Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Re: Add incentive to do risky things with Mortality

Post by Azareil » February 28th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Hel wrote: February 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm Your character should not be aware of a number in a mortality system. You, the player, are. To have your character respond to your knowledge of that number is poor roleplay. OOC and IC knowledge must be kept separate. In the First Province, it is reasonable that characters understand that death is likely at all times. That includes when you, the player, see that their mortality level is at zero. Your character should not accrue mortality, decide to play it safe for three out of game weeks, and suddenly decide it's okay to go hunting again on the day their mortality level reaches zero again because you, the player, are aware that it has finally reached zero again and you, the player, are aware of how the mortality system works on an entirely mechanical level.

With Mortality giving less natural infusion and capping total animus due to 'soul potential' you could very easily RP that you feel a heavy weight upon your soul and by 'playing it safe' OOCly, you're doing some soul searching in character to try and resolve these issues holding you back. It would also make sense that after getting wrecked by a high level mob, one is more aware of their mortality and is frightened by the near death experience and needs some time to come to terms. I think it would be improper RP to just pretend nothing happened.

We all acknowledge that logging for a week because you have Mort is wrong, and we are looking for ways to encourage people not to do that META or RP wise.

The Tattered Prince
Character: Dagan

Post by The Tattered Prince » February 28th, 2019, 5:42 pm

I do not much like the idea of "incentivising" a metric which, much like other character attributes and traits, has no real metaphysical explanation in the Requiem lore. I think it is fine for players to roleplay their way around having mortality, such as feeling as though they are grievously injured, or not feeling "right", but to force an entire new mechanic which seems counter-intuitive to the "punishment" that gaining mortality is? No, I think that's the wrong way.

Alternatively, if we want to encourage players who have mortality to continue playing and logging in, I think perhaps a system similar to the kindling bonus should be adopted. The longer you're online and active, outside of sanctuary, and in the world, the timer for mortality decay should actively decrease faster than someone who is simply logging in and playing it safe, or even not logging in at all.

SeminoleScam
Character: TBD

Post by SeminoleScam » February 28th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I agree with the Tattered Prince. If anything, if we want to encourage people to stay logged in, maybe shifting the mortality decay time for people who are logged in, just as the infusion timer does if you're logged in or not.

Kadda
Character: Basti

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm

SeminoleScam wrote: February 28th, 2019, 5:44 pm I agree with the Tattered Prince. If anything, if we want to encourage people to stay logged in, maybe shifting the mortality decay time for people who are logged in, just as the infusion timer does if you're logged in or not.
+ 1

The idea is to incentivize people from just logging off when they have mortality, to which I think this is a fair way to approach it.

Logan
Character: Logan Marshall

Post by Logan » February 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I really like these ideas, +1 to Kadd's PD's giving much more mort idea, +1 to Azariel's approach to Mort RP, and +1 to Seminolescam's Mort Decay timer faster while IG! (And plus the mentioned sparring idea is great too)

Rasamith
Character: John Llareth

Post by Rasamith » February 28th, 2019, 6:09 pm

The way I see it, adding strange risk-reward mechanics in will only promote abuse of the system, and raise the death rates of those actually using it as it was intended. As many have mentioned and can personally attest to, dying to a 5% chance of death or worse, a 1% chance feels like a real shitty way to go, and when the mechanics of the world drive people to take that risk more, you're only going to have more players upset about their lackluster story conclusion.

There's more to Req than double clicking health bars and watching both sides slowly move down. Take up a trade that fits into your character's story, actively search out people and advance your plotlines together. Or if you truly crave seeing those health bars go down, take the opportunity to hunt in lower difficulty regions with a progression level of players you normally don't. Help some worthless pathetic newbies kill a decaying zombie. Introduce yourself. Lather each other in fragrant oils. Encourage his growth. Then eventually invite him into your manly man's secret society.

Take it as a challenge to explore areas of the game you previously didn't and achieve goals other than beating on the toughest guys in the most dangerous regions. Otherwise, some new system will be put in to make your decisions for you, or incite you to do the stupid thing you know you shouldn't so that you can watch months/years disappear in the blink of an eye.

