Eleanor (Ellie) Shaw

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
redcrayon
Character: Kylana Steel

Eleanor (Ellie) Shaw

Post by redcrayon » December 15th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:
A small amount, I played one previous character for several days before they met their untimely fate, and I have another ongoing at the moment. I just bought my second character slot!

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:
I have 18 years of roleplaying experience, starting in short RP arcs in games like Star Trek: Elite Force before finding Neverwinter Nights in 2004. I’ve roleplayed a variety of characters across many settings there ever since.

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?
My expectations are wide open, I am hopeful for a roleplaying experience full of intrigue, with diverse story and challenge for my character. I was recommended to come and play by my good friend Ghost4Life.

What will your character’s name be?: Eleanor Shaw

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features: Ellie is a young woman, appearing to be in her mid 20s. She has long brown hair and hazel eyes. She stands at 5 feet and 5 inches in height, and is often seen garbed in leather, with a bow slung about her torso.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:
Ellie is a hunter in the wilds. She makes a meagre living selling the game she brings down with her bow. Given the state of the world, and given how her usual hunting grounds are becoming more dangerous… and not just with the usual big game she likes to hunt, she decides that she would put her skills to better use. Stories from those she trades with of the potential for greatness First Provence has to offer has its allures, and Ellie is not immune to them.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):
Ellie was orphaned at an early age by roaming bandits. She lived on a farm with her parents, living off the land. Her father taught her archery when she was growing up, and when the time came to flee from the only home she ever knew, that is how she made her living. She refused to turn herself in to the authorities, having heard horror stories about the orphanages. She became a hunter, selling hide and meat to tanners, butchers and taverns to keep herself in coin.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario: 
You have finally arrived at your destination; the Rumbling Pass checkpoint. Before you stands a massive outpost, looking to have been erected only recently, of which is patrolled by numerous Legionnaires and Church Templar. The outpost guards the only viable entrance to the recently quarantined First Province; the home of Tor, the fallen capital of the Republic. Sitting at the foot of the massive mountain line that effectively contains the First Province within, the outpost serves as the last obstacle you must overcome before gaining entry into the quarantined territory. You and others like you assemble outside of the palisades of the outpost, awaiting the opportunity to speak your case to the presiding Legion officiant who is processing admittance to the Province.
You watch as but a scant few of the dozens that approach the officiant, whom stands at the outer gates of the outpost flanked by a few heavily armored Legionnaires, are actually allowed to pass through the man-door and into the outpost. You see some slip pieces of gold to the officiant, while others plead their cases and rationale as to why they should be allowed to enter the recently fallen territory. Some appear to provide some sort of paperwork to the officiant, whom promptly waves them through. While eavesdropping, you manage to overhear the well-rehearsed speech the officiant provides to those whom don’t provide paperwork or grease his palm.
“By decree of the Venerated Church, the First Province is considered to be a mortal health hazard, and as such, is quarantined under Article Eighteen of the Republic Treatise of Health Act of 1320. Citizens who do not possess a Quarantine Visa issued by one of the recognized Factions of the Republic are considered non-essential to the reclamation of the First Province. Under Article Eighteen, non-essentials seeking entry into an official quarantine zone must petition for entry into a said zone, and state just cause for the issuing of a visa by the perimeter authority. State your business and make it good, citizen; we’ve enough bodies in there to keep us busy for months without adding yours to the pile.”
You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It’s well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery. However, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant. Gathering your wits, you make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.

Ellie sighed as she stared around the sorry state of affairs that met her eyes. She may be nobody, but she knew in her heart she was more capable than any of the people clamouring before her to get into the Provence. The stench and the despair all around wasn’t going to be infectious though.

The first thing she needed was someone with more money than sense; someone who looked rich, but hungry. It had been a long road getting to the Provence, and with a long road comes plenty of hunting opportunity. She saw her mark; a flustered looking highborn man flanked by armed guards.
“’Scuse me,” she said, walking up to the man. Immediately, two spears crossed in her path, the two guards flanking him blocking her access to him. She laughed.
“Couldn’t help but overhear yer predicament there, fella. Y’mentioned not havin’ anythin’ t’eat?”
The man eyed her warily for a few moments, then gestured the guards to unbar her path, having seen the half-dozen rabbits hanging at her belt.
“Indeed, I’m a caravan merchant, but I deal in steel, not food.” He sighed.
“Well, t’day, fella, is yer lucky day. I have these ‘ere rabbits fer sale, an’ all fer the low, low price o’… whatever a pass into the Province is these days.” She grins.
“Outrageous!” The man spluttered. Six rabbits isn’t worth-”
“Yer money ain’t worth nothin’ if ye starve, mate.” Ellie cut him off with, holding up a hand. “But, whatever y’say.” She turns slowly, walking away. Three. Two. One.
“Hang on, hang on!” The merchant blustered. Ellie grinned to herself, turning back around.

A few moments later, Ellie had the coin to work on item number two on her list. She walked up to the Official, tossing the bag of coin up and down in the air.
“I’ll take one o’them nice official passes there, fella. Make it a crisp one, eh?” She winked at him.
The man’s lips curled into a smile, his eyes following the trajectory of the coin purse. “That can be arranged, if the coin is right.”

One transaction later, and Ellie took her first steps into the gates of First Provence. Her eyes widen as she takes it all in. “Well, better get t’work...”

Kristijonas
Character: Kristijonas

Re: Eleanor (Ellie) Shaw

Post by Kristijonas » December 15th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Congratulations, adventurer. Your application is...

Approved.

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!