The Legacy of One Benedict Arkhonen

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
Carpenter
Character: Ines Carpintero

The Legacy of One Benedict Arkhonen

Post by Carpenter » April 17th, 2021, 4:21 am

Benedict Arkhonen

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
- Terry Pratchett, Jingo

(( Will include spoilers - browse with caution ))

Inkubus Sukkubus – The Dark Goddess

Full Name: Benedict Arkhonen
Birthplace: Arkkuharjut, Arkhess
Birthsign: The Spirit
Appearance
Height: Above Average
Weight: Average (a bit low for his height)
Eyes: Green
Hair: Blonde, long
Skin: Pale
Handedness: Right
Posture: Upright, disciplined
Hygiene: Usually good
Scent: Honey and herbs

Physical Description:
Personality
General Health: Reasonably good
Profession: Occultist, woodsman
Faction Affiliation: None
Accent: Well-read Decusian

Hobbies: Reading, admiring the sights
Habits: Enunciating his words clearly

Personality Description: Reliable, respectful, partial to wordplay

History: Born to a small middle-class family in Arkkuharjut, Benedict was seeped in occult lore and strange sights from a very young age. His father worked as a gravedigger, while his mother had a fondness for books. He grew up in a festering state of conflict with his father, who would have preferred his son to grab the shovel or at least an axe instead of books. To hear Benedict tell the tale, he would still be living with his parents were they not taken by the Affliction. He blames the tragedy of his family on refugees who crashed on the shores of Arkhess and later worked their way further inland, bringing the disease with them.

Benedict’s mother taught him words, letters, and crafts. His father taught him hardship and work ethic. However, his greatest mentor were the glimpses of the occult the lone boy could catch at night when fleeing his father’s wrath into old burial sites and deep woods. When fear gave way to curiosity, Benedict found himself seeking out the strange things that made home around graveyards and deep in the woods. He danced around shambling dead, listened to the prattling of the departed in the wind and parlayed with wise men of the woods. The young man offered services in sweat and blood so that the beings he encountered would teach him words of old. With the words he had learned, Benedict attempted to speak with the remains of the dead and the mischievous spirits that often lingered close. He honed his craft with the forest folk. They all spoke of secrets buried deep in the land and the hunt for local secrets entertained the young man for good many years.

Despite his strange pursuits, the death of Benedict’s family shook the man to the core. He abandoned the place he once called home to yet another influx of refugees and sought himself refuge even further from home. The man met many a stranger during his travels and heard rumors of the fall of Tor and mysteries of an accursed monastery in the First Province. His travels took him to the Rumbling Pass, where he sought to begin his life anew. The First Province would be an opportunity to hone his craft – and to chase lore of the Monastery fallen to dark forces.

Strengths: Idealistic, Dedicated, Intelligent
Weaknesses: Self-assured, ultimately selfish

Governing Virtue: Spirituality
Governing Throne: Sacrilege

Carpenter

Re: The Legacy of One Benedict Arkhonen

Post by Carpenter » April 17th, 2021, 4:59 am

17th of Dewfall, 1346 A.S.

Ire of the Archangel: Placated – for now

The last of my family’s silver has secured me passage into – and through – the Rumbling Pass. I arrived with nary a coin to my name, a stranger in a strange place. While my true goal remains clear in my mind, I have assumed the guise of a simple woodsman in order to dissuade unwanted attention. My shelter remains free of anything suspicious, for I dare not commit my research in writing as of yet.

As my teeth tear into badly charred meat, I am inclined to thank my father for the one time he took me hunting. Cutting edible chunks of meat from the carcasses of the wildlife I tracked, and slew has proven a difficult task. My skill at preparing the meat is, likewise, well below my expectations. Nevertheless, I am sated. This day has taught me appreciation for the fine art of butchery and I shall hone my skills both to maintain my guise and to earn some silver with which I might procure the reagents and tools I need to pursue my true goal in the First Province.

Last night, I took the first tentative steps towards the fallen Monastery. The dead shamble the nigh-barren fields. Their movement makes the dry grass rustle, and their groans carry well in the night. Aiwella is every bit the festering den of viscera I was led to believe it to be. When I was looking at the bloodstained and delipidated fortifications, I found it difficult to imagine the ordinary lives the men and woman of cloth must have endured there. The ruins were certainly evocative, but they only told a tale of suffering and decline. My eyes were drawn to the shadows, in which I saw nothing but reflections of my delightfully creative mind. While my ears certainly caught the restless gait and groans of the dead, everything else I heard was nothing but wildlife and unfulfilled expectations. Spirits were quiet there, or I did not have the ears to hear them. They must have been silent, or I did not understand the language they spoke. However, I do not doubt whether they are there or not. The Monastery felt haunted when I visited it and it most certainly remains so even now.

There is much I must do before I may properly dedicate my time here to study and scholarship. I wait with nearly bated breath for the moment when I can finally delve into the ruins proper and explore the wealth of knowledge that must be cloistered within the fortifications.

Carpenter

Re: The Legacy of One Benedict Arkhonen

Post by Carpenter » April 18th, 2021, 6:58 am

18th of Dewfall, 1346 A.S.

Ire of the Archangel: Rising

I have made contact with the first local spirit. A resounding success, I must admit. It takes the form of a capable little beast of burden. It is my hope that the creature is ultimately ordinary enough in form and purpose that it will not arouse undue suspicion as the companion of a woodsman.

Having studied the origins of the creature as which the spirit appears, I have found out that it seems to be some kind of sheep called a mouflon. I do not know where these mouflons hail from, but I shall claim that it is a trusty companion from the stead where I am from. Surely it is not that extraordinary for people to travel with their precious livestock and beasts of burden, should they have any. I think I shall call it 'Sisu'. A reminder of home, if there ever was one.

While we were visiting Fort Praesidium, Sisu caught the eye of a man dressed in black. Judging by the Hat and the grim demeanor, I believe we came across a member of the Vigil. I had heard there might be a group called the Black Wolves here and the stories suggest they are not to be trifled with. I shall have to remain careful. So far, I have nothing suspicious on me, but that might yet change. It is best to remain friendly and accommodating.. for now.