Grit damage spell.

For issues concerning magic, spells or enchanting.
Losstarot
Character: Kalisto Krauss

Grit damage spell.

Post by Losstarot » June 7th, 2021, 7:51 pm

I was told by Rex in Theorycrafting chat today that the former Hunger spell (reduced hunger levels) was changed to a Grit damage spell, in other words, a spell that damages grit.

I happened to have it cast on me by a mob as soon as I was starting a hunt. The single cast of the spell dropped my grit from 4644 to 0. I assume this is a bug.

While we're on this subject, let me add a few thoughts:

- If there are ways to damage grit now, I feel like there should be ways to heal it (and I don't mean food, it's neglictable how much grit it recovers). But with ways to heal it, sanctuaries won't matter as much. It's a double edged sword.

- Even if the spell is bugged now, dungeons with caster NPCs usually have several of them. Imagine if they all cast the Grit spell at you. They used to do that with hunger and it was already horrible then.

- After each hunt, it's guaranteed that you'll have to sit down for 30mins in a Sanctuary zone to recover Grit. This is a system that I learned to like due to the elegant solution it has to prompt people to go to RP hubs. But I don't feel like it will be fun to run to sanctuaries more often just because 3 mobs got me with that spell.

- Grit is a really valuable resource because it takes from the most important stat of all: TIME. When I use Grit, it is a compromise that, somewhere down the road, I'll have to spend those 30mins in a sanctuary. Should we really add more time penalties?

- Player mages with this spell will be able to kill anyone they couldn't already.

- I hate this spell. :)

Lol, the last comment was a joke. But in all seriousness, guys, reconsider this change. Hunger spell was bad, it was annoying, forced you to carry extra food. But this change made it even more annoying and, well, anything that damages or stops grit will be OP. The irony of this is that mages themselves don't need Grit to heal.

Kachina
Character: Lyanora Voss

Re: Grit damage spell.

Post by Kachina » June 7th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Wow... just... wow.

Warriors lead miserable lives to begin with. This change seems offensive. Hunting already has a major time limit, why discourage non-mages from venturing out into the wild/dungeons even more unless they have a massive party with them?

Definitely needs to be reversed.

Mektor
Character: Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 7th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Ouch. First time I hear of it.

Agreed the spell that gives hunger was a major pain in the ass. Maybe useful in RP or PVP, but in PVM it was just an annoyance. Simple solution would've been to take it off the mobs' spell list.

That being said, hurting Grit seems really heavy too. As you say, I doubt dropping it to 0 was intended. Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting the formula. But my first feeling would be to make that spell do something else.

Maybe Sanity and put it on the backburner until that system is implemented?

Vee
Character: Celestine

Post by Vee » June 7th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Unless something in the grit system is going to change this spell makes no sense.

It's already impossible to do long dungeons/fights/quests without running out of grit quickly, specially if you tank or off heal someone.

Warrior classes already have a finite resource that is essencial for any and can't be refilled out of thin air.

Same as me asking to have a swm that I hit someone and take their mana until they go back to town for recover it, sounds silly.

Rex
Aeolian Staff
Character:

Post by Rex » June 7th, 2021, 9:51 pm

Did you happen to get KO'd within a few seconds of this?
The Grit is supposed to be taken for 12 seconds then restored fully. There was an Alive check in there though, which i've removed.
tested working here locally, going to commit the fix now. It will now just check if you exist at the 12 second mark. This is A similar effect to mana drain, it takes mana for a short time then gives it back.
Also, you can still use grit to heal during this effect as it will have just a small effect, basically half your normal healing iirc.

Losstarot
Character: Kalisto Krauss

Post by Losstarot » June 7th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Making it temporary as a debuff is not bad, but 12 secs is an eternity in fights. Really seems like it's too long a duration.

For further investigation: I was at 0 grit and couldn't heal at all. There was even a message informing me of that. So maybe healing while at 0 grit is bugged too or not possible at all. Whenever my grit is below max heal value (40 or so), I only heal for my current's grit value and it won't deduct from the pool. For example: at 35 grit, I'll heal 35 every time and never drop below that.

Mektor
Character: Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 7th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Depends if the duration acts like a SWM/disable (whatever their call) which is fixed unless reduced by anatomy, or if it is shortened based on arcana resistance?