Let's Talk: Our Theocracy, Religion, and Fanaticism

General discussions concerning the world of Requiem and the community.
Glimmer
Character: Theo Hanlon

Let's Talk: Our Theocracy, Religion, and Fanaticism

Post by Glimmer » July 11th, 2023, 11:04 am

If you couldn't tell, I'm way into the background stuff at the moment. I'd like to discuss a great role play tool, our lovely Theocracy and religion!

As most of you know, Req's whole government and authority is a Theocracy, which means that the Church basically makes all the rules. Even with that being said it can be difficult to navigate the religious aspects of things, and how to decide what's acceptable and the "norm" versus the more fanatical aspects of it.

I'd like to put up a quick little TL;DR guide for the wiki going over some general examples so players can best decide how they'd like to approach the religious aspect for their characters. Keep in mind, you do not have to RP the religion side of things whatsoever if you choose to, but do be aware other characters and the world will respond to that depending on how it comes across in scenes.

I'd like to try to make categories for simplicity's sake since our HoW and lore is anything but. :lol: So any feedback on elements or ideas on these categories are more than welcome!

Fanaticism -
  • 13 lashes, done with a scourging whip. Can be done in private, but public demonstration is best.
  • May be more inclined to accept other forms of penance if done publicly and are not paying fines. Maybe?

Decusian Norms -
  • Confession
  • Blood Atonement, more medically and scientifically backed form of penance as removing the sinful blood/re-balancing humors.
  • 13 Lashes with a normal whip.
  • Some form of task/penance per Throne?

Agnostic -

• Catch-all category?
  • Maybe you believe in something but it belongs to your region/culture and is no longer recognized.
  • Maybe you're an atheist, but you realize the song and dance is expected of you.

Remember! You do not have to follow this or any other guide (outside of official lore/IG rulings) if you do not wish to. Your character can lump everything into fanaticism, and think its crazy... or you can invent your own take and nuances. My intent is to try to find a general baseline to ease into it all.

Thanks everyone!

Glimmer

Re: Let's Talk: Our Theocracy, Religion, and Fanaticism

Post by Glimmer » July 13th, 2023, 9:40 am

No one?

Glimmer

Post by Glimmer » July 13th, 2023, 10:14 am

Someone pointed out to me that they feel like I'm expecting players to get super indepth on this, but honestly I just want a general overview of how religion is accepted.

More simply, I want to learn everyone's lines and veils in regards to this topic. If that helps? ANY insight is welcome.

Jeremold
Character: Jeremold

Post by Jeremold » July 13th, 2023, 10:26 am

At the highest level of "Fanatic" punishment I would also add 'burning people alive' as that seems pretty commonplace for factions like the Inquisition.

Fines are mostly a Foundry faction tool of punishment, as they may or may not really care about the actual offences and really just are always looking to horde more currency.

Cutting out of tongues was a punishment doled out a few times from different factions, for prolific Anti-state people and magic users.

As far as day to day interactions, I find a lot of people are more religious, or make sure to not say anti-religious things, depending on which factions are currently present. It's generally not a good idea to engage in a theological debate of any type with fanatics, whereas a more peaceful religious group like some of the player-run mini-churches are quite open to having lively theological debates.

In my experience in game, discussion about the Sacred Eight virtues is generally commonplace and perfectly non-offensive, whereas discussing the details of Decus often leads to arguments or fights.

Hope this helps some how, I'm in for more discussion for sure.