Key Copy Forced Emote

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Murdy
Character: Constantine

Key Copy Forced Emote

Post by Murdy » February 21st, 2023, 1:40 am

PROBLEM

Its a common practice among engineers to copy their client's keys without them knowing when they install locks. This is only really problematic from an RP standpoint because it can be done in full view of other players who have no mechanical way to perceive it.

WHY ITS A PROBLEM

I'd argue that the chief mechanic to avoiding having your things stolen shouldn't lend itself so easily to having your things stolen-- especially in a way that totally subverts the lockpicking skill and the whitelist/investment that comes with it.

SOLUTION

While I think its important that there be space for shady businessmen, since players can't be trusted to behave in good faith I suggest that a forced emote be implemented when players use a blank key (in the same way that rope forces an emote).

ALTERNATIVE IMPLEMENTATION

If we wanted to retain this feature in some form, the ability to copy keys secretly (emote-free) could later be a hybrid perk (lockpicking/engineering?).
Last edited by Murdy on February 21st, 2023, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Atreyo
Character: Fiat Tenebrae

Re: Key Copy Forced Emote

Post by Atreyo » February 21st, 2023, 9:51 am

Considering staff set strict rules for burglary to generate RP consequences, this proposition walks hand in hand with such mindset and I fully agree with it.

Rhonja Swiftfox
Character: Rhonja Swiftfox

Post by Rhonja Swiftfox » March 14th, 2023, 5:56 am

I think too, that is a good idea to solve a difficult problem.

Glimmer
Character: Theo Hanlon

Post by Glimmer » March 20th, 2023, 9:03 pm

Agreed. Something is needed.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » March 23rd, 2023, 6:30 pm

Murdy wrote: February 21st, 2023, 1:40 am
PROBLEM

Its a common practice among engineers to copy their client's keys without them knowing when they install locks. This is only really problematic from an RP standpoint because it can be done in full view of other players who have no mechanical way to perceive it.
Who would do such a thing? :o

Although this is the first ive ever heard of such a practice, I agree an emote would help bigly with such nefarious, extremely tempting deeds being stopped. There should be an exception to the emote popping you out of stealth as I view a thief pickpocketing a key, making a copy of it, and putting it back to be good RP/ conduct if they can get away with it.

Archin
Character: Archin

Post by Archin » June 22nd, 2023, 7:39 am

Never commented but we love this, its on the list to implement. Great suggestion!