Papa Virgle
Character: Virgle Jack

Post by Papa Virgle » February 28th, 2019, 7:22 pm

+1 to active play giving a random chance to shorten the mortality decay timer ..... like maybe a 1% chance per animus gained daily so like 1% to whatever the max animus is per day like 20? ...... one rng chance per day at infusion reset based on animus garnered that day. And if the rng is successful an extra day of decay is taken off the Mortality point.
BUT .... I don’t want to see something like this delaying plot development if manpower resources are allready redlining for such things.

Toroic
Character: Elric Faust

Post by Toroic » February 28th, 2019, 8:09 pm

I’m a fan of letting people work off their mort faster with active play and encourage more than just taking a week off.

On the other hand, 50% mort on PD is an absurdly high punishment. There are legitimate reasons to PD someone and while they should be carefully considered, it also shouldn’t cripple the character for a year. There’s no immersion reason to have mort on PD, and I think 5 mort on PD is a reasonable upper limit.

I prefer PD systems and love that injuries exist. In systems where hitting 0 hp is meaningless people take insane risks which I don’t believe is in the spirit of this server.

On the other hand, I also think we lose a level of social immersion if the mort cost is so absurdly high no one is ever willing to kill. Violence and threat of harm are frequently a layer of social interaction, and if we want a setting where playing a mage is actually a risk we can’t make it completely crippling for a player to play a witch hunter (disclaimer: not something I’m likely to ever want to do, but I prefer there to be RP space for it.)

Similarly, when we allow thieves to exist we should allow people to fight back. If someone catches a thief in the act, it is reasonable to try to kill them or just beat them up. It’s also a real risk that a thief will fight back and be willing to kill in self-defense and to cover their crime.

We as players have plenty of reasons to use a less violent solution, and I am not suggesting killing not having a cost, just that it’s meaningful and reasonable.

Kadda
Character: Basti

Post by Kadda » February 28th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Toroic wrote: February 28th, 2019, 8:09 pm I’m a fan of letting people work off their mort faster with active play and encourage more than just taking a week off.

On the other hand, 50% mort on PD is an absurdly high punishment. There are legitimate reasons to PD someone and while they should be carefully considered, it also shouldn’t cripple the character for a year. There’s no immersion reason to have mort on PD, and I think 5 mort on PD is a reasonable upper limit.

I prefer PD systems and love that injuries exist. In systems where hitting 0 hp is meaningless people take insane risks which I don’t believe is in the spirit of this server.

On the other hand, I also think we lose a level of social immersion if the mort cost is so absurdly high no one is ever willing to kill. Violence and threat of harm are frequently a layer of social interaction, and if we want a setting where playing a mage is actually a risk we can’t make it completely crippling for a player to play a witch hunter (disclaimer: not something I’m likely to ever want to do, but I prefer there to be RP space for it.)

Similarly, when we allow thieves to exist we should allow people to fight back. If someone catches a thief in the act, it is reasonable to try to kill them or just beat them up. It’s also a real risk that a thief will fight back and be willing to kill in self-defense and to cover their crime.

We as players have plenty of reasons to use a less violent solution, and I am not suggesting killing not having a cost, just that it’s meaningful and reasonable.

Totally with you there. 5 Mort feel more appropriate, murdering someone should really be a serious decision and the mechanics should reflect that. Of course, if you're in a "Kill or be killed" scenario, perhaps a GM can adjust your Mort to be less than 5 upon review since PD's are all reviewed internally anyways.

Vernum
Character: Francesca Ivory Ashton

Post by Vernum » March 1st, 2019, 12:37 am

I'd like to see only the time spent IG contribute to the decrease of mortality. Good luck logging off to let mortality cool down when nothing would happen to your mortality when you're logged off.

Would remove the incentive to play less with high mort, because you gotta start playing eventually anyway. If only time spent IG contributed to mortality fade, the time required would have to be shorter than currently.

I don't think we need anything else here. If we had to raise mort amount from PD, I'd like it to be a random value from of 1 to [(YourMort-VictimMort), minimum 3] or something like that.