Aunty's Guide to Happy Discussion

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
Verange
Character: Yuri Mustolov

Aunty's Guide to Happy Discussion

Post by Verange » December 3rd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Hello, you all fantastic people!

Because there have been so many angry comments and discussions on Discord it is time that we took a moment to breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out and then be happy! All this mean talk is making Aunty Verange very sad. This sadness must stop! It's all fun and games, why must people be upset and sad?

Here Aunty Verange lovingly teaches ya'll little crickets to be caring, sensitive, thoughtful, respectful and just generally nice to each other while talking in OOC channels such as Discord.

Let's begin!

1. Be nice to new players

New players might not understand this shard or have a different idea than you about it. You should give them some mercy even if they suggest things that seem outrageous, be it whatever.

2. Listen and be understanding

Don't be angry and crude, but try to see the point of view the other player is approaching from! Don't just straight out tell them to go F themselves, but try to be constructive.

YES: "I disagree with your opinion, but I think that..."
NO: "You're so dumb lol"

3. Avoid negative words - instead use positive words in a negative form

YES: "I think you might misunderstand."
NO: "You really don't get it, you effin imbecile?"

4. Say the magic word: Sorry

You can use sorry in many ways. I'm sorry to disagree, I'm sorry to interrupt, I'm sorry but I think that... even if you weren't really sorry you can still lie to people to make them feel more secure!

5. Think before you speak

You can always think before you say something. Is it really worth it, or are you just making yourself look like a moron?

6. Don't interrupt people

You should wait to hear the full explanation behind someone's statement before going nuts on it.
7. Cool off

Are you feeling angry over things said in the chat? It's time to do the most responsible and adult thing possible: leave the keyboard for a while and let yourself just laugh at it. Also if the irritating conversationalist did something against the rules, snitch them to staff.

8. Respond rationally rather than emotionally

While you are cooling off you can stop to think about the matter at hand. What's the thing that really bothers you about it? Is it rational at all? Irrational rage may be fun, but it will never solve things!

9. Think about why the argument has turned into an argument at all

When conversations in public channels escalate they usually do it with the force of a great typhoon. You should stop for a moment and wonder why the thing even is being argued about, again?

10. Remember that you don't have to prove yourself

When it comes to flamey RPG OOC chats on a Discord channel, nobody is the winner. Anyone participating is already a loser.

11. Learn to disagree and find the common ground

Most if not all arguments can be found solid common ground on. We all just want to RP here, but people may have different ways to go about it in mind.

12. Is there a deeper problem to the underlying issue?

Is it the same jerk again? If the argument is repetitive, or always happens with the same people, perhaps there is something beneath the surface. You should consider what it might be and try to be constructional about it.

13. Lastly and most importantly: snitch to staff

Good behaviour in OOC chats is required per shard rules. If someone is not doing that, snitch to the staff. They absolutely love dealing with arguments between players, and want to mend whatever bad blood there may be between them through meticulous counseling.

OOPS! DID YOU GET MAD ANYWAYS?

Remember to take a breather and take a look at this video of funny cats and relax. Don't go to the chat and argue.
NOBODY IS THE WINNER!
You can also post your own favorite cat videos below to vent your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmu0LtcI6Y
Last edited by Verange on July 7th, 2022, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Re: Aunty's Guide to Happy Discussion

Post by silvrfist » December 3rd, 2018, 6:29 pm

+1 for the Pussy cat