New Character Application - Ronan Hayes

Forum used for archiving approved character applications.
MisterAsa
Fresh Meat
Character: Ronan Hayes

New Character Application - Ronan Hayes

Post by MisterAsa » November 23rd, 2023, 4:25 am

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:
None

How did you hear about Requiem?
Recommended by a friend that plays

CHARACTER QUESTIONS
(Please note: Staff is looking for at least three lore references in your application when reviewing.)

What will your character’s name be?
Ronan Hayes

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:
25 years old. 5’7” 215 lbs. Stocky build. Light skinned, fair complexion. Light brown hair with a tint towards red, course beard is more dark ginger than brown. Blue eyes. Hands are callused and forearms have multiple but small burn scars.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

No family left and is finally free to do what he wants for the first time. Looking for a new start, or maybe it’s an escape, and to challenge himself, more about proving his worth to himself than to others.

Please provide a few short paragraphs with pertinent details or notable qualities of your character’s history. This does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret:

Born 1323 the 5th and final child of my parents. Father was a Blacksmith, Mother handled the trade and sale of the finished product. Both devoted to a simple quiet life in Yultac. Dad’s family descended from a line of smiths that got their start back before the Galehorn Mine dried up. He was the last of his family to cling to his homeland, the others having moved on years before I was born. Mom had a sister, but she was taken during the Purge of the Witchkin. My siblings and I were brought up to help around the forge and shop, keep our noses clean and out of other’s affairs, and be respectful of The Holy Decusian Church.

It all changed in 1333 when my 3 middle brothers all volunteered as Colonists for the End of the World. They thought they’d be securing a new homestead for themselves in this land of opportunity they were promised. They never returned from MacArthur's Gate.

I picked up more and more responsibility and work around the forge to keep up with the sudden loss of labor but things were stable in our home for another decade. In winter 1346 my father and eldest brother were attacked and killed by a group of refugees turned bandits from Galehorn Mine while making a delivery. The loss of her husband and firstborn child sent mother into a depression that finally claimed her life in the winter of 1347.

Unable to keep up the forge on my own, and not wanting to even try with the memories of all the family I have lost haunting the place, I set out to find a new home and didn’t look back. For the first time there is nothing holding me here. I’m not tied down to the family business, or a sick mother. I feel a bit guilty but also excited to think that I am finally free to find out who I am instead of being defined by my role in family. It’s time to make a name for myself.

“State your business and make it quick, citizen; we’ve enough bodies in there to keep us busy for years without adding yours to the pile, and those VIC are stirring up problems something fierce as of late.”

It’s been months since I left what had once been my home in search of something I couldn’t even explain. Finally, after all this time I was so close to finding my purpose. Smile for the man, make a good impression I think as I step forward.

“Greetings, friend! I was told they are in need of skilled tradesmen to help with the effort of retaking the capitol.” I pull a sheet of parchment from my bag, the creases worn smooth from my constant handling. It declares a call to action for skilled tradesmen, report to the First Province.

The officiant eyes it warily. “You’ve got the whole of Vitaveus to choose from and you decided on the First Province?” He looks me up and down. “You look like you’ve had an easy life to me. No holes in your boots, your skin ain’t tight from hunger so you’re not desperate. Not a soldier either are you. First Province is no place for you.” He dismisses me without a second thought. “Move along. NEXT!”

I stand there refusing to believe my journey stops here. After months of traveling aimlessly that flyer had lit a beacon inside me guiding me to the west. Finally, somewhere I could do some good AND prove myself. After coming so far it couldn’t end like this, dismissed out of hand.

The officiant is already looking past me to the next person in line.

“Please.” I say, my voice losing its earlier cheer. The wear of months of caring for a sick mother and a year of not mourning the loss of my father and brother finally showing through the cracks as my posture shifts into a defeated slump. “There is nothing for me here. All I have is my smithing. I NEED to go. I need to serve a purpose, I need to… I need to GO!”

The sudden change in tone and attitude draws his attention back to me. “That eager to give your life up are you?” He holds my eyes reevaluating and spits on the ground in disgust. “Right you are, sir. Skilled Tradesmen needed, etc. etc.” He waves me through. “Decus go with you.” He says a bit softer and kinder before dismissing me entirely and turning his back to me, resuming his duties with the same nasal and monotone voice. ““By decree of the Venerated Church, the First Province…”

His voice fades as I move towards the train and my future.

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: New Character Application - Ronan Hayes

Post by Coty » November 23rd, 2023, 10:31 am

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!