Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
Aurora
Character: Wow meta

Re: Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Post by Aurora » March 1st, 2019, 2:44 am

I don't think mortality needs any kind of benefit, but I do agree that logging out or staying in town for a week is not a fun way to deal with it. If mortality decay can be tied into active infusion gain, I think that would be plenty of incentive and also provide the feeling that you are able to do something about the problem, instead of just waiting for some unseen "tick" server-side. But, I say this as someone who has had no issue capping infusion on a variety of character types.

As for mortality on PD - I can appreciate the reasoning behind dropping a massive mortality bomb on PD, but I would absolutely hate to see people get 30-50% mortality for a kill that was reasonable, sparked roleplay and furthered stories or character development. PD is not something to be punished if it contributes to these things. That said, 1% is indeed too little. I think 3-5% is probably about right.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Post by silvrfist » March 1st, 2019, 10:05 am

I will definitely agree to have players "encourage" to login more and play. We just have to call a spade a spade when we see it. They current system of having mort on your character just makes you wanna stay offline for the period.

So if you are actively logged in. ( Gaining active animus or emoting/talking, the system can determine it) then your mort counts should go down faster.

Together with a higher (random) Mort count on PDs, BUT with actively playing to reduce your mort faster it should be a positive re-enforcement to play more.

revenant
Character: Black

Post by revenant » March 1st, 2019, 5:00 pm

As a player who probably has the highest number of PDs due to mort (definitely during this act) I'd like to share a few thoughts.

First, it is a mechanic resulting from risky behavior. It shouldn't have mechanical benefits which are contrary to its purpose (i.e. increasing the likelihood of death because of said risky behavior). If mortality points discourage play-style and result in someone being on their alt or simply signing out for a week...well, that's just sad. If the staff decides to assign a trait to long-term risky behavior that is probably a separate discussion.

Second, mort is the cost of doing business. It is painful to see a character with a lot of invested hopes and dreams succumb to a random death due to a bad random number generator roll. I know this firsthand. It brings up the question of whether or not it is worth it to reinvest into another character having been so harshly and unceremoniously ended. It drives at a larger question as to how many long-time players can see an end due to those reasons and whether or not they would stick around afterwards.

To the main point, mortality is punishment. In my opinion, if someone goes to ground and just doesn't log in during that time, it speaks to the player's character and commitment to existing in Tor; something which has been realized with recent "wanted" signs and a player disappearing from the game.