Painting Descriptions

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Hollis.Maeby
Character: Hollis Maeby

Painting Descriptions

Post by Hollis.Maeby » August 9th, 2022, 8:30 pm

The descriptions allowed for paintings are very short and don't allow for a lot of detail to go into the look for them. I'm not sure if this changes for MP paintings as I haven't crafted one yet. But extended the description limit for paintings would be amazing. Right now you have to sort of guess where the stop off would be, because some times the description box will let you type more than will show up in the look.

Thanks.

Murdy
Character: Constantine

Re: Painting Descriptions

Post by Murdy » August 15th, 2022, 1:33 pm

+1 to this. There's been a lot of talk about galleries, exhibits, and fairs soon™ and this would be a really nice QOL change if we could get it before then.

I will say, though; unlike clothing, armor, weapons, or jewelry the main value of paintings and sculptures is the RP around them. I think arbitrarily gating their description length behind mechanical quality would do a disservice to both the RP of artisans and the wider community who are meant to enjoy them. There's still a lot that can be said about an average work of art.

Domna
Character: Aemilia Drusilla

Post by Domna » August 15th, 2022, 2:19 pm

+1

Art in this game almost exclusively relies on written descriptions. Art can have an especially powerful and rewarding effect in game. Descriptions of art being limited, the way they are now, also limits story effect.

Free the art descriptions!

Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

Post by Nedoral » August 15th, 2022, 6:22 pm

+1

I requested the same thing in the Theorycrafting Discord channel, but I'll add my voice in here as well. People need better artwork in their homes, so please consider this.

Rex
Aeolian Staff
Character:

Post by Rex » August 31st, 2022, 4:48 pm

The initial painting window has 1 field you can type into, but once the painting is completed you can click and Describe again and fill in the 3 standard fields to add more text.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » August 31st, 2022, 6:26 pm

Quality should lock the descriptions. Regular or below should get no description. Exceptional should get one description box. Extraordinary should get two description boxes. Masterpiece should get three. Mythic should be ticketable for a custom item make of unlimited description length.

Hollis.Maeby
Character: Hollis Maeby

Post by Hollis.Maeby » August 31st, 2022, 9:42 pm

Looks like even when you use the describe function on a normal or exceptional painting you can only use the top box. Are the middle and bottom box locked unless it is an exceptional or master piece?

Kent

Post by Kent » August 31st, 2022, 11:08 pm

Hollis.Maeby wrote: August 31st, 2022, 9:42 pm Looks like even when you use the describe function on a normal or exceptional painting you can only use the top box. Are the middle and bottom box locked unless it is an exceptional or master piece?
I have masterpiece painting (no big deal) I will test this later and let you know.

Nedoral
Character: Matteo Ponz (deceased)

Post by Nedoral » September 7th, 2022, 10:01 am

Kent wrote: August 31st, 2022, 6:26 pm Quality should lock the descriptions. Regular or below should get no description. Exceptional should get one description box. Extraordinary should get two description boxes. Masterpiece should get three. Mythic should be ticketable for a custom item make of unlimited description length.
I understand why you're proposing this, but considering how each painting difficulty is currently coded, no large painting or mural would ever reach even exceptional level: with 120% skill, it'd still be a 95% chance to just craft a regular one, with no chance of a higher tier.

Kent

Post by Kent » September 8th, 2022, 11:13 pm

Nedoral wrote: September 7th, 2022, 10:01 am

I understand why you're proposing this, but considering how each painting difficulty is currently coded, no large painting or mural would ever reach even exceptional level: with 120% skill, it'd still be a 95% chance to just craft a regular one, with no chance of a higher tier.
With specialization and determined crafting(determined crafting meaning the same level of determination that goes into, say, making a masterpiece sword or firearm etc), it's quite achievable. My one PC who is an artisan has cranked out a few decent quality large paintings; it just takes more resources. While I would posit that it could use a little adjustment to make it easier. Ashford would be perfect to have input on the numbers here because he is a big brain genius when it comes to craft math BUT my gut feeling and feeling from playing an artisan(specialized) is that, its aite.