Blank Engineering Recipe

For issues concerning crafting or harvesting.
Zarwaddim
Character: Magnus Zarwaddim

Blank Engineering Recipe

Post by Zarwaddim » July 29th, 2021, 8:00 pm

I completed research two days ago and was rewarded with a blank recipe. I obtained the Recipe ID skill and tried to [lore it, but only got a message with ellipsis saying I was trying to identify.

I submitted an in-game bug using the Help system, and the sub-menu for crafting/harvesting. I just wasn't sure that was received, and it was suggested I also post here

Zarwaddim

Re: Blank Engineering Recipe

Post by Zarwaddim » July 31st, 2021, 1:10 pm

Today I completed my second round of research for a recipe (engineering). It also came up blank.

Chatting with some helpful people on the #player_help channel in Discord, it was hypothesized that maybe I am getting a recipe that I cannot yet procure because I haven't leveled up World Lore enough, or invested in the Item Research II & III yet.

Currently I am at 30.3% World Lore, and have both the Recipe Identification and Item Research I perks.

It may be that I have incorrectly assumed that with the basic requirements met I would only obtain common recipes, even thinking I might garner some duplicates later on - which I am fine with. I would then have assumed that as I leveled up World Lore and obtained Item Research II and/or III that it would then open up and let me get the rarer ones at some point later down the line.

One other quirk is that with the first research attempt I had two Tinker Tools in the book, and one was consumed - giving me the first blank recipe. This time around, after the second research attempt, I notice that it says I have one Tinker Tool available in the slot - so it doesn't appear that the tool was consumed upon research completion.

Please consider this a friendly "bump" and let me know if you require any other information. Thanks.

Edit: I was researching Tinker Tool (engineering). I had the Tinker Tool, Beeswax, Vellum (purchased form vendor), Drafting Ink (3 originally, down to 1 now), Acacia Gum and a Morium. The Morium, I thought that was only required for researching spells, but it required it, and I had a few, so I used one each time.

Update: I've selected the Tinker Tool, and would click "Okay" on the Research Gump to "Start Research", but I get the "You would not be able to research that with your level of Item Research ability. [Purchase Item Research II or Item Research III for more results."
  • If I am in my inventory, and Left-Click the Research Book, and then select "Start Research" then it would give the same error message that I need Item Research II or III for more results.
  • If I then click "Stop Research" and then click "Start Research" it would give me the message "You begin the research. [Gain infusion to complete.]", but then if I gain Infusion my research would not advance - I get no research % gain message.
  • I did this multiple times until finally, I get a message "The morium seems to be missing to continue the research.", but only AFTER it said to gain infusion to complete, and after I actually gained infusion from doing something.
  • Note: I tried selecting "Start Research" through the inventory and using "Okay" in the Gump to "Start Research" at least 100 times to see if it would eventually give me the proper message (it did not - I got the "You would not be able to research..." error message every time). If you tell me I should have tried 101 or more times, well, I may just lose it. :)
So it looks as if there is some bug with Engineering research and it requiring a morium. The two blank recipes I received are the result of me using two moriums because of that message saying it needed it. This, at least to me, appears to be why I am getting a blank recipe, because I used a morium after getting the message to use one.

I am hoping this is helpful. Thanks for taking a look at this.

Zarwaddim

Re: Blank Engineering Recipe

Post by Zarwaddim » August 12th, 2021, 6:03 pm

<bump>