Frenzied whirlwind

For issues concerning melee or ranged combat (non-magic).
CuteAndWhisk
Character: Me

Frenzied whirlwind

Post by CuteAndWhisk » May 18th, 2021, 8:08 am

Frenzied whirlwind does nothing to a single enemy, and it does not trigger any extra dmg or DoT.

When there is more than one enemy around a player while using Frenzied whirlwind, it does trigger the DoT. However, the dmg is so insignificant it doesn't do much harm to the weakest of zombies. And it hobblers the user making it super risky in any intense pvm situation (I would not dare to use it during PVP).

In addition and overall, and in my opinion, Axes are in a somewhat lousy position regarding SWMs:

Blood lust SWM's extra dmg is nice, but the self-heal (and extra dmg) would be worthwhile only on hard-hitting weapons to be noticeable (due to scaling); however, it works only for 6 seconds, so you might hit like once if you are lucky.

Frenzied whirlwind and Whirlwind both require higher skill to be valid, making them weak at 70% weapon skill. In comparison, other weapon skills, for example, wrestling, swords, fencing, have SWM benefiting a user right away after the purchase (around 70% of corresponding weapon skills).

At the moment, we have perhaps only one dedicated axe fighter (Furio), which tells you a bit about the current state of this weapon skill. I would suggest inviting him into discussion and help with testing so Axes' SWMs can become competitive.

Cheers.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Re: Frenzied whirlwind

Post by Meowakin » May 18th, 2021, 8:41 am

I will say, having accidentally been hit by Frenzied Whirlwind twice on accident, it *seemed* to do some pretty respectable damage. Maybe an issue when applied to NPCs?

CuteAndWhisk
Character: Me

Post by CuteAndWhisk » May 19th, 2021, 4:55 am

Sure.

It's more about Frenzied whirlwind being useless against a single enemy and even against the targeted enemy. More often than not, you wanna avoid getting swarmed by medium to strong monsters. In a situation where you can allow it, it's usually trash-level monsters that do not require using SWM to get rid of. Making Frenzied whirlwind pretty ineffective in any serious pvm or group pvm

Furio
Character: Furio

Post by Furio » May 19th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Hello!

Sorry it took me some time to reply to this post!

Aaanyway, as it goes about weapons I often caught myself thinking I should have went swords instead. Bleed is just too good to pass and often times its simply necessary if you don't mean to be fighting something for some LONG time. If you stop to notice most people seem to know it and picked swords as their weapon of choice and they are not wrong about doing it.

If you asked me which kind of weapon you should pick, I'd say swords, of course.

Looking through the list of SWM I agree with him when he says about Frenzied Whirlwind (and Meowkin, if it did some decent damage to you, it must have been before the changes because right now it doesn't do much, no, and I'm not even talking about the effect on single enemy).

To a single target it does around 5 total damage in ticks of 1 and AoE literally wont kill a mosquitoe at times (the ones from the swamp) or a slime (from the sewers). And it'll hobble you too, if you have more than one enemy around you, which in many situations is quite dangerous making you question even more if it should be used.

As I said on this post here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2266, Frenzied Whirlwind and Whirwind will always compete and since they share the same cooldown and are both AoE, only one of these abilities will ever be used. No point in using the weaker version of a AoE ability if you can use both. And again agreeing with him, being surrounded more often than not is something you dont want to go through since most of the enemies here are tough, following the survival horror that's the main theme of the server.

As it goes about bloodlust he said it all, and I often find myself missing my attacks not getting any healing from it.

And that's about it, I guess. I honestly see no benefits or reasons (besides RP, which is why I picked it, I thought it'd suit my character better) to pick axes currently when you have swords as an option. Though I am confident the staff is well aware about it all and its a matter of time before they fix everything, we are in beta afterall.

Thanks for bringing this up and sorry for the delay of the reply and the long post.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Post by silvrfist » May 25th, 2021, 11:02 pm

The bleed damage should definitely need some looking at.

It shouldnt be comparable to sword since Axe is still a Group PvM weaponry but boosting it abit will make things more viable for axe-lovers.