Is raging worth right now?

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Furio
Character: Furio

Is raging worth right now?

Post by Furio » May 26th, 2021, 1:46 am

Hello

Currently Rage is pretty much the only skill that actually makes you wonder if you should be using or not, well, at least I have been. And what has been making me question it currently is the DCI penalty and the HP/Stamina/Mana regen.

After asking on the help channel if the DCI actually works like it does on OSI (and it does), I searched on the internet how it actually works and I found this: https://www.uoguide.com/Defense_Chance_Increase.

To make the story short, if my character fought someone exactly like himself, the one with rage would hit 50% harder but the one without rage would hit A LOT more often (check the link for actual numbers, please) and the fact he'd hit so much more often would actually make up for the extra damage the rage version would actually do. And lets remember here that you are using about 100 points in skill, spending animus in perks to make it viable and it still could be considered not worth using. And I'm not even considering the fact that the chance to be hit increase works to all enemies attacking you at the same time, which makes fighting against many oponentes something you might not want to do while using rage.

Sure, rage will also increase your HP and chance to crit if you buy the perks, but the time of effect doesn't really last for long and if I miss two hits (which lets face it, happens quite often even using intimdating strike), you'll lose it all and not be able to recover stamina, hp and mana putting you in a quite complicated situation in combat.

Just to wrap it all, I believe that the DCI penalty and halting regen are too harsh, making the investment on the skill not worth it currently. My suggestion is to remove both penalties, in the very least the DCI penalty (maybe through a perk to remove it completly) to make us stop feeling that a skill that you are spending the skillpoints and animus are not benefiting us. (If I'm not wrong, rage is the only skill currently that gives actual penalties).

Lucien
Character: Lucien

Re: Is raging worth right now?

Post by Lucien » May 26th, 2021, 3:21 am

I also feel that after the changes the penalties outweigh the benefits. I share the sentiment that the DCI penalty and halting regen are too harsh.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Post by silvrfist » May 26th, 2021, 5:19 am

Ive been a user since beginning and although I understand people feedback on the skill previously, Rage needs a bit tuning back to previous for it to be useful.

HP and Crit chances looks nice but in actual fact doesnt last long enough to note any significant impact. As fast as I get my rage up, it is also the same when I miss and have all my regen halted. Almost 50-50 percentage of the time.

Prejudicial Slaughter kinda lost it purpose , the HP Stamina regain from it is lesser then the amount you kill enemy from Rage. Prejudicial Slaughter only gives 15 pts back which most people dont bother timing and executing it as last hit. If there can be other benefits that tag along it, people will start using it.

Losing both 50% damage and have a -30% DCI is not offset by much. If one were to argue, if we get to defend ourselves lesser then Rage should give a HCI% boost to user.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » May 26th, 2021, 9:00 am

Just to be clear, assuming a 50/50 hit chance between two opponents, 30% DCI penalty translates to 15% extra chance to be hit (from 50% to 65%). Significant but not actually that big of a deal. Keep in mind that HCI/DCI is weird and is actually stronger or weaker depending on the actual hit chance, being at equilibrium at 50%.

Anyways, there are similar penalties for Polearms at one-tile range - both -30% DCI and HCI - and firearms suffer from a -75% HCI penalty at one-tile range, though I will acknowledge that those are more situational than Rage.

Furio
Character: Furio

Post by Furio » May 26th, 2021, 9:13 am

Mewokin, I think the numbers you just said are different than the ones you can find in the link

Lans
Character: Koss Brynd, Lugh Arawn, Lans Tan'tare (dead)

Post by Lans » May 26th, 2021, 10:00 am

The answer is 'no'. I only keep this skill in hopes that it will get revisited and adjusted as well as a few of the quirks about it that were always problematic getting ironed out, but the majority of the time I won't even use rage and I find "I do far better without it with how it is in the present format" -- and that's at 113% 2H Tactics + Intimidating strike where I still whiff like mad against NPCs.

PENALTIES: -30 DCI (More than +15% chance to help foes hit you, this also impacts parrying as I recall). Stifling for 5s of your regens quite regularly 'mid-combat'; due to how often the see-saw effect of accuracy happens for a fighter. +10% critical if/when berserking to every foe you have. (Meaning if its 2+ you're helping the enemy more than helping yourself). Multiple ragers can't target the same foe, so you are often denied skill or in Party-Conflict if another rager is present.

BENEFITS: Recovery upon defeating a foe; if you didn't whiff to non-raging at 5% foe HP; it happens a lot. +50% Damage at 100% Raging but this is at 10% total raging or 120% skill. +25% HP cap; procs about 3/10 times when it should be 10/10 upon enraged. Intimidating strike carries this entire tree.

Deeper Explanation of many Rage Plights below; I hope this helped folks that wanted more insight about the present state of the tree. I myself feel like one of few left on what we'd call a yacht with a hole in it.

The DCI Nuke Issue

In many servers if DCI is rare and you can have +30 DCI; you would be one of the strongest fighters 'just by virtue of this stat'; it is easily one of the if not 'the' most valuable PvP/PvM stat. The inverse is also true with being able to make you an absolutely terrible fighter if you go into the negatives; which still impacts you and even squishes any hope of good defenses.

Plenty of readers might think, "Well I'll just use a heavy offense to over-whelm my foe and kill them first". This was a great philosophy back in OSI; but with the grit system it is unlikely that +50% is helping you overwhelm anyone in a timely manner and that -30% DCI is more likely to get you killed by them long before you even land over 40% of your blows. Against other players I often find im missing 'so' often I also stam-nuke myself into oblivion and lose by laying there winded.

Random Pitfalls

As it stands there are other pit-falls in the rage tree that never ceased being such:

- Fury Fervor Tree only occasionally procs despite being meant to be guaranteed upon Enraged to add +HP% on raging and restore HP from it; meaning that's nearly 100 animus shot in the foot oftens; this is intensified by the "See-Saw" effect regularly dropping you in/out of rage because where this would of been 'The Redeemer' because at least the Temp-HP would be making you seem more padded it's lack of proccing prevents that and is intensified in hurt with its' non-proc in regular activation because of -DCI and -Regens.

- Furious Momentum works like a OSI charge, not like a 'straight line, dmg on impact [or parried]', meaning it will almost always time out and fail to proc with heavy weapons it'd really shine with. And this should of been the golden child of rage, sadly breathing new life into moves like Paralyzing blow to allow strong whacks.

- Confidence is great for getting HP back outside of fighters; but unless you're shielding then it's most likely to get canceled when even give foe slaps you for 3-5 damage even. again, awesome outside of combat to save grit.

- Prejudicial slaughter is only good for landing a +20% SSI upon execution which is mostly acceptable.

- berserking has become a strange duck where one might be better off just -- 'not' taking it, because +10% crit for your foes and -DCI means you're 'more likely' to be helping foes crit you than you are to land that +20% crit chance.

For PvP it tends to be the value of stats is as follows: DCI > HP > HCI > DEX > STR > STAMINA and plenty of folks might debate stamina > strength; but any skill penalizing the most valuable survival stat isn't doing the user 'favors' for it. Even for polearms/guns etc... just impacting the HCI alone would be penalty enough.