Recipes and Retaining Knowledge

Bugs & Suggestions board archives from Act V forums.
SeminoleScam
Character: TBD

Recipes and Retaining Knowledge

Post by SeminoleScam » December 13th, 2018, 9:20 pm

I find the recipe system currently to be a bit odd in design. You find a schematic to teach you how to make plate gloves, but only allows a single use. You than make the item, and then forget the process completely and destroy the schematic. I know others have made some comments in regards to this so I figured I'd try my idea at maybe a solution while still keeping the game play loop elements wanted:

Since you need world lore to discover a recipe, perhaps making it work something akin to magic linguistics does for learning power words. When you double click both power words and schematics, you consume the deed/item and learn it. Power words dont seem to go away (not sure since I haven't done magery yet), and with schematics they have uses. Power words seem to only be learned every X amount of points in Arcane Linguistics, limiting how many you can learn. Perhaps the same can and should be done with World Lore when it comes to us crafters.

So lets say a crafter like myself who has Mining, Tinkering and Blacksmithing; if I take World Lore to 100 skills, I could permanently learn X schematics I've discovered from adventuring and collecting them. By single clicking a schematic it gives me the option to "commit to memory" learning it permanently, or "work from schematic" which means I only get the uses out of it. This way it still allows for the loop, perhaps the crafter may not be able to remember and craft all the items in the game, but may be able to specialize their knowledge and also Rp that.

So if Cirdan wishes to focus on working swords from metal, he can both Rply reflect that and not have to do an awkward act of "I've made 5 katana, now completely forgot how to do it!" and is now also a victim of RNG with monsters and loot tables, and I've no doubt the amount of schematics number well into the hundreds.

SeminoleScam

Re: Recipes and Retaining Knowledge

Post by SeminoleScam » December 13th, 2018, 9:26 pm

So maybe at like 100 world lore you could commit to memory 10 recipes- that still doesnt cover even an entire skill fully- but does allow for crafters to maybe focus on something they love or want their characters to really be specialized and developed in!

Kristijonas
Character: Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » December 13th, 2018, 9:29 pm

I really like your idea.
I thought about this myself.
My primary concern is in end-game, everyone can have learnt everything and then things like rarity become pointless.
I think specialization is key. Let crafters have to make choices on what items they specialize in making.
However, I'd set the limits not with world lore skill, but with trade skills.
For example:
10% (or 20%) skill = 1 recipe that character can know of that trade. So at 120% blacksmithing for example, a crafter could know 12 (or 6) master recipes.

SeminoleScam

Post by SeminoleScam » December 13th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Again- as I stressed, you cannot learn it all, but you can focus.

poorchinix
Character: Raithe Atlas

Post by poorchinix » December 16th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Or mayhaps a long-term solution. Once you've crafted something X times you gain the ability to craft it whenever. After 50-100 times crafting it you retain the knowledge.