Let's Talk: Skill Clothes

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Glimmer
Character: Theo Hanlon

Let's Talk: Skill Clothes

Post by Glimmer » June 10th, 2021, 10:16 pm

I'm not looking to making skill clothes easier, however I'd like to suggest a QoL adjustment.

Would it at all be possible to toggle the skill clothes perks on/off so that we may choose when we want to attempt the chance of having skill bonus apply to clothing? It could be as simple as toggling the perk groupings individually, or as in depth as each skill one wants to attempt, though I understand this one would be the least likely, but doesn't hurt to ask!

Why would someone wish to toggle off the chance of a skill bonus proc? I can only use my example for this but I had a tailor make me a dress that wasn't available to me any other way. She just so happened to proc a skill clothes piece, but of course, it was a skill that I had no use for at that time. It reduced the amount of skill bonus clothes I could wear in the skill of my choice. So I had to choose between my "fashion choice" and my bonuses. I'm well aware it's a minor complaint and perhaps I am alone in it, but it would nice to be able to coordinate pieces as part and parcel of our "fashion choices" instead of relying on random chance.

This would allow the tailor/seamstress/clothier/fashionista's to have more opportunities to possibly create skill clothes outfits instead of players layering the same item into any free slot possible. As it currently is people are just grinding the items with the least material cost just to churn out product. Not very immersive.

Also, Artisanry skill clothes, pretty please!

TheOriginalFive
Character: Viola Wandren

Re: Let's Talk: Skill Clothes

Post by TheOriginalFive » June 10th, 2021, 10:27 pm

I strongly agree with this.

From personal experience as a shopper, I've mostly seen just skill hats, obi belts, shoes, and the occasional long skirt for sale. Prior to his hiatus Galryth had sold skill boosting doublets and body sashes at least.

Also, from a roleplay perspective, I have this absurd mental image of someone wearing 6 pairs of shoes at once: on their feet, hands, and around their waists like belt charms.

I love the rebinding system and I don't want it removed, but I'd certainly like more variety in terms of skill clothes that look good once in a while.

Thes
Character: Marcus Calerus

Post by Thes » June 10th, 2021, 11:08 pm

I'm on board for these ideas. A truly first-Eden problem, but I have at times been attempting to produce a masterwork for daily wear or client fulfillment and have accidentally yielded a masterwork or extraordinary skill clothing. This then bumps into the same dilemma as Theo comments above between fashion (subsequently character development and branding IMO) and skill bonuses. Now if I could make a conscious decision in the same manner I choose to mark my crafts, wonderful!

I confess this continues somewhat adjacent to the initial topic; however, a thought to keep in mind about the variety of skill clothing available. As a tailor, the material cost of what I am making is certainly in consideration for making skill clothes, but for me personally the bigger factor is whether I can cut this item up to prevent littering. Otherwise I am manually dumping inventory into a trash can I must locate.

Also of note: according to the skill description IG, the material cost is factored into the chance of whether or not the item will become a skill item.

Cons
Character: Ashi Kirino

Post by Cons » June 11th, 2021, 10:40 am

I'd love the ability to "extract" the skill bonus somehow and apply it to other items, especially recipe-gated ones. I have already cut a mythic Obi which came out with +stealing.

Glimmer

Post by Glimmer » July 7th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Theo wrote: June 10th, 2021, 10:16 pm Also, Artisanry skill clothes, pretty please!
Bumping to stay relevant.

Glimmer

Post by Glimmer » August 7th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Bumpity bump.