New Application: Renik

Forum used for archiving approved character applications.
Renik
Character: Renik

New Application: Renik

Post by Renik » July 31st, 2021, 12:26 am

Renik Application
Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:
• No

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:
• Very little, but I am quite interested in giving it a try – I chatted with some of the people on discord and they seemed very encouraging for a beginner like myself! I'm a 32 y/o mature gamer and take it seriously to learn how to do this (while having fun of course).

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?
• Ultima Online has a fantastic foundation for a game. Last October I picked it back up and played on Outlands, and recently I have played a little on UO Evolution – in Outlands there is too much player killing/griefing, in UO Evo it is…incredibly P2W…I’m looking for an experience to lose me in the world. To get deeply relaxed, immersed, lost in, entertained…to play the game in a way I never have before, and with emphasis on the way it was really intended to be played…with weight on your actions, great care for reputation (whether good or bad). The concept of RPing in this game is very alluring to me.

What will your character’s name be?:
- Renik

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:

Renik is in his early 30s, hardened, like most vying for survival from the aftermath of the torment, no stranger to slaying the undead with his bow or pair of shortswords. He is a grizzled outdoorsman with a sun-soaked tan to show for it. A ranger, with shoulder length dark brown hair, accompanied by a short beard and forest green eyes. He has a fit, athletic build from harvesting the bounty of the forest, as well as skinning his prey.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

• Uninterested in being a devout, zealot of the Republic, destined to a life of civilianhood, Renik is looking to leverage his skills as a ranger to lay claim to his fortune (no interest in fame), and ideally retire, to live his days out in peaceful solitude in a corner of uncorrupted land, on his own terms.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):

• Renik hails from Heston originally, thus explaining his affinity to nature. Although, unlike some of his countrymen, he is not so shy and reluctantly skillful to stain the lands red with any who dare cross him. That being said, Renik is not one to start a fight, but he is sure to end it.
• Generally an admirer of technology and engineering alike, the exception to the rule is that Renik has a certain distaste for guns and believes they are a coward’s weapon. Although, this doesn't keep him from taking on work for the foundry to serve his needs.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:

You have finally arrived at your destination; the Rumbling Pass train-yards. Before you stands a massive outpost, looking to have been erected within the past few years, of which is patrolled by numerous Legionnaires and Church Templar. The outpost guards the only viable entrance to the recently quarantined First Province; the home of Tor, the fallen capital of the Republic. Sitting at the foot of the massive mountain range that effectively contains the First Province within, the outpost serves as the last obstacle you must overcome before entering the quarantined territory.
You and others like you assemble outside of the palisades of the outpost, awaiting the opportunity to speak your case to the presiding Legion officiant who is processing admittance to the Province. Behind him, a passenger train, a marvel of technological advancement, sits idling on its’ tracks, dozens of persons filling it’s numerous passenger cars. A true rarity within the Republic, you can hardly believe your eyes (and ears) as the locomotive releases a massive plume of steam from its’ smokestack. You overhear many a bewildered citizen around you gossip as to how the only truly safe way into the Province is now by rail, for the Rumbling Pass’ mountains are nigh impassible and miles long, with the only safe navigable tunnels being those traveled in the safety of locomotives and rail-cars. You shudder for a moment, pondering how many forsaken souls attempted to flee the cloistered Province through the Pass’ winding, dark tunnels, hordes of Afflicted upon their heels, only to be cut down in the pitch-black darkness.
It strikes you as peculiar that so much effort has been made in securing a means of logistical supply and personnel transportation into the fallen First Province. You’ve heard rumors before of Quarantine Zones; entire Municipalities and even Territories being cut-off from access due to the blight of the Torment and the over-abundance of the walking dead – but in most instances, no one is ever trying to get into to those forsaken places. Yet here, mere miles from the ruins of Tor, masses congregate in order to make their way into the First Province Quarantine Zone. If you hadn’t known any better, the entire scene – the Outpost, the mass of military personnel, the throngs of citizens and the hissing locomotive – resembles more of an evacuation rather than a one-way ticket into anarchy and lawlessness. As you make your way closer to the train-yard outpost, you can’t help but recall all of the wild and crazy stories concerning all manners of rumors about the First Province since it’s fall two years ago. Some say that the treasures awaiting the bold are beyond measure – others swear that Salvation and Ascension is guaranteed for those who would follow their Faith and help reclaim the First Coast.
Where the truth lies, you’ve no idea – you only know that you’re here, at the precipice of it all, and your destination is within reach.
You watch, somewhat defeated, as but a scant few of the hundreds that approach the outpost officiant, who stands at the outer gates of the outpost flanked by a few heavily armored Legionnaires, are actually allowed to pass through the man-door and into the outpost and train-yards proper. You see some swarthy fellows slip pieces of gold to the officiant, while others plead their cases and rationale as to why they should be allowed to enter the recently fallen territory. Some appear to provide some sort of paperwork to the officiant, flashing official looking papers from a Faction or influential Prelacy house, who promptly waves them through. While watching and eavesdropping, you manage to overhear the well-rehearsed speech the officiant provides to those whom don’t provide paperwork or grease his palm, the words monotone and nasally.
“By decree of the Venerated Church, the First Province is a mortal health hazard, and as such, is quarantined under Article Eighteen of the Republic Treatise of Health Act of 1320. Citizens who do not possess a Quarantine Visa issued by one of the recognized Factions of the Republic are considered non-essential to the reclamation of the First Province. Under Article Eighteen, non-essentials seeking entry into an official quarantine zone must petition for entry into a said zone, and state just cause for the issuing of a Quarantine Visa by the perimeter authority.”
The officiant snorts in disdain, then adds the last line to the rehearsed monologue:
“State your business and make it quick, citizen; we’ve enough bodies in there to keep us busy for years without adding yours to the pile, and those VIC are stirring up problems something fierce as of late.”
You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It is well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions or Prelacy Families of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery – although his price may be hefty. However, despite it all, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant without resorting to subterfuge or immorality. Gathering your wits, you step forward towards the officiant, and make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.

“Hello sir.”

Renik takes out Quarantine Visa with the Foundry standard stamped on it and hands it to the officiant.

“Please see my quarantine visa issued by the foundry for my work supplying them with a consistent supply of skins, meats, and herbs for the past 6 months in turn for access to the First Province.”

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: New Application: Renik

Post by Coty » July 31st, 2021, 2:38 pm

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!

Renik
Character: Renik

Re: New Application: Renik

Post by Renik » July 31st, 2021, 3:22 pm

Thank you!! :D