Fleeting Characters

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

Fleeting Characters

Post by Nedoral » May 17th, 2022, 10:19 am

I was revisiting this post (about purchasing more claim slots with LP) and it occurred me of something I miss in Requiem: the opportunity to use a disposable character just to interact with people on the fly.

What if a handful of LP allowed you to play a character for a brief period of time, just to spice things up in a meeting your actual character wouldn't wanna (or be able to) participate? The best example I have for this is showing up as a waitress late for her shift and adding some color to the patrons around. I consider it fairly safe to restrict fleeting characters for ~8 hours or so, maybe 10-15 (or less) silver pieces to accomodate clothes and other apparel and (of course) no skill gain allowed.

There is an aspect of abuse in a sense you -could- buy stuff from this ghost alt to mule it, but I'd be pretty down to it even if this char came with empty pockets. I assume the feature of animus gain through [look must be addressed as well, and I presume there's pretty heavy coding to make this work. But I really think it deserves some consideration at the freedom it provides, like an impromptu mass taking place or a Foundry's low official complaining that there are too many trees by the General Store and bossing people around to cut them down.

Yay, let's do it?
Yay, but it's hard! Maybe in the future?
Nay, the idea sucks and you suck?

What do you think, guys?

Rex
Aeolian Staff
Character:

Re: Fleeting Characters

Post by Rex » May 17th, 2022, 10:33 am

I like it and it sounds really fun, but its also outside the scope of what we want the player experience to be. It's very much what we allow and encourage our GM staff to do, but once we give that level of access and pull back the curtain it becomes a dirrefent experience for the player. As far at coding we already have the functionality to control any NPC on the fly, jumping from body to body, switching out and restoring everything on npc death, etc, etc.