Non-lethal options of subduing foes

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Non-lethal options of subduing foes

Post by Hagbard » February 26th, 2021, 9:27 am

Hi there!
Based on some discussions we had in Discord today, I thought we could come together and discuss means of restraining people after knockout, and actions we can take as alternatives to permadeath, especially when it comes to mages.

The discussion started about how to disarm mages, so I will focus primarily on that. I hope you'll forgive me, and understand that this is not a hate tirade against mages. I myself plan on playing one.

The Situation;
Currently, if you apprehend a mage and knock them out, there is nothing you can do to deprive them of spellcasting ability despite killing them. Confiscating their spellbook won't stop them, and this is fine. I think we all appreciate the new more free way of casting.

Suggestions

Anti-Magic Brand
Can use on other players when knocked out, or if they accept a prompt to let themselves be branded.
With a branding iron, you can brand a knocked out character with certain arcane symbols that prevent them from channeling magic for a duration of the time it takes to heal the scar. How long ? Not decided.
Maybe make it possible to be treated with Allopathy or an alchemical potion to shorten the duration?

Mouth Gag
Can use on other players when knocked out, or if they accept a prompt to let themselves be bound.
Item that you can use on another character to prevent them from speaking until it is taken off. If their hands are not bound, they can take it off themselves maybe?

Tongue Mutilation
Severe option, cut off someones tongue to prevent them from speaking, allowing only emotes. Blocks people from vocal casting. Option for regrowth using certain alchemical potions?

Anti-Magic Shackles/Collar ( silver? )
Can use on other players when knocked out, or if they accept a prompt to let themselves be bound.
When used on a player, prevents them from casting magic until removed.
Stole this idea from Divinity Original Sin 2.

Hand Bindings
Character is unable to equip anything into their hands, and unable to interact with their paperdoll while active ( cant remove or add any equipment to themselves).
Maybe allow for an attempt to escape using dexterity, once every 10 minutes?

Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Re: Non-lethal options of subduing foes

Post by Controll » February 26th, 2021, 10:14 am

These are good suggestions. Personally I think it should be enough if there was a way to disarm a mage from their spellcasting ability for 5-15 minutes, just enough to get some RP done after someone wakes up from KO - or perhaps until they visit a Sanctuary area again or something like that. Just like you can disarm an archer by taking their bow or a swordsman by taking their sword. Not needing a spellbook to cast spells is definitely a good change.

Regarding your suggestions...

Anti-Magic Brand / Tongue Mutilation
Both of these might be too hard to recover from, and they will essentially ruin a mage character until they are recovered from - especially the tongue mutilation might easily become too easy to use as a punishment sort of thing since it is not as final as death, but still a heavy consequence. A warror can always go to town and buy a new sword, but getting a new tongue would probably be too much harder. A ward of some sort would work well if it automaticly faded after some time.

Mouth Gag
I like the idea of mouth gags. Only downside I see is that the point of disarming someone is to get to RP with them - if you gag them it'll be quite one-sided and hard to communicate with them. Then again it's the most practical and probably easiest to do out of these options.

Anti-Magic Shackles/Collar ( silver? )
Someone said there is a rope mechanic in game already, so this would probably be good. It would allow for roleplay without hindering the ability to speak. The indefinitive length of being restrained with such could be both a perk and a con; someone could save their friend from such shackles, but then again if there's no saviour the duration will be entirely up to the imprisoner.

Hand Bindings
This is cool, but do current rope mechanics cover this?

Other ideas:
A Disorientation Injection
An injection that may only be used on someone who is knocked out, it could slur the speech of its receiver and perhaps even force them into a walk-only state for some minutes? Drug 'em up!

Anti-Magic Barrier
Someone else suggested this in Discord but it would be cool if you could somehow make small zones that one cannot cast spells in, however these zones would have to be so small that they cannot be abused in PvP. It could even be tied to the Arcane Resistance skill.

Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Re: Non-lethal options of subduing foes

Post by Hagbard » February 26th, 2021, 11:06 am

Good suggestions and feedback Controll!

I wasn't aware of the rope implementation, I've no idea how it works, but if it prevents spellcasting when you're bound ( due to blocking the somatic component), that would certainly be good!