motioning to a haver sack stuffed with farming implements.

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: Character Application for Isaac Edwards

Post by Coty » February 26th, 2021, 4:43 pm

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!

Did this man truly expect him to just let him through because he brought some tools? The officiant scoffed at the idea at first but then they talked. There was something about him. A sincerity in his tone. A sadness in his disposition. He believed him when he said he had survived much, the officiant could see it. The tempered expectations, one of the few who crossed the threshold who truly understood what it meant. Maybe, maybe this one wouldn't end up on the pile like the others. Though, the officiant thought, he would likely welcome it if he did.

Great app!

One note on the verbiage in the roleplay response: Just to let you know terms like "noble", "lady", and "lord" are not terms generally used within the Republic. Our dynasty families are known as parishes and are of the Prelacy class. The concept of the Prelacy and earning a position within it is exclusively based upon genealogy, creating what is most readily identifiable as a hereditary aristocracy within the Republic and Decusian culture. This is a new concept we want to make people aware of.

For more information on the Prelacy, please see the link below.
https://www.13thrones.com/wordpress/ind ... m/prelacy/