Application: Ashford Reed

Forum used for archiving approved character applications.
Ashford
Character: Ashford Reed

Application: Ashford Reed

Post by Ashford » March 2nd, 2021, 2:06 pm

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:

No

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:

20+ years of different strict RP UO shards

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?

I always come back for the unique experience of UO RP. I look forward to everyone’s character development and the overall plot of the shard’s story.

What will your character’s name be?:

Ashford Reed

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:

Ashford is a man in his mid 30’s, physically fit and lean from years of hard labor. He stands at 5”11 at 185lbs. He wears a short beard or clean shaven depending on the time he’s had to take care of himself. He has a quiet demeanor but lights up when a discussion he finds interest in begins.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

Tradesmen looking for work and looking to make his mark somewhere.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):

Ashford’s family have all long since passed, he’s traveled between multiple settlements on the outskirts around Athaerun most of his life finding work where he can. He’s been a successful wood worker and smith.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:

You have finally arrived at your destination; the Rumbling Pass train-yards. Before you stands a massive outpost, looking to have been erected within the past few years, of which is patrolled by numerous Legionnaires and Church Templar. The outpost guards the only viable entrance to the recently quarantined First Province; the home of Tor, the fallen capital of the Republic. Sitting at the foot of the massive mountain range that effectively contains the First Province within, the outpost serves as the last obstacle you must overcome before entering the quarantined territory.
You and others like you assemble outside of the palisades of the outpost, awaiting the opportunity to speak your case to the presiding Legion officiant who is processing admittance to the Province. Behind him, a passenger train, a marvel of technological advancement, sits idling on its’ tracks, dozens of persons filling it’s numerous passenger cars. A true rarity within the Republic, you can hardly believe your eyes (and ears) as the locomotive releases a massive plume of steam from its’ smokestack. You overhear many a bewildered citizen around you gossip as to how the only truly safe way into the Province is now by rail, for the Rumbling Pass’ mountains are nigh impassible and miles long, with the only safe navigable tunnels being those traveled in the safety of locomotives and rail-cars. You shudder for a moment, pondering how many forsaken souls attempted to flee the cloistered Province through the Pass’ winding, dark tunnels, hordes of Afflicted upon their heels, only to be cut down in the pitch-black darkness.
It strikes you as peculiar that so much effort has been made in securing a means of logistical supply and personnel transportation into the fallen First Province. You’ve heard rumors before of Quarantine Zones; entire Municipalities and even Territories being cut-off from access due to the blight of the Torment and the over-abundance of the walking dead – but in most instances, no one is ever trying to get into to those forsaken places. Yet here, mere miles from the ruins of Tor, masses congregate in order to make their way into the First Province Quarantine Zone. If you hadn’t known any better, the entire scene – the Outpost, the mass of military personnel, the throngs of citizens and the hissing locomotive – resembles more of an evacuation rather than a one-way ticket into anarchy and lawlessness. As you make your way closer to the train-yard outpost, you can’t help but recall all of the wild and crazy stories concerning all manners of rumors about the First Province since it’s fall two years ago. Some say that the treasures awaiting the bold are beyond measure – others swear that Salvation and Ascension is guaranteed for those who would follow their Faith and help reclaim the First Coast.
Where the truth lies, you’ve no idea – you only know that you’re here, at the precipice of it all, and your destination is within reach.
You watch, somewhat defeated, as but a scant few of the hundreds that approach the outpost officiant, who stands at the outer gates of the outpost flanked by a few heavily armored Legionnaires, are actually allowed to pass through the man-door and into the outpost and train-yards proper. You see some swarthy fellows slip pieces of gold to the officiant, while others plead their cases and rationale as to why they should be allowed to enter the recently fallen territory. Some appear to provide some sort of paperwork to the officiant, flashing official looking papers from a Faction or influential Prelacy house, who promptly waves them through. While watching and eavesdropping, you manage to overhear the well-rehearsed speech the officiant provides to those whom don’t provide paperwork or grease his palm, the words monotone and nasally.
“By decree of the Venerated Church, the First Province is a mortal health hazard, and as such, is quarantined under Article Eighteen of the Republic Treatise of Health Act of 1320. Citizens who do not possess a Quarantine Visa issued by one of the recognized Factions of the Republic are considered non-essential to the reclamation of the First Province. Under Article Eighteen, non-essentials seeking entry into an official quarantine zone must petition for entry into a said zone, and state just cause for the issuing of a Quarantine Visa by the perimeter authority.”
The officiant snorts in disdain, then adds the last line to the rehearsed monologue:
“State your business and make it quick, citizen; we’ve enough bodies in there to keep us busy for years without adding yours to the pile, and those VIC are stirring up problems something fierce as of late.”
You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It is well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions or Prelacy Families of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery – although his price may be hefty. However, despite it all, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant without resorting to subterfuge or immorality. Gathering your wits, you step forward towards the officiant, and make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.

Ashford stood in line nervously studying those in front of him and the Legion officiant. Looking over the passenger train calmed him somewhat as it brought a welcome distraction of puzzling out the materials and knowledge of how such a thing could come to be and how many a man it took to accomplish such a thing.

When it comes his turn, he straightens up and musters some confidence looking the officiant in the eyes as he speaks. "Name's Ashford, I heard of the reclamation effort talks and wanted to lend aid where I could. I've worked with lumber an' metal since I was a wee one. I can help raise a house, fashion parts, and mend quite a few things if ye'd let me. I ran across a group of merchants on the road heading this way I could throw in with to produce some basic equipment and provisions."

He is quiet for a moment before admitting "I haven't sought no document, but I wish to petition for entry." His next words stammer slightly "I am truly good with a hammer, I wouldn't disappoint none nor be considered non-essential. I can pull my weight, I swear it." He looks to the officiant with hope.

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: Application: Ashford Reed

Post by Coty » March 2nd, 2021, 6:51 pm

We will need to know a little bit more about your backstory before we can accept you. Please expand on it a bit with a few more details about the character's past.

Ashford
Character: Ashford Reed

Post by Ashford » March 2nd, 2021, 7:59 pm

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

He’s a tradesman looking for work and to make his mark somewhere. Most recently he offered aid to a caravan passing through. The leader took note of his skill and offered him a place with the group. Though he had initially declined and they departed, he found the offer stuck to the back of his mind. Having little to lose and any ties keeping him in place no longer existed he gathered his things and hoped the offer yet remained.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):

Ashford’s family have all long since passed, a topic he does not easily share with others. To keep busy he’s traveled between multiple settlements on the outskirts around Athaerun most of his life finding work where he can. He’s become a successful wood worker and smith, finding comfort in the manual labor required of the skill.

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Post by Coty » March 3rd, 2021, 11:24 am

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!

The officiant stares at you for a long moment, his eyes thinning as he seems to attempt to find the sum of you. He breaks the stare with a sigh, pulling a paper from under the desk and begins to fill it out. "Must be truly desperate for work to come here." He says idly as he moves to stamp the piece of parchment before him. "I hope you find it on the other side and I hope it's worth it." He hands you your visa and sends you on your way.