elephant in the room

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
Circus Tony
Character: ???

Re: elephant in the room

Post by Circus Tony » December 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

I think the problem here is a matter of perspective.

Party A (We can call them victim party) doesn't see what Party B (We can call them offender party) has been contributing to the overall shared narrative, and conclusions are jumped to about motive, rules, metagaming, and so on.

Both parties can be reading this insisting they are Party A, evidenced by replies in this thread. There's the RP you see, and the RP you don't.

Trusting your fellow players is going to be much easier than speculating on method and motive. Trust the staff to course correct when this fails.

Hel
Character: Emma Averesch

Post by Hel » December 3rd, 2018, 4:38 pm

I'm going to be quick because my availability is limited at the moment. I hope that no one feels as though their concerns are just being dismissed in the haste.

I think the majority of players are trying to find their footing with new characters who have formed organizations they hoped would help to give their characters and roleplay direction. If you haven't read the lore, I suggest you do so. If your understanding of the world of Requiem feels lacking, I suggest you ask questions. I have roleplayed with the different player-led organizations that exist currently in Act V, and I can tell you that in the only scenario that is in keeping with the way of the world, all parties die. These present organizations most likely sooner even than those characters independent from them. Everyone dies.

I understand having a new character, a new organization, and new goals that you feel like never have the time to be realized for what you had intended due to meeting opposition within the story can be disappointing. As roleplayers, particularly as roleplayers of Requiem, it's invaluable to be flexible and to be resilient. Requiem is a survival horror game, but I don't think it's the characters themselves we should ever concern ourselves with too much when it comes to surviving. In the story of survival, we see how characters' progress and actions, however short-lived, may carry in the story to come.

On the subjects of getting KOed in PvP and stealthing responsibly, yes, of course, I think the roleplay should always be at the forefront of people's minds. I think stealing is best when done with the victim online and even present. Drylooting would be pretty sketchy, but ultimately, it comes back to the roleplay behind it. Is it reasonable? Does it suit the story and the characters? If it does, then it doesn't matter. Let there be stealing, no matter the cost, because again, roleplay should always be at the forefront of people's minds.

Finally, Permadeath. Please don't be afraid to let your characters die, and please don't be afraid to have your characters end the lives of others. What gives a life the most meaning can easily be the end of it. Like I said before, parts of your character survive your character's death. That's all that really survives Requiem. It's another page in a chapter that is the story of Requiem. There is so much more roleplay that is going on than people may see from the outset. I understand that it's difficult to cope with the loss of a character and their storylines when you feel it is premature, especially if you are not used to games with permadeath systems.

Please don't be discouraged. Pick yourself up and start again. Build something even better.

I have read all of the witch hunters' posts, I have witnessed and engaged in roleplay with them in game. What they're doing is great. It's brutal, but it's great. It's true to the story and heart of Requiem. It's fear turned to purpose and purpose turned to blood. When you're at the other side of the blade, it might not feel nice at first, but remember the story. Remember why magic is feared and aggressively monitored, stifled, and controlled. Hell, remember why most mages choose to mage in the first place. It's all about power. What makes it so powerful? The unknown, misunderstood, and misused should be horrifying and drive at least some extremists to act out.

Thank your "villains," guys. They're the ones making the biggest impact in your story with you. If your character is not somebody's villain, frankly, they haven't gotten out enough and probably should be taking more of a stance on the condition of the world. It's the apocalypse after all.

Justin Richards
Character: Justin Richards

Post by Justin Richards » December 9th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Stealthed up, placed traps around the house, and lockpicked the door? That is awesome.

Macroing isn't a thing here.

I'd feel honoured if a group went through that effort to get me.

Have a good cover story, carry extra non-magical books, build a library or something. Get a combat skill for fighting at Aiwella.

Get revenge. Make your next char a witch-hunter-hunter.

Having less overall skill and animus is certainly annoying. I do have to say it is not guaranteed these witch hunters used all beta chars to accomplish their current builds. Many skills are easy to grow without animus now, and you may be surprised how dedicated some players are, especially this early on after that long break between beta and now.

There are more places to hunt besides Aiwella. Pm me I'll straight out tell you if you would like.

I hope y'all stay! :)