RP Reminder -- Character Names

General discussions concerning the world of Requiem and the community.
Glimmer
Character: Theo Hanlon

RP Reminder -- Character Names

Post by Glimmer » May 7th, 2023, 2:30 pm

Just a quick reminder! We have multiple characters on the shard who go by a different name than what their paperdoll says. Some player's RP is that they have never spoken their first, last (or both!) names publicly so it's best to err on the side of caution if you are unsure if you should know a characters name. If you know who the player is, never hurts to ask!

It's no big deal ultimately, but it can break immersion. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk. :lol:

Papa Virgle
Character: Virgle Jack

Re: RP Reminder -- Character Names

Post by Papa Virgle » May 8th, 2023, 12:38 am

thankyou for the reminder ....... Ted? :D

Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Post by Controll » May 8th, 2023, 9:10 am

Maybe there could be an anonymity system of some sort that allows us to place a name on characters? It can sometimes be hard to remember who has introduced themselves with what name.

Ashford
Character: Ashford Reed

Post by Ashford » May 8th, 2023, 10:52 am

Man that'd be cool. Also easier to keep track of who you've met on which character too. Sometimes I run across people and then don't see them again on one character or another for months.

Glimmer
Character: Theo Hanlon

Post by Glimmer » May 8th, 2023, 11:14 am

I suppose those of us who do this, can put it in our [look description, however requires reading, which we all know is a tough ask. ;)

But yeah, anything to make it easier and not accidentally get characters in trouble from related roleplay. That also cannot be abused. Which, is currently the reason why we don't have disguise kits IIRC. I could be wrong.

Valentina
Character: Tina

Post by Valentina » May 8th, 2023, 11:29 am

I'll take the lead, if no one else already does this.

Image :lol:

Sylvi Iramdottir
Character: Thalia Cirillo

Post by Sylvi Iramdottir » May 14th, 2023, 10:03 am

In a previous rp game I'd played for many years there was a system in place that was pretty interesting. Names of individuals whom one had not yet met were labeled 'someone' once you met them one of two things would occur, either you could give them a custom nickname (that only shows for you) or they could use a command to introduce, thus exposing your name above your paper doll to that person.

Alternatively on yet a totally different rp setting they allowed a sort of soft concealment, for instance being able to set your paper doll's name to something like 'Gruff Midlander' with the caveat that some characters could roll perception to learn more. So if they succeed that perc roll, they are able to recognize the other's accent, voice, and mannerisms to a greater degree. Its important to note one still cant magically discover a name without some real rp but we all know that (I hope). Like subtlety vs perception.

The trouble is that there would need some slight rule revision ie, one couldn't use the function to set their paper doll to say 'King of the land' or 'Shady guy'. All within reason and scope, it's also a matter of possibility within the engine I'm not sure what can or can't be accomplished.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » May 14th, 2023, 10:39 pm

Controll wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:10 am Maybe there could be an anonymity system of some sort that allows us to place a name on characters? It can sometimes be hard to remember who has introduced themselves with what name.
This exists, is coded, and could be implemented tomorrow. Staff don't like it for silly reasons.

Rasamith
Character: John Llareth

Post by Rasamith » November 20th, 2023, 6:26 pm

Easiest thing is to make an ooc book on your guy that references paper doll name, and what you are aware their name is.

Eg: Vance Silvercrest - full name, "Stinker" nickname
Niamh - full name, "Tumbles" nickname
Eisali - full name, "Stop shooting me in the ass" nickname

Can do the exact same for npcs you meet and interact with.

Saves us all having a potentially awkward system put in place that possibly gums up the works of day to day living. I have done it with every one of my characters since my first fuck up. Rarely had one since and it keeps things flowing nicely for conversation if you have quick references, can add more detail depending how involved you are - if you can't draw the line between what you read in a legacy post and what you know about that dastardly murderer, for example.

gery
Character: Damon Bennett

Post by gery » January 28th, 2024, 4:32 am

easy, be amnesiac