Variety of crafted clothing

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
Aurora
Character: Wow meta

Variety of crafted clothing

Post by Aurora » February 15th, 2019, 2:12 am

Something I can't help but notice: everyone seems to be wearing largely the same things so far. This is a bit saddening, because I think we had a much greater variety of clothes during beta, and characters looked more distinct and had more creative outfits.

I imagine the main reasons for this is that it is that much more difficult to get a good skill bonus on the more expensive clothing. If an article takes seven times the resources of the simpler variant, you'd have to be a bit nuts to try and craft something like thigh boots with a skill boost.

It's also possible that the recipes were made rarer, or that more articles are gated behind recipes than before. While it is good to have this progression for tailors, so they always have something to develop and look for, I can't help but feel like so much potential is lost for our paperdolls.

So, I would suggest perhaps that the chance for a skill bonus to appear on crafted clothing be somewhat proportional to the resources that go into it - whether you want a sash or a leather jerkin, you would be looking at about the same investment of resources, for what is still essentially a cosmetic difference in clothing.

As it stands, I would not dare request a leather jerkin or simple cowl or thigh boots with a specific skill boost from a tailor, as it is asking for the almost impossible - both because of the resources involved and the recipe rarity.

TL;DR Let us be fancy and dapper plz

Cons
Character: Ashi Kirino

Re: Variety of crafted clothing

Post by Cons » February 15th, 2019, 3:43 am

I agree with Auri. I don't really like the graphics of a skullcap for example, but it is one of the most convenient headpieces to craft while fishing for +skill clothing. So I do that. Another alternative would be to make it work like augments. There is a very limited number of tinkering augments that go on clothing to begin with, so I don't see things overlapping.

EO clothing remains largely unused and it is not terribly difficult to make, so getting the actual items to put those augments in wouldn't be much of a problem. (This would be a buff...) Perhaps make those 1 slot augmetns so two can fit into MW crafts. Right now, MW items are only really used by a handful of people who when into trouble of putting DCI and SSI augments in.

Sacasa
Character: Jacques Sacasa

Post by Sacasa » February 15th, 2019, 5:01 am

I believe the above reasons ring true. Something like thigh boots will never be a sensible craft while trying to fish for +Skill clothing. I would not do it even if there was potential for +12 skill points, although maybe the -chance- of getting a skill proc could be higher with the more expensive pieces, even if the total amount is not changed.

The main things limiting my experimenting with different cloth pieces are either resource rarity (e.g. 8 leather + padding to make thigh boots, or anything that requires wool) or recipe rarity (i.e. when I have only 8 uses of gilded cowl left). Therefore, I would boost the chance of getting a +skill on pieces that are not master recipes by default or require leather or wool to craft. That might encourage crafters to experiment with spare resources (be it wool or leather) to create useful and distinctive pieces without affecting the overall power of skill clothing.

Kadda
Character: Basti

Post by Kadda » March 2nd, 2019, 4:31 pm

+1

revenant
Character: Black

Post by revenant » March 3rd, 2019, 3:51 pm

You don't think it has anything to do with grinding infusion? 1 cloth for eye patches and veils, 4 for short pants, 4 heavy for shoes which means no having to stock up on wool for yarn or that a quick run through the cotton fields will yield about 20K in infusion?

Cons
Character: Ashi Kirino

Post by Cons » March 4th, 2019, 1:23 am

It's natural that you would want to make the cheapest thing in order to get as many "tries" as possible. Even with relatively cheap crafts, it is not that often you get 5.5+ skill clothing. What I wanted to say is: I don't think infusion has much to do with this whole problem.

Sacasa
Character: Jacques Sacasa

Post by Sacasa » March 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Can confirm. I earned 90% ish fatigue easily and consistently over a few days before I got what I wanted.

pTxing
Character: Hildwulf Grant

Post by pTxing » March 6th, 2019, 1:56 pm

So, I would suggest perhaps that the chance for a skill bonus to appear on crafted clothing be somewhat proportional to the resources that go into it - whether you want a sash or a leather jerkin, you would be looking at about the same investment of resources, for what is still essentially a cosmetic difference in clothing.
Interesting to allocate skill bonus proportional to the resources. A Vest or a Robe would confer more bonus than say shoes or caps. The bigger the amount of clothing surface the more bonus points allocation.
+1 to that.