Alistair Quinn

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
Quinn
Character: Quinn

Alistair Quinn

Post by Quinn » November 8th, 2018, 2:32 am

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when and what characters you previously played:
I believe I briefly played in Act 3 - my name was some sort of variation of Quinn. I have no more information unfortunately.

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience:
Apart from my brief spell on Requiem, I've also RPed in a range of MMOs and MUSHes for the last 15-20 years. This includes UO, EQ, DAOC, and some more recent games. I've MUSHed mainly on Blood of Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire MUSH).

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?
I enjoy the "worlds" that can be created in the UO engine, but I can't really deal with the min/maxing and storyless PvP that permeates most of the current UO community. I don't mind PvP in general, but I like for it to have a purpose. I also just enjoy good quality RP - most RP in modern games is fairly insipid because the game engines themselves are so limiting .. the world is essentially static.

I expect good quality RP, that isn't dominated by veteran cliques (see the MUSH I mentioned above), and that allows newer players to engage in meaningful ways in the storyline.

What will your character’s name be?:
Alistair Quinn

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and notable features:

Alistair (or Al to those close to him) is a tall muscular man of middle age - in his early 50s - with dark black hair flecked with white. His beard is a salt and pepper mix that covers most of the lower half of his face. His eyes are a dark blue, and the lines and wrinkles that surround them speak of hard years. He is slow to smile, but when he does it is a warm sight, despite a number of missing teeth. His body is scarred in places, some of them visible peeking out from his usual clothing. He moves like a man trained in the arts of war, but walks with a pronounced limp and is more likely to carry a pickax or shovel than a weapon. That said, anything can be a weapon in the right hands.

Briefly state your character’s intentions for entering the First Province:
Alistair has sought sponsorship from some of his old initiate colleagues in the Templars for passage through the First Province. He has unfinished business in Tor, at the scene of some of the atrocities he felt he has committed. He feels that he is growing old and must see to this business before he loses the ability to do so. But his 'official' cover is helping the resettlement with his years of crafting experience.

Briefly provide the pertinent details of your character’s history:

Alistair was born in Tor some twenty years before the outbreak of the Torment. The youngest son of a middle class family, Alistair was pushed towards the Church. Being tall and strong, he was chosen by the Templars to train to join their ranks. As an Initiate, Alistair showed great promise, and was ushered into a select group of boys to be given elite training. After successfully surviving the initiate stage, Alistair was ordained a Templar and assigned to a unit. He served for several years, impressing and winning over his superiors. With the outbreak of the Torment, everything changed. During the campaigns against the Resolve, both in Tor and the surrounding areas, Alistair committed many acts in the name of Decus that have haunted him ever since [more info to be developed through RP]. In a devastating skirmish for the Church, Alistair was wounded and found near-death by the Apothecaries. Through his inner strength the man survived, but was assessed as being near-useless to the Church. He was honourably discharged from his vow and, wracked with psychological trauma, he disappeared into the unrest wracking the region.

Over the next thirty years Alistair has ran from his past. He turned to the manual arts and hard labour - mining, logging and crafting fine goods - to help him atone for the guilty of sins that the Church's forgiveness could never quite assuage. He has lived the life of a loner, never marrying and not even considering children. His life, since leaving the Templars, has been unremarkable. He has been a man hiding in plain sight. The move to the First Province, the return to where he was and perhaps what he was, would seem utterly out of character to anyone who knew him even in passing.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:
Alistair looks at the official for a moment, weighing up his response. "Mhm, I'm here to help with the reconstruction." He gestures at the pickax and shovel strapped to his back. "Good with my hands."

The official seems unconvinced, and Alistair sighs reaches into a pouch on his belt and retrieves a folded paper. Upon it is the seal of the Templars, with the signature of a high-ranking official. The man himself and the visa he holds doesn't seem to quite add up. But the lowly official doesn't seem inclined to argue.

"Be careful, old timer," he says, "It's a bit wilder in there than you're used to."

Alistair grunts, but nods. "Thanks for the tip, son," before moving through the opening gate.

Sic
Aeolian Staff
Character: Isidor Abendroth

Re: Alistair Quinn

Post by Sic » November 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!