Deadly patrols at night

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Voidwards
Character: Sidroth Mortigor

Deadly patrols at night

Post by Voidwards » March 26th, 2021, 4:43 am

I'd like to suggest adding some kind of patroling mobs that traverse across far pieces of wilderness. They may have even 50% mortality, not having any particularly good loot at them while being quite strong - the aim here would be to keep the players on their toes during the night while being away from the main mob clusters (i.e. Aiwella Monastery, swamps etc.). Let's take the Fel Reaver from WoW as an example. You hear/see him, you RUN.

It could be a mutated-cryptid animal, an assassin, a spirit of a PD'd character, a bunch of hooded riders, whatever.
NONE SHALL SEE REDEMPTION

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Re: Deadly patrols at night

Post by silvrfist » March 26th, 2021, 5:17 am

Everdark Part II ?

I can see the point of making Requiem darkness a more dangerous place but we can examine a few points

1) there is already darkness debuffs that affects your stats and now it is DARK, even worse when you enter dungeons.
2) Increased in Red mobs in hunting ground due to darkness.
3) There is a afflicted Torment that appears at night, but people just run around it now. ( Easily with sprint). So area-based spawning is easily overcome.
4) If it is player location based, then it makes gathering hard for crafter but a boom for Warriors as they will be needed by crafters for protection.
5) Playtime for players during weekdays are short, if their time meets with night time then they are in a disadvantage. ( Not everyone has 4 ~ 6 hours to play)

Voidwards
Character: Sidroth Mortigor

Post by Voidwards » March 26th, 2021, 9:16 am

1) there is already darkness debuffs that affects your stats and now it is DARK, even worse when you enter dungeons.
Yes, but they don't work on the atmosphere-building level. They just influence the mechanical side of things. The purpose of my suggestion is to add to the tension, the subjective sense of danger.
2) Increased in Red mobs in hunting ground due to darkness.
That's true as well - that's why the suggestion targets the areas inbetween the hunting points. The "safe spots" filled with birds and does, which may be visited briefly by a deadly foe.
3) There is a afflicted Torment that appears at night, but people just run around it now. ( Easily with sprint). So area-based spawning is easily overcome.
Well, that's the point of my suggestion. You should be able to run away from the dangerous, patrolling Dark Horsemen, Chupacabra or whatever (even without [sprint]). Just knowing, that you might encounter such entity won't allow you to lower your guard. Again - it's an atmosphere-building thing, simple play on one's anxiety.
4) If it is player location based, then it makes gathering hard for crafter but a boom for Warriors as they will be needed by crafters for protection.
I suggest that they shouldn't be player location based. They (patrolling enemies, such ach WoW's Stitches or Fel Reaver) should walk between point A and B (or have a long, long route in general)). Will it make life different for gatherers? Yes, but as I said in point 3), those enemies should be rather easy to run from, as long as you're not a total sleepyhead. Warriors shouldn't be able to kill the monster.
5) Playtime for players during weekdays are short, if their time meets with night time then they are in a disadvantage. ( Not everyone has 4 ~ 6 hours to play)
Then perhaps those monsters should patrol the same route both at day and at night? :) Again: they should be avoidable if you react fast enough.
NONE SHALL SEE REDEMPTION

Domitian
Character: Tacitus Etiam

Post by Domitian » March 26th, 2021, 11:58 am

As a crafter/gatherer and lower level fighter (~30-40 points that I'll eventually need to drop), add me to the "the game doesnt need to be harder" list. I get the attraction for you combat-focused characters, but between dark debuff and normal daytime mobs that will already crush me, I dont think more challenge on that front is needed. I'm sure things look easy from 90+ combat skill perhaps though.

Silvrfist makes a good point too - if you implemented this and my 1-2hr a night playtime happened to be during in-game night, it is basically just saying I can't do anything outside of town that day, and that isnt very fun gameplay-wise.