Lets talk: Poison

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Roman
Character: Albert De Velle

Lets talk: Poison

Post by Roman » March 28th, 2021, 4:06 am

I would like to talk about the poison mechanic

Poison seams extremely overpowered as it not only deal tons of damage but also works as a "mortal strike" and block healing. What is most of poisons (even with perks) cannot be cure by [grid mechanic forcing people to avoid poisonous monsters or having a lot of poisons mixtures with themselves.

Poison is also applied in every hit from what i observe (for example snakes) that force you to drink mixtures every time you get hit blocking you form attacking (as you need to disarm to drink potion)

This can be even more problematic in pvp where additional damage and blocking healing without using any skills (like mortal strike) seams overpowered.

I would like to propose the changes:
-Cure mixtures if not manage to cure poison reduce it toxicity
-Cure mixture if manage to cure poison gives you short poison immunity.
-Grid should be still be able to heal even if you are poisoned (if you not gonna cure toxin you can mitigate some of the damage from it)
-I have not knowledge about what poison can be found in the world for pvp purpose but i will add additional poison type that instead of damage just blocks healing for different playstyle

Carpenter
Character: Ines Carpintero

Re: Lets talk: Poison

Post by Carpenter » March 28th, 2021, 9:02 am

I think it might help if some cure pots offered brief immunity from poison if they are successful at curing the condition in the first place. It also occurred to me people might want to drink cheap cures to keep an immunity going, so that's something to consider as well.

Alternatively, all cure pots could bestow some non-stacking poison resistance. This effect could have a longer duration like one minute. You might not want to keep chugging cures to stop a mob from poisoning you with every hit (or to keep a 5s immunity going), but you might enjoy taking less damage from the poison based on the potency of the cure you drink.

Domitian
Character: Tacitus Etiam

Post by Domitian » March 28th, 2021, 10:17 am

Carpenter wrote: March 28th, 2021, 9:02 am I think it might help if some cure pots offered brief immunity from poison if they are successful at curing the condition in the first place.

Alternatively, all cure pots could bestow some non-stacking poison resistance.
From my very limited experience with combat in Req (PvE only, less than 50 skill, but lots in classic. UO), i definitely agree that poison seems a bit OP and with these. I feel like another option would be to remove the ‘mortal strike’ facet of poison, being able to heal through it makes it a little less powerful and restrictive and turns it into effectively a mechanic to add pressure to the player rather than the primary, 100% thing that must be dealt with immediately. Obviously, you could then tune the higher rank poisons up a bit to compensate.

Another possibility to help balance it a bit would be to make potions (or just cure?) usable with items equipped in the hands. Ive always found the “unequip/drink/reequip” process to be more a mechanical pain than a value to RP/or game. It would make more sense to have potion use add a timer delay to the next weapon swing instead... this effectively accomplishes what i think the original intent was (keeping you out of combat while you drink) without the mechanical headache of manually doing it or the macro/script that everyone uses to get around it anyway.

Also, nerf the small wolf spider or add a skill that lets me use my boots to [squish them ;)

CuteAndWhisk
Character: Me

Post by CuteAndWhisk » March 28th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Although I got KO'ed a few times by poisons, I must disagree.
All poisons are curable, it's just a matter of purchasing the right potions to counter them. If one wishes to save silver on cures and ventures forth into dangerous lands of spiders and snakes, who is to blame?

Currently, the market for potions is slow if not nonexistent. [aid and [selfaid solves most of the issues encountered in pve. To solve your poison-related issues, start purchasing or befriend an alchemist :).

Healing HP while poisoned reduces the value of poisons to a bare minimum.

Non-stacking poison resistance - 5s immunity does not sound bad, but I suggest it should be
a rare recipe.

Drinking potions without having a free hand would be too much IMO. It's already too easy to disarm->drink->arm. But at least you stop dps'ing while performing such action.

Domitian

Post by Domitian » March 28th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Dupe - apparently my iPad doesn't behave on the forums ...
Last edited by Domitian on March 28th, 2021, 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Domitian

Dupe
Last edited by Domitian on March 28th, 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domitian

CuteAndWhisk wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:15 pm Drinking potions without having a free hand would be too much IMO. It's already too easy to disarm->drink->arm. But at least you stop dps'ing while performing such action.
This is exactly what I put in my post - remove the tedium of disarm>drink>arm as it is a macro for 90% of people and just punishes new players who don't know how to set them up. Instead just make drinking a potion start a X second cooldown timer before you swing your weapon again. Same effect as we have currently, but doesnt punish people who dont know how to (or that they should) create macros.

You end up with the same effect, without having to disarm.

Might be hard to program though, no clue there.

Roman
Character: Albert De Velle

Post by Roman » March 29th, 2021, 6:46 am

CuteAndWhisk wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:15 pm Currently, the market for potions is slow if not nonexistent. [aid and [selfaid solves most of the issues encountered in pve. To solve your poison-related issues, start purchasing or befriend an alchemist :).
I think you never fight something better then bushmaster. Most of normal poison is not curable from [aid
What is more you cannot cure it from low lvl cure mixture - you need recipe.
And anyway you need to spam it because EVERY HIT POISON YOU. you gonna lose TONE of money to fight monsters that poison and the loot will not be worth it and people will just skip such places. There is no the way it should go.

Using cure potions should be must be but not in the way it looks like now - spam after every hit or you cannot heal.

Mixture for increasing poison resistance sounds very cool.

I totally agree to delete this stupid arm/disarm option forcing people to use macro with no good reason

Orange
Character: Wendy Wagner

Post by Orange » March 29th, 2021, 12:20 pm

just after fights with neopagans mages and snakes.

it's just unbearable for me. I don't use scripts like disarm drink-arm
for me, it's a big problem to replace a two-handed sword with a bow and back, it just doesn't work! it's a pain. (as my husband said its a problem of runuo emulator)

now about the poison itself. it can't be cured in any way, even with the antivenom perk, you can't cure it. the whole game boils down to the fact that if you get poisoned, you already know exactly what you will fall.
it would be enough to simply not block the treatment at the time of poisoning. when a player is poisoned, he is already turned off from the battle until he removes the poison.

CuteAndWhisk
Character: Me

Post by CuteAndWhisk » March 29th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Orange wrote: March 29th, 2021, 12:20 pm just after fights with neopagans mages and snakes.

it's just unbearable for me. I don't use scripts like disarm drink-arm
for me, it's a big problem to replace a two-handed sword with a bow and back, it just doesn't work! it's a pain. (as my husband said its a problem of runuo emulator)

now about the poison itself. it can't be cured in any way, even with the antivenom perk, you can't cure it. the whole game boils down to the fact that if you get poisoned, you already know exactly what you will fall.
it would be enough to simply not block the treatment at the time of poisoning. when a player is poisoned, he is already turned off from the battle until he removes the poison.
So the entire system should be changed because you cannot be bothered to spend 5 minutes learning how to arm/disarm? Sorry, but games should not be balanced this way.

Purchase cures and your poison-related issues will be solved. Or do not fight anything that uses poison :P

Roman, I fight top spellcasters solo and with friends. :)
Yes [aid should not cure strong poisons.

You talk money - show me a warrior who isn't rich :)