Caden Thorne

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
karljk
Fresh Meat
Character: William Amraphel

Caden Thorne

Post by karljk » January 5th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:
I have no prior experience with Requiem.

Briefly summarize your prior role-playing experience in a sentence or two:
I’ve roleplayed on Forums, MUDs, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Pen & Paper (D&D and others), Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, and so on. All of my prior experience is in enforced “no nonsense” roleplay, though never with permadeath mechanics.

Why do you wish to play on Requiem, and what do you expect from the shard?
I haven’t roleplayed for a while and, wanting to play UO again after a long hiatus, I thought I’d try out an RP shard. I like the lore and the apocalyptic theme, as well as the sound of the mechanics. I expect fun and immersive roleplay, and I expect my character to die sooner or later.

What will your character’s name be?:
Caden Thorne

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:
At present, Caden appears to be in his early twenties. He stands at six feet tall with a lean build, sandy blonde hair, grey-blue eyes, and fair skin. The lad would generally be considered to be fairly handsome, though it is obvious that he does not care too much about his appearance. His self-maintained short hair is unkempt, and the short but unshaven beard is patchy and more resembles a goatee than a full beard. In terms of visible scarring, there is a small diagonal scar by his left cheek bone.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:
It was his older brother’s idea; coin and adventure. At least it would be something exciting and different from the old life. They had skills that could be of use. Half-way to their destination, an encounter with one of the Ill separated them. All that matters now is survival and to find his brother. If he’s not in the First Province already, then he may end up there soon... hopefully.

Briefly provide a pertinent detail or notable quality of your character’s history (this does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret):
Caden and his older brother Marcus were taken in and raised by their uncle Duncan after their parents succumbed to the Torment. The old man was a proficient hunter and trapper, choosing to live in seclusion the woods, a day’s walk away from the nearest town. They would only venture into civilization when replenishing supplies, selling furs and salted meat, or when Duncan wanted to have too much ale and cheap wine - which was a fairly frequent but welcome excuse.

Thanks to Duncan, the brothers were fed and protected from the occasional monstrosity that would wander too close to their cabin. Through him, the brothers were provided with the knowledge and skills pertinent to survival in the cruel wilderness.

Many years later, the brothers had become fully grown men and old Duncan was fully in the grave. Continuing to live in their uncle’s old cabin wasn’t an exciting prospect, and they wanted to experience more of the world - however dangerous it might be. They caught wind of the First Province while in town on one occasion, and after trading the cabin and everything that they could not take with them for supplies and coin, they set out to the First Province on their own.

Briefly write an in-character response to the following scenario:
You ponder the situation for a moment, evaluating your options. It’s well known that with the right connections and the right amount of coin, one can get their hands on a Quarantine Visa from any one of the major Factions of the Republic, or even a passable counterfeit from more nefarious sources. At the same time, it would appear that the officiant doesn’t appear to be above some simple bribery. However, you’re sure that some of those let in appeared to have made a convincing case with the officiant. Gathering your wits, you make your decision as to how to gain access to the First Province.
Caden caught up with the group of travelers four days past, and he’d welcomed the company despite him mostly keeping to himself. By the time he arrived at the checkpoint, he was hungry, cold and with scant few coins in his belt pouch. Mindlessly, he approached the line, but his heart sank when he saw people being turned away.

Overhearing the officiant’s speech, he tensed up. The Quarantine Visa was something he’d known about, but there wasn’t enough coin - it all had to go to the journey. Besides, who would they have talked to? The plan was just to sneak in, and it didn’t seem to be an option at all. What did he expect, a fence? Oh, and better not think on being added to the pile of dead bodies. Should he turn around now? Marcus might be in there.

Caden rubbed the back of his neck and sighed quietly. Taking a deep breath, he visibly relaxed and set his gaze back on those at the front with the officiant.

Having seen how business was conducted, he reached back and turned his backpack as he twisted to see if the rabbit was still hanging there. The furry animal had been careless enough to get itself caught shortly before Caden entered the tunnel. It was supposed to be dinner, but perhaps the rabbit could put him in the officiant’s good graces somehow.

When it was finally his turn, he walked up to the officiant, holding the rabbit by the ears.
“I’ve no visa... but I can hunt, make traps, build shelters, and skin animals. I’m handy with a bow, axe, and knife.” He held the rabbit by the ears and brought it up to eye-level with a slight smile, head tilted in its direction. “My most recent victim. Fresh. It is yours if you want it, skinned or no.”

Kristijonas
Character: Kristijonas

Re: Caden Thorne

Post by Kristijonas » January 7th, 2019, 10:26 am

Congratulations, adventurer. Your application is...

Approved.

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!