Rolling Agriculture into Horticulture & Skinning

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Voss
Character: Mikhail Voss

Rolling Agriculture into Horticulture & Skinning

Post by Voss » March 9th, 2021, 1:31 pm

I see a lot of thematic and definitive similarities between parts of Agriculture and Horticulture/Skinning and am wondering if we could see the abilities and perks from Agriculture rolled into the Horticulture/Skinning skills?

Horticulture is a good skill on its own, though it is also apparently not as thoroughly fleshed out or interesting as Geology. This might be addressed by rolling the planting and growing aspect of Agriculture into Horticulture. Agriculture on its own seems like it would not be profitable and requires a lot of work for very little reward in comparison to the cost/reward of the rest of the trade skills. Not only that, but a horticulturist should be able to plant and harvest crops just the same.

Secondly, roll some portions of Agriculture into Skinning. The plant growing/harvesting into Horticulture, and the cooking/meal prep portions into the Skinning skill. Sort of works thematically into the whole cutting/prepping meats and other ingredients into a cooking pot.

Domitian
Character: Tacitus Etiam

Re: Rolling Agriculture into Horticulture & Skinning

Post by Domitian » March 9th, 2021, 4:28 pm

I've got to say - I love my Agriculture and initially reacted to this with "touch my agriculture and I'll cut you", but you have some good points.

I spend an obscene amount of time sitting in the farms or wandering the wilds for plants ... and then cooking them, but have not found it at all profitable. I'm guessing part of this is the abundance of food dropped from mobs throughout the world leading to only crafter types needing to buy food (warriors just take it off bodies).

Now that said, my skill is only in the 50s, so maybe there is some profit to be had at higher levels of Agriculture.

I'm not sure I'd want it rolled into the other skills, but I do agree on your points that it may be underwhelming compared to other Trade skills and fit more logically as a gathering/Talent skill.

PS - stay away from cotton and flax. I hear it spreads the torment and your character should definitely not touch it. Let me take that risk for you.... :P

Luci
Character: Aradia

Post by Luci » March 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Just a quick note on high level agriculture- cooking is really useful at high levels and MW food can regain stats and a few other things that I am not recalling- it is definitely useful if you get it high enough as a skill

Voss
Character: Mikhail Voss

Post by Voss » March 9th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Domitian wrote: March 9th, 2021, 4:28 pm I'm not sure I'd want it rolled into the other skills, but I do agree on your points that it may be underwhelming compared to other Trade skills and fit more logically as a gathering/Talent skill.
While I do agree/believe that the Agriculture system that was developed for Requiem is awesome, I still see it as being underwhelming relative to the other really amazing and in depth production trades, particularly in the realm of overall utility and profitability.

The second thing I was touching on was how to address Horticulture and Skinning being underwhelming relative to Geology (its not that they're bad, Geology is just ridiculously awesome compared to them). Geology is just in a class of its own, with this amazing mining system featuring mine shafts and all kinds of really creative elements that have gone into the system. I feel that Horticulture and Skinning could use a little bit of a boost to give them that little extra something that is lacking relative to how great Geology is... hence the suggestion to kinda kill 3 birds with 1 stone by rolling the abilities/perks in such a way that we maintain every bit of functionality, but do so by making these other 2 gathering professions even more special.

Alternatively, if Agriculture is kept to its own, maybe alter it so it's Agriculture/Ranching and give them the ability to tame and domesticate certain animals and be able to sell them with a whole animal breeding system. I'm thinking being able to breed and sell mounts or guard dogs would be a good money maker. Dogs could be trained to specialize in either fighting, sniffing out bombs or contraband, sniffing out stealthers, or to provide aid/comfort for the injured

Domitian
Character: Tacitus Etiam

Post by Domitian » March 10th, 2021, 8:41 am

All good points. I definitely agree that Agri is underwhelming compared to other options, and Hort seems better, but obviously not on level with geology. I havent tried much skinning yet.

Agri might be better if they made the farming/growing your own crops more viable. Right now it is too hard to grow your own crops leading to too much scarcity. If we could harvest and sell high-demand items in reasonable quantities (cotton for example) then there would be more value in it, but currently I'm only getting a handful a day from constant lurking of the farms.

I think moving the farming system to a lower level so that success isnt so contingent on very high levels of skill would help the profitability of Ag.