Dungeon Camping

General discussions concerning the world of Requiem and the community.
Vee
Character: Celestine

Dungeon Camping

Post by Vee » June 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm

I have been something that I don't think is very cool.

People camping the Ashwalkers 24/7 is just not good.
I do know that at this time it's the only dungeon that is actually worth doing for most people due to the type of stuff that drops there.
But do remember that others play too, and this is worse for people who cannot play for long hours

"oh but we can share" yah what if my char, for rp reasons, dosen't want to be near yours?
or
I am not feeling like having to sprint to get to any mob. this is not fun at all.

I know that rp wise this is nothing wrong, but, come on, we are all here to play a game and have fun.

And if you think the problem is not that bad, I (for 6 hours) logged in every hour to check the dungeon and the same people were there (and wasn't only 1 day)

Do not get upset because this is not an attack on anyone at all, just something to think about.

Kristijonas
Character: Kristijonas

Re: Dungeon Camping

Post by Kristijonas » June 13th, 2021, 3:49 am

Ultimately the problem is having only 1 spawn for 1 thing.

My character is in part Kaduraan, so for him to kill Ashwalkers is morally unacceptable. That bars him completely from certain stuff. For the less morally concerned, this could lead to them out of character slaying of NPCs that they would otherwise in-character never want to hurt.

Nemo
Character: Nemo

Post by Nemo » June 15th, 2021, 7:57 am

Kristijonas wrote: June 13th, 2021, 3:49 am Ultimately the problem is having only 1 spawn for 1 thing.
Definitely this. I wonder why such a need to gate this resource this hard.

Lans
Character: Koss Brynd, Lugh Arawn, Lans Tan'tare (dead)

Post by Lans » July 12th, 2021, 10:53 am

As someone who has, definitely, lived within a dungeon I will elaborate on the complication and reasoning to why 'people do this' and disperse some fallacies people may be having and address points raised in this sub-thread.

As mentioned already; the Resource in question is definitely one that is 'gated' in the sense there is only one avenue for obtaining said resource, this coupled with the fact no top-end foe exists worth hunting for money then you're going to see top-end hunters and fighters go where they can get the most benefit, this is just common sense. Hate the game, not the player; an older adage that reminds folks that in any given system there's sometimes subtle hardships, don't blame those players for doing what would be intelligent/smart for their characters to do. Like any other resource, such as coal, the more adept and diligent individual will be the one that tends to be able to acquisition it. (I have so many complaints about coal hoarding I could address in regards to that, but I won't.)

If your character isn't at the top 75 percentile of its' strength and built to be tough, chances are they won't be able to go to Ashwalkers' alone. Ashwalkers in particular are a VERY deadly foe type (All 25%+) meaning it is easy to get mortality and I know at least one player has lost providence fighting them, but Augments and Particulate are both considered 'end game objects' and not intended for people early in their game-play to be looking at as a means to be tougher -- if the evidence presented by design is anything to go by, this is what you turn to when your character is nearly completed (If not build wise already.)
- Sub Point; as someone who regularly attended ashwalkers for quite a while, yes I did share because its always have company and taking turns keeps the server atmosphere civil/fun; but it is WILDLY hard to get a group to be willing to go into the ashwalkers with you and remain there, this is likely to always be true of any dungeon, few people have the 'Player Grit' to maintain the grind.

My third point is responding to, "But I don't like..." then your character may need to be tougher in terms of resolve. Every real life job I have ever had, held a handful of folks i'd rather see cease existing than have to deal with them, but I was at those jobs to earn a living and pay for expenses -- and I had no say in their being present at the job to do the same or not, there is a relatively game-play lesson to learn from this; sometimes where you're punching your card at will have people you're not fond about, but this opens a lot of venues for good roleplay -- perhaps your character misunderstood that person or their nature, or maybe given you're doing the same activities you're not so different afterall.

Regarding checking the dungeon casually, which is what as a person that plays the sheer amount I do would call that? Yeah, when there's a major power-paradigm worthy resource, you're going to see powerful individuals securing it, and imagine how much more frustrating it was being one of those people and even trying to plot out a schedule for avoiding others (Getting all the loot beats rarely some of it). But each of us simply had to accept the nature of the beast that was the situation, and simply tolerate one another, and at times this made it a huge drag and it could be an hour, two, or three before your turn in rotation for a augment (Filament grind) to come up and acquire. This is not an easy dungeon in terms of any regard of it, but that isn't a bad thing!

My heart definitely goes out to all the fighters on the server, since we have our own side of suffering and complications that crafters as my census has gone, are entirely oblivious regarding: Ashwalkers could afford another floor or two, Eyeless could afford an entire new floor, Cannibals as it stands are a low-end dungeon which is less rewarding than zombies so a warrior just will tend not to go there, the haunted mansion i'm not sure has any foe of great worth for my character(s), the small cult/undead camps are really just newbie biomes for farming copper and rarely a skinning resource, the Ooks afaik aren't for money but have a select type of loot they're better for than most.

When someones' after a certain thing that's what they'll tend towards doing, the best way to remedy that would be to just satiate what they're after and hope they disperse afterwards, or do so with the understanding they will.