Teaching / Mentors - Some Guy's Perspective

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Some Guy on Requiem
Character: Milton Fields

Teaching / Mentors - Some Guy's Perspective

Post by Some Guy on Requiem » September 19th, 2021, 12:07 pm

A quick glance back through the suggestions of old reveals I'm not the only one to approach this idea. ((It's a good idea)) And the consensus seems to be that most people would rather RP being trained in something, over grinding it out alone. Where opinions seem to differ most it seems is exactly how such a skill should be implemented mechanically.

Here's my take: Probably Shouldn't

Don't lynch me just yet, what I mean by the above, is that THAT should be the mechanical solution. RP.

We've faction application. Character applications. Legacy and Absolutions, etc already in place. Tools to foster and encourage RP between players in-game and on forum. Legacy Points too, which, aside from a counter for time spent IG are supposed to be handed out for good RP.

I say a GREAT use of the yet untapped VERSES system would be to open it up to players who are giving and receiving training. It gets roleplayed out in game, maybe a forum post or two get made or staff member checks up on things then BAM. You go from neophyte glassblower or swordsman or smith to one with some training. Keep at it an you're eventually as good at the trade as the one teaching you.

The mentor (and apprentice) get some Legacy Points for good roleplay and everyone skips the grind.

Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

Re: Teaching / Mentors - Some Guy's Perspective

Post by Nedoral » September 19th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Couldn't agree more, especially because I'm actively seeking such endeavour IG at the moment. However, I do have a suggestion: while I'd love for people to be as interested in this system as I do, it should not be made into a coded system as such, where Skill Teacher Char d-cliks some menu and Apprentice Char receives permission to be able to increase said skill after being clicked and bam, everything done.

I know Some Guy didn't suggest this, but Requiem staff is very fast on the coding turf so I may as well post it here in order to avoid this. I fear everything mechanical and integrated into IG scripts makes for an excuse for people to "just do it" as opposed to actually have a well-defined reason to pursue said course of action. Heck, it might even limit some character progression trees if staff is so inclined to enforce character build standards (which I'm up for). I'm not even against grinding the skill, just the fact that you should not simply learn a skill outta thin air.

This should receive the same treatment as characters application, where a staffer reviews what has been done in some way (as it was pointed out, through the forums or IG interaction, maybe both) and then decide to allow char development based on the quality of the whole ordeal. For a RP enforced shard, such rule would be a great fit barring staff availability.

I actually have secretly planned what I would do if someone requested tutelage off my character, but it hasn't happened yet. I believe more RP-related features is an effective manner to pull people from a mere grind session if there's something more interesting (and cooperative) at hand. Lastly, on the rewards note, I'm actually against gifting the Apprentice Char legacy points, as a better reward would be receiving green light on the desired skill. Rewarding the veteran char for their time is both fair and expected though.