Mortality

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Drucilla
Character: Mirana

Mortality

Post by Drucilla » April 1st, 2021, 1:59 pm

So, I think the mortality timer is a bit too short. I've never had more than 1 mortality at any given time and it seems like it usually falls off by the end of the day. Personally, I think somewhere between 4 to 7 days would be a better range for mortality to linger, otherwise a person's mortality would never build up. Just a thought!

Wyrmlance
Character: Svatomir Varga

Re: Mortality

Post by Wyrmlance » April 1st, 2021, 2:03 pm

Agreed. Not much more I can say to it!

Mortality as it is, is not very threatening. In the past, the timer was ridiculously long, but now it is just way too short. Something between 4 and 7 days like suggested should be a fairly sweet spot!

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » April 1st, 2021, 2:05 pm

I agree with this. After PDing a player and gaining mort, i was a little bit nervous. By the time i made and ate supper IRL, it was already gone. Where's the fun in that???

Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Post by Hagbard » April 1st, 2021, 2:34 pm

it's 5 hours of ingame time, which i think is quite a lot. Maybe increase to 10, if you REALLY think its too short.

The Broken Sword
Character: Alaric

Post by The Broken Sword » April 1st, 2021, 5:09 pm

I would have to agree with the sentiment in this post. Mortality has a rediculously short duration for something that is meant to provide a sense of danger. I'd bump it to 24 hours at the very least.

Dagger
Character: Cecilia Wright

Post by Dagger » April 1st, 2021, 5:42 pm

Five hours of in game time to remove one point of mortality makes the threat of it negligible, as Kent said with his post. I know finding the time to spend five hours in game can feel like a lot, so I understand what you mean, Hagbard, but if you think of it as having a character be present in game for a window of opportunity that lasts just five hours and serves as some kind of spiritually punitive danger period, it's not long at all.

So I agree with Drucilla and Wyrmlance. Four to seven days is a better decay rate for each mortality point and allows for them to stack for an increased threat. The Broken Sword brought up increasing the decay rate to 24 hours of in game time at the very least, which I think is great because it's also stressing the importance of making time spent in game necessary to work off the mortality points. Previously, I had noticed that some characters would stop being in game if they had any active mortality points against them, and the players would wait until whatever out of game period of time had passed before logging in again. That's no fun for anyone.

Another consideration is to give more mortality points for each permadeath. So if John Smith kills Jane Doe, John Smith doesn't get just one measly mortality point that just goes away in five hours. Instead, John Smith gets five mortality points - or even ten! Let the threat linger. I feel like the inherent danger of murdering another character should be greater than the threat of them having been knocked out by a locust, for example. I'm pretty sure that scaling of mortality points doled out under different circumstances is how the system worked previously too.

Malik Azer
Character: Malik Azer

Post by Malik Azer » April 1st, 2021, 6:16 pm

24h sounds sexy, perhaps more. In either way 5h is way too low.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » April 1st, 2021, 8:19 pm

I'm inclined to agree with increased mortality rating for PDing someone as currently if they only receive one mortality, it's almost not even worth counting as a penalty for many players.

In regards to PvM, I like what I heard from Sic about plans for higher-risk dungeons that will potentially inflict more mortality points and come with greater rewards. I also agree with the concept of having easier and lower risk content to allow for a broader player base that is not just focused on the Hardcore crowd - extra population is good!

And just to point newer players to how Mortality/PermaDeath works in case they want to contribute to the discussion: https://www.13thrones.com/wiki/doku.php ... _and_death

Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » April 1st, 2021, 10:08 pm

Instead of changing it around to last longer what about gaining the ability to set a temporary mortality level which gives a bonus to infusion earned through combat. If people want to play ultra omega hardcore it's a button tap away.