Magic Lock does not lock doors

Resolved, closed or solved reported bugs.
Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Magic Lock does not lock doors

Post by Meowakin » April 19th, 2021, 12:34 am

Or more specifically, Magus Facio Contego Res. When cast on a door, the message "The door is now magically sealed!" displays, but the door does not lock.

Also, as I understand it, the spell no longer 'magically' locks doors, it simply locks a door mechanically, so possibly the text needs to be updated.

On the other hand, locking a lockable container works great and I'm now locked out of an (unimportant) crate that I don't have the key to!

Mektor
Character: Mektor

Re: Magic Lock does not lock doors

Post by Mektor » April 19th, 2021, 10:55 am

The spell used to make it so the door could only be re-opened after casting magic unlock. At first it chests could be unlocked with keys, but doors could not. I believe this was changed recently to have a similar effects. It also makes sense that lock should be able to be broken through lockpicking and so on. The previous situation was kind of silly and/or abusive.

That being so, the spell has lost most of its utility, as a container must already be lockable. In most circumstances, you will be the one who has the key. Question I do not know the answer to is the calculation behind the lock : i.e. how difficult is a magically locked door to unlock using lockpicking? Is it fixed? Is it based on your general arcana? How does it compare to engineer locks with locksmith perks?

If, for instance, it compares to an engineer with only the first perk locksmith perk, the spell offers no advantage over just using the key you most likely already possess. Same goes for Unlock, except that one increases your lockpicking -- the only really useful part of this duo, as you cannot simply unlock a normally locked door/chest using the spell.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » April 19th, 2021, 11:39 am

As I understand how it works now (no experience with past iteration), it will simply 'mechanically' lock the door, so it can only be used on a lockable door. The lock strength will be the door's installed lock.

I can imagine a few niche scenarios where this would be useful (almost entirely malicious). Zero use as a security measure unless you've lost your key (but then you'll be locked out/in).

Rex
Aeolian Staff
Character:

Post by Rex » April 22nd, 2021, 12:14 am

This spell will now simply lock a door or container that has a lock installed. The lock rating is uneffected.