Application for Constantine Drayden

Forum used for archiving approved character applications.
Murdy
Character: Constantine

Application for Constantine Drayden

Post by Murdy » August 23rd, 2021, 7:07 am

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:

I previously played Requiem for a short time back in January 2014 but it was such a long time ago that I can't remember the name of the character.

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:

I got my start with private UO roleplay servers in ~2006, starting with Dark Age II. Since then I've played DA 2.5, Requiem (briefly), DA 3, Khaeros, and DA Redemption.

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?

I've always considered risk, conflict, and consequence to be central to roleplay. And when it comes to those things, the balance of mechanical implementation, player courtesy, and appropriate consequence is something unique to both UO roleplay and this community.

I'm continually impressed by the efforts of the Requiem development team, and I'm eager to both explore the world they've created and to collaborate in creating some new stories in a familiar format with players both new and old.

What will your character’s name be?:

Constantine Vasile Drayden (full)
Constantine Drayden (in-game)

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight, and any notable features:

Constantine is the picture of a native Kaduraasian; long dark brown hair, tanned tawney skin, and emerald eyes. He is 6'1 with a lithe, medium build. His face is angular with a strong chin and prominent cheekbones. Though appearing outwardly rugged, to the keen eye it seems almost like a carefully cultivated facade; beneath the strategically applied dirt --and the scars which seem almost aesthetic-- lie neatly trimmed nails, meticulously groomed hair, and smooth unblemished skin.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

Constantine mistakenly believes that his brother, Khristo, is dead and that his murderer has taken residence in the First Province. He has committed immense time, effort, and personal expense and marooned himself in one of the most dangerous places imaginable on the false premise of bringing his brother's killer to justice.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):

Born in the hellscape of Kaduraas, Constantine was dealt a kinder hand than most. When he was eleven he was separated from his family and placed into the care of a sickly widower, named Andrei, in Antongrad. Until his death from health complications, Constantine was the man's attendant, lifeline, and confidant.

Constantine's role as a perpetual caregiver was not without its benefits; it afforded him a comparatively easy upbringing and rudimentary education. Andrei, a celebrated veteran of the Republic, was learned in his own right; he schooled Constantine in his letters and basic martial skills, among other things.

Andrei, having no children of his own, bequeathed his estate to Constantine. A degenerate gambler before his health had begun to fail, much of the estate went to satisfy outstanding debts. Still, Constantine was left with a small inheritance.

With no ties left in Kaduraas, Constantine resolved to use the money to find his family. It was an effort that would be met with a gauntlet of trials, misadventures, and apparent tragedy.

After being misinformed about the fate of his brother, Constantine's goal of reunion turned to a path of revenge; a winding route that has brought him to the First Province.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:

You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It is well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions or Prelacy Families of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery – although his price may be hefty. However, despite it all, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant without resorting to subterfuge or immorality. Gathering your wits, you step forward towards the officiant, and make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.

Constantine comes to an abrupt halt before the officiant and, before he can speak, holds up a finger with a flourish.

"My name.. is Constantine Vasile Drayden, I have traveled very far on some pressing business, but I do not intend to stay. Perhaps you could, uhhm..." Constantine turns his palms upwards and smiles disarmingly. "Make an exception."

The unbridled annoyance that crosses the face of the officiant causes Constantine to step back. The officiant angrily jabs a finger towards Constantine, his head turning to address the armed Legionnaires--

"Okay, okay-- waitwaitwait-WAIT-wait. Liiisten. You have struck a hard bargain, my friend." Constantine sputters quickly, pointing back at the officiant. "You are very good at dis. I see why dey chose you, eh?"

Constantine looks between the two Legionnaires and nods slowly. "Tough negiator..." He adds with an uncomfortable chuckle. Then he reaches out, turns the pointing hand of the stunned officiant over, unclasps it, and upturns a modest sum of gold into it with a flourish.

"Okay? Okay." Constantine says, smiling as he gingerly closes the officiant's fingers around the coins and pats them gently.

"I'm gonna go?" Constantine queries, nodding and gesturing towards the gates.

The officiant sucks his teeth, glances at the sum, and chokes out a stunned, exasperated noise before throwing up his empty hand in disdainful assent.

Constantine ducks his head, avoiding further uncomfortable eye contact, and quickly slips through the outpost gates as the officiant's voice trails in from behind, betraying his utter bewilderment. "Next applicant..."

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: Application for Constantine Drayden

Post by Coty » August 23rd, 2021, 6:44 pm

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!