A concluded business' receipt

In-Character message board for Kaelius Mercantile & Acquisitions. Posts made here are considered physical messages upon an in-game message board.
Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

A concluded business' receipt

Post by Nedoral » August 16th, 2021, 11:29 pm

The door abruptly swung open and Matteo stormed inside, shoving it back against the howling wind. He was drenched wet, squashing his beard to let some rain water fall on the Sign and Sealed's old carpet near the entrance. The library's customary musty smell was now mixed with the wet carpenter's. He glanced about the ample room until his glance fell upon a young woman reading a few feet away.

"'Scuse me, lass. Ya seekin' some copper?"
"What?", she looked at him with slight bewilderment, closing her tome by accident.
"Yea, can ya write pretty? Fer a note, I mean?", he continued, motioning his hand impatiently as he spoke.
"Y-yes, my handwriting is good-"
"Goodie", he nodded, grabbing a piece of parchment from a desk and slamming his palm on it in front of her desk. "Take yer pen".

Although a bit perplexed, she did as he asked and positioned the wet pen atop the parchment, expectantly.
"To the K...uh...K-sumthin' merchants-"
"The what?", she glanced up.
"Don't remember the damn name! Jus' put it there, they'll know". He rubbed his forehead and continued: "'Ere's the receipt fer 'bout one thousan' of 'em timber and change, paid fer...uhm...Grayhoun'"
"Grayhound? Like the dog?"
"Yea", he shrugged. She wrote it on the paper with a furrowed brow.
"Fee pending fer that Milt'n fella, no lastname. Whaddya call it when people carry yer stuff fer ya?"
"Hmmm...you mean as luggage? If so, maybe a porter?"
"Aye! That's it, he carried me loggage, a porter a'ight! Write it, lass"
"His name's Milton? Just Milton, no last name?"
"Dunno, never gave it. Put it down he had wide shoulders, very strong chap".
"Like this?", she showed the message so far. He nodded, briefly perusing the paragraph.
"Yea. Write that he can come by and get his fee fer me loggage, up fer grabs fer a week. No more".
"Got it. Anything else?"

Matteo brought the brief note closer to his face and read it through, putting it inside his pocket. He put a handful of copper coins on the desk in front of the woman, maybe fifty of them. "Well done, lassie, thank ya!" and slapped her on the back a little too hard. Bracing himself, he opened the door to brave the heavy rain once more to pin this receipt on the board and call it a day.